Notices

Need help - Getting the run around from shipping company

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - Getting the run around from shipping company

Last edited by MidnightCayman; 05-05-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 343 Posts

First off, nice looking car. Congrats.

Second, it makes no sense to litigate over this. Not worth your time or the money. I would take a final stab at getting them to reimbruse you for all the repair costs by having a lawyer write a scathing demand letter. If you have a friend who will do this for you, great. You would be surprised how many people will react to a demand letter that is on legal letterhead.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Holy ****, that's some serious damage. I would demand it be made perfect, if you can prove the shipping company is responsible. Get the report from the guy who checked it out at DFC, if you don't have it already. Threaten going public, going to the media, consumer advocates, the whole nine yards. There's a guy in our local paper who does a consumer advocacy column once a week for automotive issues that consumers are unable to resolve themselves - usually it's "this garage screwed me" or "this dealer sold me a bad car" - maybe there's something similar in Halifax.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Another option is a collection agency for the repair bill. I had a towing company tow a CTS strapped down by the tie rods. They paid for the repair and agreed to refund half the towing cost, but didn't come through with the refund. After several letters and phone calls, I sent it to a collection agency. They kept 40%, but I got the satisfaction of having the towing company finally pay.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Viajero
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the damage to your vehicle, and the headache you are going through. I've been there.

I would only sign that release after they paid for all the damage that was done to the car.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
DTMT
7th Gear

Default Sorry to hear that

Congrats on your 997 and and I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

I would not recommend that you fight this one in court. All the money you could of spent on the car will be wasted on legal fees. Furthermore, even if you do fight it and win, it will be a drawn out process and will eventually cost you loss of enjoyment of a new car and money.
You can't be faulted for going public if you're only supplying facts.

Quick fix- I am a senior parts consultant at DFC. Give me a buzz at the dealership this sat between 8am and 5pm and I will offer you a special price for the part(bumperette) shipped to you. I will most likely have to order it which may take a couple of days and it will have to be painted, but its the difference between having an issue resolved in a week or taking it to court and maybe having it resolved in a couple of years...
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMT
Congrats on your 997 and and I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

I would not recommend that you fight this one in court. All the money you could of spent on the car will be wasted on legal fees. Furthermore, even if you do fight it and win, it will be a drawn out process and will eventually cost you loss of enjoyment of a new car and money.
You can't be faulted for going public if you're only supplying facts.

Quick fix- I am a senior parts consultant at DFC. Give me a buzz at the dealership this sat between 8am and 5pm and I will offer you a special price for the part(bumperette) shipped to you. I will most likely have to order it which may take a couple of days and it will have to be painted, but its the difference between having an issue resolved in a week or taking it to court and maybe having it resolved in a couple of years...
not to hijack the thread, but what other special prices on parts will you offer Rennlist members???!?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Shame about the car, this is the one I took pics of at pfaff when it was first there.

Good luck, get what you can but fix it and enjoy the car. Remember matte paint is special and not cheap to replicate.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Take what they offer and then name them.
Sounds like just an independent sphincter anyway.
The bumperettes have the screw impressions from whatever car it was parked up against.
BTW, you can get painted bumperettes from www.bumperplugs.com for $250.00
Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 PM
gtihop
Instructor

sounds like what happened to me from Hansen's when I had it shipped. Took months to get anything from them.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Def let us know who this is, so we can ensure others don't use their services too.

Them playing games, not answering calls, taking months to resolve etc is so unacceptable.

I would just get what you can, repair the damages and move on, wont be worth the stress.

Maybe you should consider doing a bumperette delete, looks very euro spec and sharp!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 PM
powderzone
Instructor

The car was insured during transport right? Assuming that is the case you should file a claim and let the insurance guys duke it out.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the new car!! Sorry to hear about the woes with the shipping company!!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the exact scratches on my 911 when I had it shipped from California. What the shippers don't get is that our community lives on referrals. If they are seen as careless and unwilling to rectify their issues, then none of us will likely ever use them. Social Media keeps companies honest and us Porsche folks are **** about how our cars are treated.

You said you bought this car from a friend through DFC. If he is like the rest of us, he will know of every defect the car has. Has he confirmed that there were no scratches and has DFC corroborated this claim? If so, and the shipper is willing to accept liability on some of the damages, they should pay for all the damages caused while in their hands. A law suit will cost too much time and energy, but they will lose much more in lost business through negative postings than the $600 it would cost them to fix the bumperette. Maybe you should send them to this thread so they can see what's brewing. All you need to do is insert their company name here and they can kiss a bunch of business goodbye.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Originally Posted by Viajero
Sorry to hear about the damage to your vehicle, and the headache you are going through. I've been there.

I would only sign that release after they paid for all the damage that was done to the car.
No release no check.

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
Shame about the car, this is the one I took pics of at pfaff when it was first there.

Good luck, get what you can but fix it and enjoy the car. Remember matte paint is special and not cheap to replicate.
Hi Jason, my son showed me the pics you sent, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately the paint cannot be waxed or polished.

Originally Posted by wc11
Take what they offer and then name them.
Sounds like just an independent sphincter anyway.
The bumperettes have the screw impressions from whatever car it was parked up against.
BTW, you can get painted bumperettes from www.bumperplugs.com for $250.00
The screw impressions were there at pickup and marked on inspection report. However, the cracks and frame imprint were not. To say that it was not marked down as its "2009 normal wear" is absurd.

Originally Posted by gtihop
sounds like what happened to me from Hansen's when I had it shipped. Took months to get anything from them.
It wasn't Hansens but a highly regarded enclosed transport company.

Originally Posted by powderzone
The car was insured during transport right? Assuming that is the case you should file a claim and let the insurance guys duke it out.
Not worth it to file a claim. They know this and are using it to think they have the upper hand.

Quick Reply: Need help - Getting the run around from shipping company