Notices

DRL Question for Canadian 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 AM
CATA19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DRL Question for Canadian 996

I have a '99 Canadian 996 with factory DRL's. I also have aftermarket LED's wired in to the sidemarkers.

I know that I can pull the relay and turn the parking lights on manually for my DRL's, however, I lose the high beams and the rear plate light when I turn on my headlights.

Does anyone know how I can change this or modify the relay so that when I turn the car on, only the parking lights come on and it doesn't affect my headlights or rear plate light?

Looking for any suggestions. Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM
King_James
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey is that Shaun Hedricks old car? It really looks like it from this angle...

As for DRLs, give this a shot: http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?24,1553073,1553073
Should be able adapt it to your LEDs. Renntech.org had a few articles on DRLs.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

I think you and I are trying to do the same thing. I recently purchased a set of xenon lights and it looks like xenon lights act as the DRL's. Is this the case with Canadian xenon lights? I'd rather have the fog light function as the DRL.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

I read that article, it will turn on the fogs as DRL but I wonder how you turn off the factory DRL's without killing the high beams and license plate lights?

I am interested in this as well, my headlights are getting a bit burned from the DRL's and I don't want it to get worse.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Revn29k00
I think you and I are trying to do the same thing. I recently purchased a set of xenon lights and it looks like xenon lights act as the DRL's. Is this the case with Canadian xenon lights? I'd rather have the fog light function as the DRL.
My HID are the DRL's, not my first choice, but then again I turn on full lights at all times for my DD and it has HID, so I suppose it's not much difference.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 AM
CATA19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Hey is that Shaun Hedricks old car? It really looks like it from this angle..."

Yep, it is Shaun's old car. I purchased it a couple of years ago.

I am basically trying to turn off the headlight portion of the DRL's but trying to keep the rest on and fuctioning. My LED's that are wired into my side markers will become my DRL's. Can the Relay be modified to do this?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

I bet installing a fuse/relay panel from a US car would work, but not sure how difficult that would be.

There has to be a way to jump the terminals in the relay socket to keep the highbeams/license plate light with the relay removed.

I am going to try and find a wiring diagram to see how they designed it.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM
King_James
Instructor

Originally Posted by CATA19
"Hey is that Shaun Hedricks old car? It really looks like it from this angle..."

Yep, it is Shaun's old car. I purchased it a couple of years ago.
Haha, thought so. Shauns a buddy of mine for many years. He bought a 95 F355 after that car which he sold and now has an S5 that's pimped up pretty well. He did a lot of stuff to that car, have you changed it much?

I am basically trying to turn off the headlight portion of the DRL's but trying to keep the rest on and fuctioning. My LED's that are wired into my side markers will become my DRL's. Can the Relay be modified to do this?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ng-lights.html

This thread said to just pull the big DRL relay and that's it. The guy tested all his lights afterwards and everything was fine. Give that a shot.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aviography
My HID are the DRL's, not my first choice, but then again I turn on full lights at all times for my DD and it has HID, so I suppose it's not much difference.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if I had another issue with my lights
Old 09-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Mr Fish Tank
Racer

Hey Revn29, did you manage to disable ur DRL's?

Quick Reply: DRL Question for Canadian 996