Notices

993 Windshield Install in GTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 993 Windshield Install in GTA

Can anyone recommend a GTA shop experienced with P-cars that could properly install a windshield in my 993?

I'm planning to cut mine out and save the glass as theres nothing wrong with it, just some light rust starting in the bottom corners of the channel. I want to clean it up myself and have a pro reinstall the glass.

Would appreciate any recommendations/experience.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apple Auto glass in oakville, they do all of Mantis's glass work.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Call this guy Pedro - 416-908-8526 he will come to you

Zook recommended him to do my 928. It was a tough job being 23 years old and he did fabulous work, very careful.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:16 PM
Czechered Flag
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Called Apple Auto Glass in Oakville and spoke with Mark about sourcing a replacement windshield. 8 years later and this thread is still valid - so great. If anyone has a body shop out near the AAG in Oakville let me know as I feel the glass installer (and remover) is just as important as the body shop. I hope to save the original glass but if there are any other options other than Pilkington for glass, Id love to hear them as it is pitted.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:07 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Call this guy Pedro - 416-908-8526 he will come to you

Zook recommended him to do my 928. It was a tough job being 23 years old and he did fabulous work, very careful.
+1 on Pedro - he came to my office a number of years ago and did a nice job on my DD.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:44 AM
Czechered Flag
Advanced

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
+1 on Pedro - he came to my office a number of years ago and did a nice job on my DD.
Spoke with Pedro as well and he let me know his brother Nelson is now taking care of things in the City. Nelson is also looking to see what glass is available but there is a shortage given the state of supply and demand globally...
Old 12-01-2021, 08:18 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Run far away from Pedro. He totally ****ed up my Golf R windshield. His partner snapped the mounting clips off my mirror, and they were going to try and glue it back on. LOL They reused the old cracked rain sensor gel. And the worst part is they mounted the glass too low so none of the ACC covers would fit.

In the end, I told him we were even since the glass was just a bit less than the cost of the new mirror. I then had to modify the covers to fit by using 3m dual lock, since the glass was too low. And I also replaced the rain sensor gel with a new one.

Total **** show.

Last edited by Adamant1971; 12-01-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:31 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
He did a great job on my 85 928, that was years ago as well.

Originally Posted by Czechered Flag
Spoke with Pedro as well and he let me know his brother Nelson is now taking care of things in the City. Nelson is also looking to see what glass is available but there is a shortage given the state of supply and demand globally...
Don't do it. Go to Apple in Oakville. After Pedro ****ed up my R I had Apple do the other car I needed to be done at that time. Mario also has lots of glass in stock. He even has a 928 windshield in stock, or at least he did back in the summer. He might have what you need.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Called Apple Auto Glass in Oakville and spoke with Mark about sourcing a replacement windshield. 8 years later and this thread is still valid - so great. If anyone has a body shop out near the AAG in Oakville let me know as I feel the glass installer (and remover) is just as important as the body shop. I hope to save the original glass but if there are any other options other than Pilkington for glass, I'd love to hear them as it is pitted.
Sorry, I just re-read this thread. I am in a similar situation right now with a full restoration on a 78. The glass is original and has the factory bronze tint, so basically not replaceable. I am looking at glass polishing to remove some minor pits and wiper marks. I am also worried about removal. The car is currently a bare shell with the windshield still in place.

So I am very interested in how you deal with yours.

Last edited by Adamant1971; 12-11-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:36 AM
Czechered Flag
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Sorry, I just re-read this thread. I am in a similar situation right now with a full restoration on a 78. The glass is original and has the factory bronze tint, so basically not replaceable. I am looking at glass polishing to remove some minor pits and wiper marks. I am also worried about removal. The car is currently a bare shell with the windshield still in place.

So I am very interested in how you deal with yours.
Im having continuous dialogue with Mark at Apple Auto Glass and I have to say that he's really making me feel comfortable with his follow ups and knowledge, including the specific requirements for my 993. He searched Canada and the US and was able to find a Pilkington windscreen that he's shipping to his shop to have on standby in case the removal of my original glass is unsuccessful. (So far he's been the only one that's located one available in Canada) He's also suggested someone near him that he highly recommends to remove the rust once the windshield is out, so I plan to have them quote once I get out there. I'll have Mark pull the rear window seals as well while its in to make sure it's clean underneath.

Adamant1971 - Mark stated he feels confident he can remove the original glass and reinstall afterwards (est out and back in after the repairs for $300) so we'll see how close a match the Pilkington glass is when it comes in and go from there. They're still doing all the glass for Mantis and European dealers with the rigs to set the glass properly in house, so Im thinking they're the right way to go. Certainly better then anyone else if spoken to since I started down this path... Keep you posted as the windshield on your 78 is certainly irreplaceable. I'll also inquire about polishing and other options once I'm there.

Old 12-02-2021, 01:59 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I would like to know who installs glass for Porsche North. He says "I didn't use glue". I say "what's all this hard black stuff oozing out of the trim and why are there big gaps?"
Old 12-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Im having continuous dialogue with Mark at Apple Auto Glass and I have to say that he's really making me feel comfortable with his follow ups and knowledge, including the specific requirements for my 993. He searched Canada and the US and was able to find a Pilkington windscreen that he's shipping to his shop to have on standby in case the removal of my original glass is unsuccessful. (So far he's been the only one that's located one available in Canada) He's also suggested someone near him that he highly recommends to remove the rust once the windshield is out, so I plan to have them quote once I get out there. I'll have Mark pull the rear window seals as well while its in to make sure it's clean underneath.

Adamant1971 - Mark stated he feels confident he can remove the original glass and reinstall afterwards (est out and back in after the repairs for $300) so we'll see how close a match the Pilkington glass is when it comes in and go from there. They're still doing all the glass for Mantis and European dealers with the rigs to set the glass properly in house, so Im thinking they're the right way to go. Certainly better then anyone else if spoken to since I started down this path... Keep you posted as the windshield on your 78 is certainly irreplaceable. I'll also inquire about polishing and other options once I'm there.
i highly recommend OEM Glass over after market - i have had Pilkington Glass on my 996 and never again! it was wavy and thinner and only last 2 years before i had to replace it again, since then i have only used OEM Porsche Glass from the dealer
Old 12-06-2021, 02:36 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Where do dealers like Pfaff send 991s?
Old 12-07-2021, 11:24 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I would like to know who installs glass for Porsche North. He says "I didn't use glue". I say "what's all this hard black stuff oozing out of the trim and why are there big gaps?"
on the 911 ? we both know that no sealer or polyurethane is used on that setup. did you put the black trim back on that forces out the seal to fill the gaps ??
Old 12-07-2021, 01:39 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
on the 911 ? we both know that no sealer or polyurethane is used on that setup. did you put the black trim back on that forces out the seal to fill the gaps ??
I don't think you can do it without the center trim. Service manager admitted the glue and has ordered all new trim to re-install. I can just pick up the trim and take it somewhere else if I wish and I'm leaning towards that.

Quick Reply: 993 Windshield Install in GTA