Notices

Targa Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:10 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they just don't promote it enough? I've followed Targa Tasmania just through YouTube since 2014 and their channel actually has pretty good coverage. Competition seems pretty serious, last year had 120 competitors (although that's including TSD entries), good mix of newer and older cars getting pushed hard. They've turned it into a tourism thing and its become a pretty big event - seems to be getting bigger with other related races occurring throughout the year.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaPaul

I don't know......I think they had the right combination to get a good variety of cars and drivers......but then maybe they tried to focus more on the "bull run" type of competitor than the more serious competitor????

I'd sooner see an old BMW or Porsche driven at 10/10ths on every stage........than a modern Subaru driven at 8/10ths. And according to the number of entries........and the number of fans at the events the last few years......I think so would a lot of other people.

They lost the serious competitor due to the lack of incentive for pros to drive the event.
Geographically, it is a great distance for people to attend the race with the car and crew with no incentive.
The concept is also alien to North America. Not many people understand the concept of a true Targa style event.

Typically there were more "tourists" looking to participate instead of actually competiting.
Given that they were paying customers the event accomidated them and it has become almost a majority of entrants to date unfortunately. So their focus had no choice at that point.

The 20th anniversary is coming up soon and it would be a good way to promote a real deal cash purse and get alot of interesting entrants.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:07 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Maybe they just don't promote it enough?.
That's a big part of it for sure. Its fallen off the radar of "grassroot" motorsport fans on the east coast that I know.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:54 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
They lost the serious competitor due to the lack of incentive for pros to drive the event.
I think they lost it when they removed the "handicap" system......

http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/2007/Targa/Targa07Press0.htm

http://targanfld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Standings-2.pdf

2007......57 competitors in Targa class alone! Another 15 I believe in Grand Touring.

2017......26 competitors in total......and now 4 classes.

2006 shows the skill level back in those days.......
http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/...ga06Press0.htm
.......after 5 days of racing.......0.12 of a second separates first to third place.

Last edited by TargaPaul; 03-14-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I think they lost it when they removed the "handicap" system......

http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/2007/Targa/Targa07Press0.htm

http://targanfld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Standings-2.pdf

2007......57 competitors in Targa class alone! Another 15 I believe in Grand Touring.

2006 shows the skill level back in those days.......
http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/...ga06Press0.htm
.......after 5 days of racing.......0.12 of a second separates first to third place.

2017......26 competitors in total......and now 4 classes.
Excellent point. Classing would be important to make it worth while for competitors.
So many types of cars show up for the event it is hard to place them in a class or overall....
Old 03-14-2018, 08:37 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Excellent point. Classing would be important to make it worth while for competitors.
Yup......but sadly its falling on deaf ears......especially since he wants to retire and sell the event.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Yup......but sadly its falling on deaf ears......especially since he wants to retire and sell the event.
I think new blood could get the event up to a new level. just has to be the right blood.
The 20th anniversary will be 2021 and could be a big year if planned properly.

www.targanewfoundland.com
Old 03-14-2018, 02:30 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

I think new blood could get the event up to a new level.
I wish it would!

I sold my old Honda (Oldford's old car) right after the 2010 event when they tossed all cars into just a flatout race........no matter how fast and or lucky a driver I am.....a 200hp car will aways get beat by someone who buys and brings more hp. A $7500.00 entry fee is a big chunk of money to me to enter an event where I have pretty much zero chance of a win if a guy shows up in say a GTR.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I wish it would!

I sold my old Honda (Oldford's old car) right after the 2010 event when they tossed all cars into just a flatout race........no matter how fast and or lucky a driver I am.....a 200hp car will aways get beat by someone who buys and brings more hp. A $7500.00 entry fee is a big chunk of money to me to enter an event where I have pretty much zero chance of a win if a guy shows up in say a GTR.
Yeah, I got killed by a Steve Millen in his GTR one year..... not nice when it is a HP war.

Quick Reply: Targa Newfoundland