Notices

New Ontario Emmissions Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpit77
Do they do emission tests on Via Rail, C.P and C.N locomotives ? If they fail ?
Tractors use a low sulfur fuel with an additive.Maybe they do too ?
I guess my little 1988 944S will leave a huge carbon footprint if I don`t get it tested every two years.
Your using reason here - stop that!

It's like asking if there is a big air filter along the Ontario border to absorb the fumes from the Ohio Valley - or vapour canisters for the air over the oil sands production sites. The list goes on and on and the BS is long. Let's attack the one element of anti pollution (modern cars) that has technology in place that actually works and and turn it into a tax grab. What the hell does the CCA and the Ontario Motorist Acc and other car groups do? They parrot the Governments party line about low speed limits yet do nothing to protect the motorist's rights in Ottawa and Queens Park from the attack on automobile owners while turning a blind eye to significant polluters elsewhere.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
There is a solenoid valve on top of the air cleaner that allows secondary air into the exhaust when needed.

Can you hear the turbine whine when you start it up cold that disappears after a couple of minutes? If yes then likely the secondary air pump is working and the valve is dirty (can be cleaned). What year and model and engine?

The heater circuit failure is usually the O2 sensor.

What are the exact codes thrown?
yeah i'm not to worried about the sai . i'l fix that later as its intermitent .. both combi valves are working and i hear the " jet engine" come on . im thinking maybe its the activation solenoid for the combi valve on one side or a leak in the vacuum line .. its intermitent so il sneak by that one im sure and fix it in the summer .. its the same side each time so should be an easy fix if i put my mind to it.

I think your right about the 02 sensor . with 400,000 on the odometer and about a half dozen O2 sensors now ( wifes car for years ) went out on the weekend plugge it in and even after clearing it poped right away , heater circuit resistance too high B1 s2 so its the cat efficiency O2 sensor downstream on the passeneger side ... bet the heater is gone in the o2 sensor .. i was gonna crawl under and check for 12v and make sure the heater circuit wasnt open but i decided scew it and picked up a couple of high performance Bosch generics for 50 bucks each. Il splice them in next weekend, didnt want to get under the car and then realize i need them .. if i was smarter ( and im not ) i would have replaced them when i repaired the flex pipes in the summer , it sure seemed warmer then.

it just pisses me off that i spend more time repairing the monitoring system of soemthing than the thing it is actually monitoring. Just part of the game i guess.

reminds me of a piece of equipment we use at work to monitor customers equipment , and if it fails , the device automatically calls us so we can combine service calls and save labour hours .. problem is we do way more calls fixing this thing then we ever did fixing the original equipment. ......oh well... job security for some people i guess.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Save some money and buy one off ebay and have it mailed via usps. takes longer, but way cheaper and the connector is already on it. I think I paid 35$ for the last two I bought.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpit77
Do they do emission tests on Via Rail, C.P and C.N locomotives ? If they fail ?
Tractors use a low sulfur fuel with an additive.Maybe they do too ?
I guess my little 1988 944S will leave a huge carbon footprint if I don`t get it tested every two years.
My commercial truck (diesel) was tested a month ago. Basically an idle test, high idle test for 30 sec., idle again for 30 sec. then high idle for 30 sec.
If nothing major pops up I passed.

Spoke to my mechanic today the old style dyno that was being used is basically obsolete, unless you have a pre-90's car.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

http://www.scrapdriveclean.ca/ontari...tion/#more-322

please sign the petition and save the xpipes, catless lol
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chimcu
http://www.scrapdriveclean.ca/ontari...tion/#more-322