Notices

New Ontario Emmissions Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Nobody is pulling cars 88 and older, out of junkyads to put them back on the raod. That's a bunch of BS.

As for the new etest. The ECU has to have a completed redyness. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. If all the emission system are ok by the ECU (and you are not running O2 extenders or sensor simulators) then the car has no reason not to run as specced from the factory. As far as I know, if the check engine light is on, that's pretty much a guarntees fail. OBD I cwrs will still go on the roller and now all OBDII diesels are getting plugged in. A lot of the guys on the TDI forum are panicking because many have completly deleted emission systems and are now trying to figure out a way to pass the new testing procedure. Before this, diesels omly has a visual inspection.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by theiceman
my 400,000km Audi isnt .. and although i sniff clean every year I have a dead SAI blower ( same system as 993 ) so the light is always on .. this could be BAD news for 993 drivers with sai issues..
The 996 had an electric air pump too. Some found an exact Bosh labelled replacement for a fraction of what the same part, in a Porsche packaging cost. It is very likely that you can find a cheap replacement as most of these pumps work the same way.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Diesel emision test

I had my work truck (CAT diesel) checked 2 weeks ago. It passed but there was a note saying high count at idle (something like that).
There was a notice around the testing equipment stating it is monitered by video at MTO.
I remember last time they tested it I stuck around. The test took 10 min.
Basically all they did was stick the analyzer in the exhaust then run up the engine to max rpm for 20 seconds, then idle for a minute then run up the engine again. They did this 3 times as per the Drive Clean testing equip.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I had my work truck (CAT diesel) checked 2 weeks ago. It passed but there was a note saying high count at idle (something like that).
There was a notice around the testing equipment stating it is monitered by video at MTO.
I remember last time they tested it I stuck around. The test took 10 min.
Basically all they did was stick the analyzer in the exhaust then run up the engine to max rpm for 20 seconds, then idle for a minute then run up the engine again. They did this 3 times as per the Drive Clean testing equip.
Yours is a large commercial diesel, right? Those were always in a different category from cars and light truck diesels.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i still think it is a huge cash grab for the auto repair industry and they ake licking their chops .. if it passes the sniff test you are not poluting and should be good to go ..
WAY to many opportunities to screw consumers on a one off code that may be stored .. we on this group probably know enough to makes things work .. but what about the single mom dependant on her older small car to get her to work .. maybe she has a cell from a one off incidemt .. dont you think she may be taken advantage of ?
whole thing stinks ..
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

For your Porsche, just find someone with a PST2 or PIWIS and program your car to ROW specs. It ignores the presence of the OBDII compliant emissions stuff but yet when scanned shows that all the readiness checks are met. As long as you leave your emissions devices on the car, the actual emissions will be the same. The only difference will be not having to worry about the stupid Drive Clean money grab. This is obviously not legal so use the info at your own risk.

-Todd
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i still think it is a huge cash grab for the auto repair industry and they ake licking their chops ..
They sure are, but this has always been a boon to them, I think: it's always been the case that you could be given a provisional pass if you spent $450 (I think) on repairs trying to pass. I've never felt very good about that. Someone who works for me just spent $444 on repairs, still had a CEL and had to go back to the dealer for more repairs (which still didn't clear the light) in order to get a provisional pass! He has a young family and is the only earner.

It seems pretty weak to me, but I assume that some dealer advocacy group lobbied the government quite hard for this.

As someone mentioned previously, it's especially insulting that our Rural Ontario farm trucks need to pass, but Northern Ontario vehicles aren't tested.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

I wonder if something like the above could be developed to make all OBDII cars pass?

On my 2005 Ford I used to get the occasional CEL for the EGR. I would clear it and sometimes it stays away for over a year.

On my scanner, I have codes and "pending codes". Will the car fail with a pending code? My understanding is the pending code is a sensor that has shown output out of range but it needs to do it a certain amount of times before you get a CEL.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Ah F**K yet another obstacle. How far north do I need to move.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Holyoak
For your Porsche, just find someone with a PST2 or PIWIS and program your car to ROW specs. It ignores the presence of the OBDII compliant emissions stuff but yet when scanned shows that all the readiness checks are met. As long as you leave your emissions devices on the car, the actual emissions will be the same. The only difference will be not having to worry about the stupid Drive Clean money grab. This is obviously not legal so use the info at your own risk.

-Todd
I can probably purchase the cable but how to program the car to ROW (Rest of world?) specs is another question? Anyone can assist? would be greatly appreciated. Sorry new to this ECU stuff. Can this be done with the Durametric tooL?

Last edited by Chimcu; 02-07-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Ah F**K yet another obstacle. How far north do I need to move.
Sudbury, I think. I could be wrong, though, so don't start shopping for houses up there until you verify.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Sudbury, I think. I could be wrong, though, so don't start shopping for houses up there until you verify.
Quite a bit of cottage country as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Problem solved.
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_078453.pdf
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 10 beer stores north of HWY 7
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Guess I need to buy a cottage just right of Grand bend, and we can all register our cars there

My 92 still has OBDI, so I still get sniffed..

Quick Reply: New Ontario Emmissions Test