Notices

Seeking Speeding Ticket Fighting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking Speeding Ticket Fighting Advice

I seem to get a speeding ticket once every 10-12 years. So I guess I was overdue.

77km/h in a 50km/h zone, on a service road directly adjacent to the southbound 400, south of Sheppard. This road has no speed limit posted, yet is fairly wide; so one could easily assume there is no change in speed limit on this road when entering it from a major thoroughfare such as Sheppard.

I had slowed to take a turn and the officer decided to pull me over. I was polite and cooperative, and argued that if we are supposed to drive 50km/h on this stretch of road, there should be sign indicating this. There are enough distractions on the road as it is and drivers should not have to second guess whether there was a speed limit sign posted waaaay back. But he decided to ding me for the full amount anyway. As I was the only car on the road for at least a 1/2 km in either direction, and the 400 is right there, I have no idea whether the officer pointed his radar gun directly at me, or at some car on the 400. I didn't see the radar gun's display as the sun was glinting off of the display area when the officer showed it to me.

I realize that speeding tickets fall under 'absolute liability', and that it Toronto, where there is no limit posted, the speed limit is 50km/h. So, yes I am guilty. But I've decided to fight it. It's not so much the driving 'tax' as it is being hit for an insurance increase for the next 3 years. Honestly, why should the insurance companies get to profit more than the city does? It's not like the insurance company pulled me over.

I would gladly pay the full amount stated on the ticket if they reduced the charge to a non-moving violation. That way, the city profits, and I've learned my lesson, and the insurance company can't profit.

Before you guys recommend Forch at Redline, or any other ticket fighting service, I should point out I would like to try to fight this on my own. Although I would consider calling Redline if there is strong evidence to suggest I'd be better off doing so. Court date is in mid-March. Any suggestions you guys can give me on how to fight this would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

If this is your first infraction in 10-12 years, it shouldn't have any effect on your rates.

Btw, if not posted, the default speed limits are as follows:
100 km/hr on all 400 series highways
80 km/hr on open paved highways (2 lane) unless otherwise posted
50 km/hr coming into a city or town limits
Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

Consider yourself lucky if you drive regularly in the GTA and get one ticket every 10-12 years. The Crown will likely offer you 15 over and a small fine given your record. It will be a moving violation. Getting it thrown out means a due process Charter claim (need a long court date for this to work...12 months plus from the offence date) or a material issue with the ticket or evidence of speeding. Keep in mind that your insurance co. doesn't give a rats *** about the Ministry points, they treat any ticket from 1-49km/h over the same. They count against you and if you get 2 in close succession it will likely affect your rates.

Good luck with your court date
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Google fyst.ca. Fight every ticket.

RK
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Read this VERY LONG thread http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ask-m...ng-etc-945928/

Lots of useful information.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Pm me ill give my paralegals Info.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Just go se the prosecutor and see if he will reduce it. If he doesnt you still have an option for court
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I fight every ticket and I have had a lot by just talking to the prosecutor I have had about 75% of them reduced. Will probably drop it to 15 over, at least you save the points.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all for the feedback. Some very useful advice.

Zookie - PM'd you

Tommy
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Burkey
I fight every ticket and I have had a lot by just talking to the prosecutor I have had about 75% of them reduced. Will probably drop it to 15 over, at least you save the points.
+1. First appearance with the Crown is your best bet. They are there to knock it down to expedite the process.

Quick Reply: Seeking Speeding Ticket Fighting Advice