Notices

Searching for 928s in all the wrong... or right? places...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Thanks for the props guys, Elgy here is the link to my ad if you want to take a peek.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ed-1985-a.html
Hi Ted,
I alreadysaw your ad... awsome machine, if I was a bit richer I would be tempted, but I have to be realistic with the budget...
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Besides, that car in the add is an early 32V. The engines are totally different from the 87-up and the GT has special heads and cams on top of that.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by elgy
Hi Ted,
I alreadysaw your ad... awsome machine, if I was a bit richer I would be tempted, but I have to be realistic with the budget...
You are not going to find a 928 for less that doean't need $10000 worth of work. Trust me on this one, I've been in the 928 game since '98.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 519 Posts

Hi Ted,
The reality is you will spend close to 15 k on a 5 k car to get to where ted's car is.

I was lucky and found a one owner 85 for 5 k and the car was in superb condition and I already have 5 k into it and have not even done a top end re-fresh yet! And that does not include my recent paint job (insurance).

928 and budget do not mix.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

What exactly is your budget?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

My totally arbitrary short term budget is 5000$. Either a decent runner, or a project that with initial repairs and maintenance will come up to about that.

Today I saw one that looks interesting, '82 5-speed, all original, the paint is decent with some places that have to be touched up, leather interior in decent shape, no holes or rips, 90,000 Km with timing belt done in the last 3 years. Runs nicely. The owner is asking 6000$. I just had a quick look and it was not possible to do a road test (it is squeezed in the corner of a storage shed with another 928 and a Fiero, the storage shed is in a dirt yard that is mud at the moment since a mild spell has melted the foot or two of snow that we had.) If my buddy and I decide that we are interested we will go back for a detailed inspection, verify the service records and take a test drive... and try to get a better price. He also has a '82 parts car that supposedly has less than 70000Km but the interior was vandalised, broken windshield and lots of scratches and other flaws on the exterior. If I had a place to put a parts car I would try to get both of them.

I want also to have a look at an '82 auto that has been for sale for several months... but it is a 2 hour drive away so will have to find the time to do that with my girlfriend (she has the new Yaris for longer trips...)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 519 Posts

My totally arbitrary short term budget is 5000$. Either a decent runner, or a project that with initial repairs and maintenance will come up to about that.

Today I saw one that looks interesting, '82 5-speed, all original, the paint is decent with some places that have to be touched up, leather interior in decent shape, no holes or rips, 90,000 Km with timing belt done in the last 3 years. Runs nicely. The owner is asking 6000$. I just had a quick look and it was not possible to do a road test (it is squeezed in the corner of a storage shed with another 928 and a Fiero, the storage shed is in a dirt yard that is mud at the moment since a mild spell has melted the foot or two of snow that we had.) If my buddy and I decide that we are interested we will go back for a detailed inspection, verify the service records and take a test drive... and try to get a better price. He also has a '82 parts car that supposedly has less than 70000Km but the interior was vandalised, broken windshield and lots of scratches and other flaws on the exterior. If I had a place to put a parts car I would try to get both of them.

I want also to have a look at an '82 auto that has been for sale for several months... but it is a 2 hour drive away so will have to find the time to do that with my girlfriend (she has the new Yaris for longer trips...)
The pre 85 5 spd's are not the greatest gear boxes. Also 6k is way too much for an 82 in my opinion. There are several OB's in Ontario for far less.

Let me know if you want me to look at any local cars for ya.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
The pre 85 5 spd's are not the greatest gear boxes. Also 6k is way too much for an 82 in my opinion. There are several OB's in Ontario for far less.

Let me know if you want me to look at any local cars for ya.

Thanks for the offer, I have been watching Kijiji and Craigslist for Ontario, haven't seen anything really interesting. Are there other sites that I should be looking at?.
The more I think about it the more I think that it has to be a 5-speed, even a clunky one, personally I have trouble with the idea of a sporty car with an automatic...
While I technically I like the idea of a 32 valve... realistically a 16 valve would be better just because it is simpler. A clean '84 (with the 4,7 litre) 5-speed would be nice... like the one near Cleveland on Craigslist.
I agree 6000$ is too much for the '82 that I looked at... the seller didn't seem interested in negotiating and I am not in a rush. If it is in as good as it seems to be do you think 4000$ would be reasonable? I can wait till spring approaches and see if he will decide to negotiate.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

For another $1500, you can have Ted's car.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
noo way ouch .. ... i know he was looking to do this .. oh well .. whoever bought it then has a good lead on an engine
We found the problem and a new engine is not needed. See the thread here

Quick Reply: Searching for 928s in all the wrong... or right? places...