Notices

Should you not buy a car in Quebec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Since March of last year - MTO has new rules on repaired vehicle classes that are allowed to be registered in Ontario. That change alone wiped out a lot of fraud involved with crashed and rebuilt cars finding their way onto the streets of Ontario. In fact many of the cars before these changes that people 'thought' were from PQ were actually sourced in US jurisdictions such as Florida that had no restrictions on 'write off's' at the time. Many of the problems seem to occur with these cars being sent to auto actions after suspicious 'gaps' in the cars ownership history. For CarFax to have data on a car - it needs transfer information, police accident reports or Insurance industry claim history in order for the system to work. When vehicles are driven 'outside' this reporting system - this is when you can have a vehicle that has been repaired after a major crash and still be listed as 'clean'. This is all in addition to VIN fraud which is a whole other issue.

I think a lot of the PQ used car 'issues' are pretty much old news but you can just as easily get ripped off in Ontario as PQ if your not careful. Buy from a recognized dealer - preferably aligned with the factory of your model/brand and stay away from curbsiders!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is when I am looking for a rare manual tranny car (say a BMW, Audi or Volvo wagon) - there seems to be many more drivers in Quebec who like to row their own so that's one of the first places I start looking. A good PPI will hopefully help weed out the "suspicious" ones.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
All I know is when I am looking for a rare manual tranny car (say a BMW, Audi or Volvo wagon) - there seems to be many more drivers in Quebec who like to row their own so that's one of the first places I start looking. A good PPI will hopefully help weed out the "suspicious" ones.
Did you buy the 2010 6 spd 535 wagon from BMW Laval by any chance?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
The is no disclosure in Quebec so who knows what your getting.
Buyer beware. I personally would never buy a used car from Quebec unless it was a used Porsche from a Porsche dealer.
Unfortunately that is not a guarantee either but at least you stand a better chance if something is askew.. caveat emptor!

Quick Reply: Should you not buy a car in Quebec?