Notices

Help with racing at Mosport, oops canadian tire motor sport park..

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Red!
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not popular because the car isn't very good for the purpose...generally, things happen a certain way for a reason - go get monoball bushings, fiberglass body parts, etc. for a 928 - mid-season. Then consider the wealth of knowledge for 944s and go get expert advise from both the guys who race 928s....sell the 928 before you spend big money on it, use the proceeds plus half the investment and get a 944NA and there are thousands of parts, hundreds of opinions and years of experience.

Being a pioneer is expensive, and often unrewarding....since when you fail you need to start again or give up...
Old 12-25-2012, 08:24 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red!
It would be my pleasure!

BTW - your most economical way of getting to where you want to be is buying a used race car. Putting a cage in your 928 will cost you $3000, plus racing seats, plus, fire suppression, plus, plus... - buying a used, caged, 944NA will cost you $4,000 and its exactly half the engine to maintain and there are literally TON of go-fast parts you can get for it from Pelecan, Lindsey, Blassak, etc.
Do you have any links to a race prepped 944 for $4000.00? I would really like to see that. My searches did not produce anything near that price. But if one could be found at that price I would certainly look at it.

There is experience of 928's being raced. Successfully as well. They are not expensive to maintain as most think.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the system that CASC uses, negate any car you drive? You are placed into a group based on circuit times. If you breakout , you get placed into the next faster group. This appeals to me as you are not throwing cubic dollars at the car, but are just becoming a better driver and can improve the car as your desire to go faster increases.

Keep in mind that I am into this project for $500.00 so far. I have 2 spare engines and two sets of suspensions as well as a third set that is an S4 suspension with the big brakes for future use as my abilities outgrow the S brakes. I have contacts that can assist me in getting a cage built, I just need to design it first.

I will need to purchase a race seat, harness, hans device, helmet, and fire suit. I have budgeted for that. Is fire suppression a necessity? I thought if you can get out in 12 seconds just extinguishers were acceptable. Not sure where I got that info, though. Time for me get a copy of the rules.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the system that CASC uses, negate any car you drive? You are placed into a group based on circuit times. If you breakout , you get placed into the next faster group. This appeals to me as you are not throwing cubic dollars at the car, but are just becoming a better driver and can improve the car as your desire to go faster increases.
This just in: New for 2013 is a power to weight ratio without any break out rules in GT Challenge. Gt Sprints is still racing within a class lap time with break out rules. As far as the Challenge class: They put your car into a class based upon it's weight and power (as tested on a dyno that will be used in pre-race tech). You then go as fast as you want without being bumped up a class. This should kill off the sandbaggers. The trick will be determining which way you want to go in your car build - low weight/medium power or higher weight/higher power. Should make for an interesting first few races as everyone will be sorting themselves out and deciding if they made the right build decisions or not. I don't know if people will be able to change their set ups once they are teched for the first race weekend if they feel they aren't competitive in the class they have 'built themselves into' and if it you can go up and down in power/weight ratio's. You'd have to contact Nick Major who is race Director for the region for that info.

Is fire suppression a necessity? I thought if you can get out in 12 seconds just extinguishers were acceptable. Not sure where I got that info, though. Time for me get a copy of the rules.
Checking...

http://www.casc.on.ca/sites/default/...egulations.pdf

Page 68, rule 6.8

"It is recommended that Cars be equipped with on-board fire extinguisher systems."

So that's a no. (These are 2012 rules - updates out shortly) There is a pre-season tech inspection near you in the Kitchener area in the spring.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 12-26-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
This just in: New for 2013 is a power to weight ratio without any break out rules in GT Challenge. Gt Sprints is still racing within a class lap time with break out rules.
So GT Challenge is using the same formula as NASA/SCCA in the states then. When did GT Challenge come about? Was there not only two series before? The Touring GT and the GT-Sprints (GT-1 thru GTE or whatever?) )
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
So GT Challenge is using the same formula as NASA/SCCA in the states then. When did GT Challenge come about? Was there not only two series before? The Touring GT and the GT-Sprints (GT-1 thru GTE or whatever?) )
The Gt Challenge has been around for a couple of years now and generally run 1 hour races with a 3 hour at the fall BEMC event. There used to be no difference between the two series for rules but lately various drivers started to worry about the speed differences between G1 cars and the GT4/5 class. With the sprint series they might lap the slow cars perhaps twice at best in the 20 minute sprint race where as in the one hour GT race some of the slower cars get lapped by a Trans Am type GT1 car up to 6 or more times in the one hour event - so more potential for car to car contact or just plain catching a slow car at the wrong spot.

Some are happy with the new technical differences in the two series and some are not.

The sprint series gave a home to almost anything someone brought to the track and that was great for racing as it got cars out of the garages and onto the track giving us sometimes 40-50 car fields. The downside was a GT 5 Civic getting passed through station 6-7 at a 150km difference in speed... Mirror and blue flag watching was mandatory. There was an attempt at separation of classes at some events but this depended on number of cars registered. One of the BARC events they ran GT1-3 and another class with GT4,5 & 6 but it all depends on size of grids. Poor weekend attendance and everyone runs together. Formula Libra, F1200, F1600 and G70/Vintage have their own issues...

Many GT1 drivers say they will stay away from the Challenge class as the weight penalties proposed will restrict them too much as it will require them to build expense new motors (higher power/less life span) to carry the increase in weight or the flip side - they have to detune their current motors and run slower lap times then last year.

I think we'll see smaller grids for each series but more competitive racing for the grids that we do see.

The craziest race we had last year was an experiment that was tried out during the vintage weekend last year. 30 starters of all vintage classes and you started the one hour race based upon your avg lap time from past races. Some of the faster classes started up to 10 minutes after everyone else did. The theory was that everyone should cross the start/finish line on the final lap together. Didn't work out as a late full course yellow for 10 minutes helped a Bug Eye Sprite win over a 70's era Can Am car!

Last edited by Torontoworker; 12-26-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Bringing this back up as I have finished rebuilding the engine in the 928GT that I bought - for the second time - in 30km....there is a thread on reutterwerks on it...

Having said that, I am pretty sure this year is out for competition as I am about to build a garage-mahal-ette and that is going to take up a lot of time. But it will have a hoist bay and full small scale machine shop (lathe / mill / welders).

I may do a couple of track days in big bird (my name for the race car) after I get it running and road worthy.

I am still up to meet a few of you who are active at CTMP and get some further information. Look for me soon at a Saturdau GTG or maybe we can meet up privately for a drink.....
Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Bringing this back up as I have finished rebuilding the engine in the 928GT that I bought - for the second time - in 30km....there is a thread on reutterwerks on it...

Having said that, I am pretty sure this year is out for competition as I am about to build a garage-mahal-ette and that is going to take up a lot of time. But it will have a hoist bay and full small scale machine shop (lathe / mill / welders).

I may do a couple of track days in big bird (my name for the race car) after I get it running and road worthy.

I am still up to meet a few of you who are active at CTMP and get some further information. Look for me soon at a Saturdau GTG or maybe we can meet up privately for a drink.....
Way to go. I'm guessing it's in the 928 forum at RW? I'll go have a look.

Also, it's not Mosport, but the St. Lawrence Auto Club is running a really good track day on June 3 at Shannonville. No membership to anything required, and the track is great fun in a powerful car like yours. $180 for the day including lunch. Feel free to PM me for details (anyone).
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

The original build is HERE

And 30km later rebuild here
Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

I would like to attend an event or two this year to get a feel for what I want to do. Is anyone running in the CASC series that needs a gopher for a day or two? What is the schedule this year?

I also would like to talk to anyone who wants to give me the time. Maybe at this Saturday's G2G?

Let me know.

Thanks in Advance.
Rod

Quick Reply: Help with racing at Mosport, oops canadian tire motor sport park..