Notices

Help with racing at Mosport, oops canadian tire motor sport park..

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help with racing at Mosport, oops canadian tire motor sport park..

Can anyone direct me to my first step toward running my 928 project racer next year (hopefully) at Mosport? I have done a bunch of research already, but the information is scattered and I just want to make sure my timing is set correctly.

Keep in mind I am running a 928, so I am a cheap bastard just to start! lol

I know of the one school in April I think to get the race license which I will take, but any information that you could forward or help with would be much appreciated.

Things like what I will need for tech inspection, cage specifications, where to purchase safety gear, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your track experience like so far? If you're just looking to give it a shakedown, these guys will provide you great track access and a tasty lunch: 6th Gear (http://www.6thgear.ca/)

If you have never done a DE event, these two are excellent, and don't require you to buy a membership the way you do with PCA or (normally) the BMW club:
Dexter Autosport (http://www.dexterautosport.com/)
Apex Driver Training (http://apexdriving.ca/)

There are also the Upper Canada Region of PCA and the Trillium region of the BMW club, who are both known for their first class DE events and club racing.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to first decide which organization(s) you will be racing with, and also determine where that organization holds races. Then, you need to decide which class you want to run in within that organization. Finally, build the car accordingly.
As an example, some organizations require: dual door bars, welded in sunroof, roll cage of x diameter and y thickness, diagonal of roll bar in a certain plane, fuel cell, SFI certified window nets and right side nets, etc.
Some have graduated requirements and allowances based upon the class.

Some, on the other hand, have either much lower requirements or, in the rare case, they might have requirements that actually contradict those of another organization.

PCA has its rule book published on its website - that is a good place to start, but don't assume that making it compliant with PCA will mean you can also run in VARAC, NASA or SCCA

There aren't many 928's racing in PCA Club Racing. I have no idea about Vintage (VARAC) or some of the U.S. organizations (NASA and SCCA).
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

being cheap and racing usually don't go together.
as mentioned you can read pca rules online.
for the cheapest way to get on track, as well as have competition try time attack. where you are racing against the clock.
what have you done to your 928 project racer so far?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Turbodan
for the cheapest way to get on track, as well as have competition try time attack. where you are racing against the clock.
Well I understand that it is not cheap. I do have a boat ...lol

So far? Bought the base car...lol... need to get it running and see what is going on.

I know I really don't want to just run DE events. I want to have door to door competition, but I am not sure where.

I have looked at CASC in the GT series, and much of what I have read appeals to me.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Do you have any track experience?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

I have some carting experience, but none in a full size car. I have had a Porsche since I was 16 and know how to handle the car.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

I have been driving cars since I was 12 and am a quick study.

I am open to all suggestions, though.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by pontifex4

If you have never done a DE event, these two are excellent, and don't require you to buy a membership the way you do with PCA or (normally) the BMW club:

There are also the Upper Canada Region of PCA and the Trillium region of the BMW club, who are both known for their first class DE events and club racing.
self-quote.

Edit: I was in the same boat as you, and not to say that you're not capable, but I've found the DE development that UCR has offered has really improved my driving. It's a skills-based program, and if you're interested in getting the most out of it, you will.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

I agree with Charlie. Regardless of how well you know the car, you need experience with it on track. Private trackdays or UCR DEs are your best starting point before moving on to racecraft. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
I have some carting experience, but none in a full size car. I have had a Porsche since I was 16 and know how to handle the car.
Classic answer but let me tell you there's tons of things you can learn at a DE, so many start, like you, thinking then know how to drive but end up saying the opposite after 1 or 2 events.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
I agree with Charlie. Regardless of how well you know the car, you need experience with it on track. Private trackdays or UCR DEs are your best starting point before moving on to racecraft. Good luck.
Qualification for my comments...I'm not a racer.

But I do have a lot of time at Mosport. I echo the recommendations that you attend DE's or other track events with people who know Mosport before trying to race on this track. You may know the car, but there's a lot to learn about Mosport. It's a wonderful track, and a fast track, but it can be unforgiving, and there is a number of interpretations that someone with local experience can begin to familiarize you with.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

First of all, thanks for the responses so far. I do appreciate it. I guess I am still looking as to where and with what organization I want to run. I am still leaning toward the CASC GT series, but I need to do some more research. Anyone here running in that series? I am trying to put a cost together to be realistic about it.

Originally Posted by pontifex4
What's your track experience like so far? If you're just looking to give it a shakedown, these guys will provide you great track access and a tasty lunch: 6th Gear (http://www.6thgear.ca/)

I have looked at these and they seem to all be about 500$ for a day. This seems reasonable, but what about instruction? CASC has a driver school that is required to get one's racing license and they have class time and track time. I definitely think this is the best way to start.

Originally Posted by Quinlan
You need to first decide which organization(s) you will be racing with, and also determine where that organization holds races. Then, you need to decide which class you want to run in within that organization. Finally, build the car accordingly.
As an example, some organizations require: dual door bars, welded in sunroof, roll cage of x diameter and y thickness, diagonal of roll bar in a certain plane, fuel cell, SFI certified window nets and right side nets, etc.
Some have graduated requirements and allowances based upon the class.

Some, on the other hand, have either much lower requirements or, in the rare case, they might have requirements that actually contradict those of another organization.

PCA has its rule book published on its website - that is a good place to start, but don't assume that making it compliant with PCA will mean you can also run in VARAC, NASA or SCCA

There aren't many 928's racing in PCA Club Racing. I have no idea about Vintage (VARAC) or some of the U.S. organizations (NASA and SCCA).
What series do you run in? I am looking for direction as to what series to go to. I am not against setting it back a year if necessary or if extra practice is needed, but yet I will definitely go into one series or another.

This is why I posted here. I would like someone with experience to help guide my direction and possibly links to a series to get me started.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I came here to see what others are doing. I am looking to get into wheel to wheel competition. I said I was cheap but I am cognizant of the fact it costs money. I am not looking at the cheapest way to get on the track, but to get into competition minimizing the amount of money spent. I am not willing to spend GT3 money just to race. But race I do want to do.

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
I am not so foolish to think I can show up at the track and be a world beater. I know I must learn a lot. I am also not a complete novice.

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Classic answer but let me tell you there's tons of things you can learn at a DE, so many start, like you, thinking then know how to drive but end up saying the opposite after 1 or 2 events.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.
Oh, I know I don't know nearly enough. This is where I have come to to get the wisdom of those who have come before me. I am looking at getting into a series. Even if I do track days, I am still needing to set up a car for whichever series I compete in. That is what I am looking for. Help and or direction for that.

Originally Posted by Bill N
Qualification for my comments...I'm not a racer.

But I do have a lot of time at Mosport. I echo the recommendations that you attend DE's or other track events with people who know Mosport before trying to race on this track. You may know the car, but there's a lot to learn about Mosport. It's a wonderful track, and a fast track, but it can be unforgiving, and there is a number of interpretations that someone with local experience can begin to familiarize you with.
Yes I intend to do some instructional time on the track.

Basically I am looking for the wisdom of those here that do already race. I need time to prep a vehicle and myself. I do my research before I jump into any pool of water.

So, having said that, where to start? What are you guys running? Where did you start? What driving school is the best? What series is the most fun?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

There are many of us here who track our cars regularly, but most of us do trackdays or DE events rather than race. The point we are trying to make is that nobody goes from no experience straight into racing- it just doesn't make sense, and you probably would have a real tough time getting your race license with no on-track experience. FYI, I got my race license through ASE, who do race schools at Calabogie every year. . In my opinion, you should forgo prepping your car for any particular series for now; sign up for all of the UCR DE events for 2013 (6 weekends) as well as all of the events of either 6th Gear/Engineered Automotive/Apex or whoever. You can run all of the UCR events for $2,000 and run 10 or 12 private trackdays for an additional $6k. These costs do not include fuel or consumables, which will probably add an additional $5k over the season ($3K for fuel, plus tires, plus ?). Bottom line is that with a $10 or $12k budget you can run a full season (ie 18 days) on track, part of which would include PCA instruction (included @ PCA events). By this time next year you will know a hell of a lot more about A) yourself as a driver and B) your car as a potential competitive vehicle. If you want to speak to those who do nothing but race, talk to Early_Grace (Rob Miranda) who races a Cup car in the Canadian series, or talk to Matt DiStefano (jdistefa) who races a spec Boxster, or Arthur Quinlan who regularly runs in the Club Races.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.dexterautosport.com/TheEx...structors.aspx
Highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Help with racing at Mosport, oops canadian tire motor sport park..