Notices

Help with racing at Mosport, oops canadian tire motor sport park..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

This is very sound advice from everyone as we have seen many guys come on here and think they should start in the top run group because they are fast and need to prove it.
We are not being critical, just have seen ourselves progress to a place we (me lol) never thought was obtainable.
2 words. SEAT TIME!
I don't race, but, if I let you pass me between 1 and 2 at Mosport, I'm going to push you all the way through 2 and expect you to have the experience to know that you have to power down the hill and not worry about me. Not let off and roll. (ask me how i know) This takes seat time.
Just saying .....
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

You see, I disagree with most of you. I may have a bias as I've taken the CASC race school and have long watched people lapping who reached a peak and stayed there. In racing your always learning something new and learning what not to do... far quicker. If you don't like competition, passing people, hunting them down waiting for mistakes to get up beside them and pass - I get that - then track days are where it's at. But don't write off a race school for someone just because they haven't done many lapping days. I see people all the time who spend one weekend at Shannonville taking the spring school who have never done a lapping day and they do very well in their 1st season. It's about confidence in yourself.

Having said that... there is a reason why you don't see 928's racing... The parts needed to go racing on these particular cars are just this side of insane when it comes to pricing. Some of the stock stuff will not survive a 20 minute race at CTMP. Upgraded brakes, wheel bearings, upgraded cooling, lighter rims, comp camber plates, rear end coolers with fans, shocks, etc. etc. We had a 928 several years back in the region and he found it difficult to finish - mostly overheated at mid races and parked at 5C half of the time. When he was running he had no problem up the back straight keeping up with cars two classes higher. It was the weight of the car through the corners that was the problem as he was running pretty much stock except for the required safety mod's. I guess he didn't want to go whole hog and put in lexan windows and start drilling holes in everything and do engine mod's. It's that cubic money thing.

Now the best bang for your buck in order to go racing in a P car (hell any car) and one that has a high 'fun factor' - just has to be a 944. We have one class in region that should be renamed '44' class! There are a boat load of them and the drivers all appear to be having way too much fun. The PCA club race group is also a great series that should not be over looked as well. Just my 2cents.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the CASC-OR Schools.
My son and I did the Solo 1 ( Time attack ) school about 10 years ago at SMP.
We never went on to do the Race School. I was working out of the country and my son was chasin` skirts.
SMP is the safest track to learn performance driving. I think they have the school at CTMP on the DDT track now ?
Anyway small steps to get to your goal.Do some lapping with whomever ?AutoX is great too...not as easy as it looks.
Join your local CASC-OR Club which you have to do to get a Race License.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I remember talking to someone who used to race his turbo 944. The thing that I still remember to this day is that for a race weekend it cost him $5000.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

No faith in the 928 I see.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
You see, I disagree with most of you. I may have a bias as I've taken the CASC race school and have long watched people lapping who reached a peak and stayed there. In racing your always learning something new and learning what not to do... far quicker. If you don't like competition, passing people, hunting them down waiting for mistakes to get up beside them and pass - I get that - then track days are where it's at. But don't write off a race school for someone just because they haven't done many lapping days. I see people all the time who spend one weekend at Shannonville taking the spring school who have never done a lapping day and they do very well in their 1st season. It's about confidence in yourself.

Having said that... there is a reason why you don't see 928's racing... The parts needed to go racing on these particular cars are just this side of insane when it comes to pricing. Some of the stock stuff will not survive a 20 minute race at CTMP. Upgraded brakes, wheel bearings, upgraded cooling, lighter rims, comp camber plates, rear end coolers with fans, shocks, etc. etc. We had a 928 several years back in the region and he found it difficult to finish - mostly overheated at mid races and parked at 5C half of the time. When he was running he had no problem up the back straight keeping up with cars two classes higher. It was the weight of the car through the corners that was the problem as he was running pretty much stock except for the required safety mod's. I guess he didn't want to go whole hog and put in lexan windows and start drilling holes in everything and do engine mod's. It's that cubic money thing.

Now the best bang for your buck in order to go racing in a P car (hell any car) and one that has a high 'fun factor' - just has to be a 944. We have one class in region that should be renamed '44' class! There are a boat load of them and the drivers all appear to be having way too much fun. The PCA club race group is also a great series that should not be over looked as well. Just my 2cents.
I thought about a 944, but I have a 928 and lots of spare parts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the GT series based on bracket time? That if you go under your bracket, you get moved up into the next group?

I also have the S4 brakes and suspension if I need it, and the car when lightened is around 2900 lbs. According to the 928 guys 'S' brakes are fine for a while. When I need to brake harder, I have a S4 suspension and brakes to drop on the car. These are fine for competition use.

If he was over heating in a 928, maybe he should have turned off the air conditioning..

There are a few in the US that are running 928's and they don't seem to have problems with overheating or brakes.

Originally Posted by Imo000
No faith in the 928 I see.
I do! lol
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Quinlan
Racer

I agree with all of the comments regarding seat time, but as someone who also races, I understand the attraction of that as well. So, assuming you have the appropriate skill, or can ramp up to it reasonably quickly, let's deal with your initial inquiry regarding the car.
I race in PCA with a 911sc and (when my 944 is running...) 944 cup with a 944 turbo.
Racing is brutal on cars. Things WILL break and/or wear out. Frequently. So, you have to look at the cost, in both parts and labour, of fixing and/or replacing things on a regular basis. Look at the expenses of rebuilding brakes, suspension bushings and bearings, what size tires you will need (in Hoosier R6, because that is what EVERYONE runs), the cost of brake rotors and pads. You will probably have to replace most of these items 1-2 times PER SEASON. Then, you have engine and transmission rebuilding (you will get at most 5 years from these items, and depending on your driving style and luck, possible quite a bit less)
Since relatively few 928's were made (ie relative to 911's or 944's), used parts are harder to find, and more expensive. 928 specialized mechanics are few and far between.
You can probably sell your 928 and parts for what you have into them. Then, start with a clean slate and buy someone else's folly (race car) that ALREADY has been built, with a log book, to qualify for whatever series you want to race in. 944 race cars are a dime a dozen, and there seems to always be at least one 911sc race car for sale at any given time on the Rennlist Racing forum.
You will come out miles ahead of the cubic yards of dollars that you will pour into your 928 in converting it to a race car and running it for even one season.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quinlan
I agree with all of the comments regarding seat time, but as someone who also races, I understand the attraction of that as well. So, assuming you have the appropriate skill, or can ramp up to it reasonably quickly, let's deal with your initial inquiry regarding the car.
I race in PCA with a 911sc and (when my 944 is running...) 944 cup with a 944 turbo.
Racing is brutal on cars. Things WILL break and/or wear out. Frequently. So, you have to look at the cost, in both parts and labour, of fixing and/or replacing things on a regular basis. Look at the expenses of rebuilding brakes, suspension bushings and bearings, what size tires you will need (in Hoosier R6, because that is what EVERYONE runs), the cost of brake rotors and pads. You will probably have to replace most of these items 1-2 times PER SEASON. Then, you have engine and transmission rebuilding (you will get at most 5 years from these items, and depending on your driving style and luck, possible quite a bit less)
Since relatively few 928's were made (ie relative to 911's or 944's), used parts are harder to find, and more expensive. 928 specialized mechanics are few and far between.
You can probably sell your 928 and parts for what you have into them. Then, start with a clean slate and buy someone else's folly (race car) that ALREADY has been built, with a log book, to qualify for whatever series you want to race in. 944 race cars are a dime a dozen, and there seems to always be at least one 911sc race car for sale at any given time on the Rennlist Racing forum.
You will come out miles ahead of the cubic yards of dollars that you will pour into your 928 in converting it to a race car and running it for even one season.
Good advice. But....I am my own mechanic, so there is no cost there. Brakes are cheap as well as suspension parts. Not to mention I have multiples of all. The transmissions are not a problem, until you get above 400hp. Not a problem with mine...

I did think about the buying someone else's car thing, but the best I was able to do was around 15k.

I have free welding for the cage from a friend, I do my own wrenching, I have lots of parts and access to inexpensive replacements, etc, etc.

This is also why I think the CASC over the PCA appeals to me. Using a bracket system, I don't have to put cubic dollars into it to keep up with the Jones's. I don't need to be at the edge of what my car is capable of, I just need to to be at my best with my car.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to factor in the cost of decent personal safety equipment. A good firesuit, boots, gloves, helmet, extra can easily eat up several thousand dollars, not to mention a Hans device. And a trailer and tow vehicle if you don't already have one.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by crooster
Don't forget to factor in the cost of decent personal safety equipment. A good firesuit, boots, gloves, helmet, extra can easily eat up several thousand dollars, not to mention a Hans device. And a trailer and tow vehicle if you don't already have one.
I have the trailer and tow vehicle.

I am aware of the safety equipment including the Hans device. I have budgeted for that.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the GT series based on bracket time? That if you go under your bracket, you get moved up into the next group?
Correct. There are GT Sprints and GT Challenge series where you could run. The best bang for your buck are the three hour enduro races where you split the driving and entry fee with another driver.

CASC doesn't list a 928 in it's suggested classes but a guideline is that a 996/997 is listed as GT2 and a 968 & 944T are listed as a GT3. So depending on lap times you'll fit in there somewhere. Nick Majors always finds a spot for any car that shows up including some really strange ones brought over from the UK. If you break out - no biggie they move you up.

Here is the 2012 brackets for CTMP - these may change after Jan 2013 of course.

Mosport International Raceway

i) GT1: 1m, 26.999s or faster
ii) GT2: 1m, 27.000s and slower
iii) GT3: 1m, 31.000s and slower
iv) GT4: 1m, 35.000s and slower
v) GT5: 1m, 40.000s and slower
vi) GT6: 1m, 44.000s and slower

I know the head scrutineer for CASC - she runs a pre-season check over for people to see if they missed anything - better to find out early - then on a Saturday morning of a race weekend. You'll have to have her go over the car anyway as yours will require a new logbook and there is a little more work involved for a cars hitting the track for the first time. There are specific mod's you have to do, such as drivers window netting, rear window straps, secure neg cable and short protection, fire bottle install and plumbing, electrics shut off, proper thickness of roll bar material with a hole pre-drilled for measuring thickness etc, etc...

You also have to present a medical form upon application after your school but before your first race. There is a specific form you can download that you bring to your doctor, (at your cost).

As someone mentioned here; you'll need a Hans device and a current Snell rated helmet, suit, gloves etc. For the school at Shannonville it is helmet only and it does not have to be a race car - just a car in good mechanical shape. It is helpful if you do use the car you intend to race but not a big deal. 50% of the people use a street car.

A good friend of mine who was also a flagger bought an ex-CASCAR Chey last year and took the CASC school and will be racing it this year. It's not the fastest car out there unless your on the back straight but he should have fun - esspy thru cor 5! He did a couple of regional test days which worked out cheaper then lapping days with it to sort it out and he found a lot of other drivers were helping him out giving him advice so he's looking forward to 2013.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Red!
Advanced

I may be coming late to the party here....but you what opinions are like...

I've been running a racecar for about 8 years now, averaging about 30-40 track days a season...so I'll consider myself a serious amateur who knows **** all! (I also haven't actually raced in years, too many hobbies, too much travel)

First, Most race licensing schools don't need you to know how to drive a car to get a license - I know that the school I went to started from the very basics - too basic IMO.

Second, Most safety in racing (and not just YOURS but the guy you may take out) comes from experience in driving on a track - something that you'd get a bit of in Karts, but its VERY VERY different with a heavy car with a wacky suspension (aka 928, but any car with weight and springs). Personally, I think your attitude is dangerous for both you and your soon to be fellow racers. I'd certainly avoid being on track with you on your first race day....thinking that you can learn how to learn a track while under race conditions (especially Mosport) is unrealistic and dangerous.

I spend about 20-30 days a year instructing (I ran schools at Mosport 10 days a year for four years) and I've gotten in cars with newbies with all sorts of "previous" experience that didn't directly relate to being on track with a real car (20 years of driving "no accidents, hours of Grand Turismo, hours at Family Kartways, etc) - nobody is a natural - and everybody is intimidated, and dangerous, when they start. Putting yourself into a race situation from the get-go is like deciding to learn to swim by jumping off a boat in the middle of a lake. You can't develop "feel" and learn to know where you can push and where you can't when you're puckered up and panicking.

That said, I'd take the 928 out to a Hansen Day at the DDT in the spring, then the BMW Club April school, the PCA skid school and then the next school - once you've got a bit of experience (I'd be happy to meet you and sit in the car with you at any and all of these schools) you can realize how little you know and how much more you have to learn... and then focus on learning how to make safe mistakes, get to know your car, and yourself (you'd be surprised what you learn about yourself as you power down #4 into 5a at 110 mph, or about how willing you are to be flat on the throttle before the concrete in #2 - I am with 320 RWHP and that only happened in my second year, my first year I spent 75 days on track...)

If I'm not sounding humble, please hear me clearly - I SUCK. Its just I'm 100% confident you suck more...

My first race weekend, I was out for "test and tune" on Friday and was three wide, at speed, in #2. I was the middle car, and I held my line and drove. Since I had a newbie sign on my car the guys on the inside and outside of me came up to me after the session and shook my hand, thanking me for not killing them. I can confidently say that most of my Intermediate students COULD NOT handle three wide in two at speed...and intermediate student is someone with a season or two of track days on them...

Please, I know you're in a hurry, but be in a hurry to be good at it, not in a hurry to be the guy who's last in the pack and never learns - those guys quit after their first season, if they don't crash first.

I'd be happy to sit and talk theory with you, or anyone, there is TONS you can learn BEFORE you get to the track, or even if you're intermediate or advanced that can make you a MUCH better driver. I've had the benefit of being friends and/or hanging out with some of the worlds best drivers - and I sucked up and memorized everything they said like a sponge. I'm always happy to share - its actually the part I like best these days!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Red!
I may be coming late to the party here....but you what opinions are like...

I've been running a racecar for about 8 years now, averaging about 30-40 track days a season...so I'll consider myself a serious amateur who knows **** all! (I also haven't actually raced in years, too many hobbies, too much travel)

First, Most race licensing schools don't need you to know how to drive a car to get a license - I know that the school I went to started from the very basics - too basic IMO.

Second, Most safety in racing (and not just YOURS but the guy you may take out) comes from experience in driving on a track - something that you'd get a bit of in Karts, but its VERY VERY different with a heavy car with a wacky suspension (aka 928, but any car with weight and springs). Personally, I think your attitude is dangerous for both you and your soon to be fellow racers. I'd certainly avoid being on track with you on your first race day....thinking that you can learn how to learn a track while under race conditions (especially Mosport) is unrealistic and dangerous.

I spend about 20-30 days a year instructing (I ran schools at Mosport 10 days a year for four years) and I've gotten in cars with newbies with all sorts of "previous" experience that didn't directly relate to being on track with a real car (20 years of driving "no accidents, hours of Grand Turismo, hours at Family Kartways, etc) - nobody is a natural - and everybody is intimidated, and dangerous, when they start. Putting yourself into a race situation from the get-go is like deciding to learn to swim by jumping off a boat in the middle of a lake. You can't develop "feel" and learn to know where you can push and where you can't when you're puckered up and panicking.

That said, I'd take the 928 out to a Hansen Day at the DDT in the spring, then the BMW Club April school, the PCA skid school and then the next school - once you've got a bit of experience (I'd be happy to meet you and sit in the car with you at any and all of these schools) you can realize how little you know and how much more you have to learn... and then focus on learning how to make safe mistakes, get to know your car, and yourself (you'd be surprised what you learn about yourself as you power down #4 into 5a at 110 mph, or about how willing you are to be flat on the throttle before the concrete in #2 - I am with 320 RWHP and that only happened in my second year, my first year I spent 75 days on track...)

If I'm not sounding humble, please hear me clearly - I SUCK. Its just I'm 100% confident you suck more...

My first race weekend, I was out for "test and tune" on Friday and was three wide, at speed, in #2. I was the middle car, and I held my line and drove. Since I had a newbie sign on my car the guys on the inside and outside of me came up to me after the session and shook my hand, thanking me for not killing them. I can confidently say that most of my Intermediate students COULD NOT handle three wide in two at speed...and intermediate student is someone with a season or two of track days on them...

Please, I know you're in a hurry, but be in a hurry to be good at it, not in a hurry to be the guy who's last in the pack and never learns - those guys quit after their first season, if they don't crash first.

I'd be happy to sit and talk theory with you, or anyone, there is TONS you can learn BEFORE you get to the track, or even if you're intermediate or advanced that can make you a MUCH better driver. I've had the benefit of being friends and/or hanging out with some of the worlds best drivers - and I sucked up and memorized everything they said like a sponge. I'm always happy to share - its actually the part I like best these days!
I am not sure how you came up with 'I am in a hurry' because I am not. I am sure I suck more than you because you have more experience. You sucked as much as me at one point too.

Don't get me wrong, I am not so arrogant to think I know it all. Or anything for that matter. I came here to the brain trust to see what my options are and to plan a course of action.

Having said that, I am not a complete idiot either. I know my limitations and I intend to expand them. I have learned that having a plan is the best way to get to a goal.

At this point , it looks like CASC GT series is where I will end up. I do not HAVE to run this upcoming season, but if it all falls into place, I will. If not 2014 would be just fine as well.

I would be more than appreciative to spend some time with you and have some talk time. Or with any other lister as well. Maybe at a cars and coffee on an up coming Saturday.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Red!
Advanced

It would be my pleasure!

BTW - your most economical way of getting to where you want to be is buying a used race car. Putting a cage in your 928 will cost you $3000, plus racing seats, plus, fire suppression, plus, plus... - buying a used, caged, 944NA will cost you $4,000 and its exactly half the engine to maintain and there are literally TON of go-fast parts you can get for it from Pelecan, Lindsey, Blassak, etc.

Last edited by Red!; 12-24-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

The 944s are popular because they made soo many of then but 928 deserves to be raced too. I think with the V8, it's an excellent, but not popular, platform to build on.

Quick Reply: Help with racing at Mosport, oops canadian tire motor sport park..