Notices

Is this a scam

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Robert, I hope to god ebay pays you back for this scam. $3800? Ouch.

I've bought and sold countless cars, in person, online, auctions, you name it. NEVER EVER give a deposit of more than $500. I've certainly never asked for more than that.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Robert D. Allan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keith Nolen Scam

I have a funny feeling it's not ebay but a fake company impersonating ebay motors. I have not heard from either the seller or "ebay motors". The bank has wired an investigation to the Barclay Bank which he used for the scam. Wish I had found this site sooner. I didn't trust the seller but put my faith in ebay motors. I found out afterwards ebay doesn't offer a protection plan on a vehicle over 10 years old. I have already made the police report here and to the local authorities in London. If he hasn't pulled the money out yet, I will get it back. Wish me luck. Oh and this type of crap doesn't happen in Manitoba, so I took it on good faith, never again....
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you actually took the bait on this one. Sorry to heat bout it bro. I hope you find a way to reverse the transaction.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert D. Allan
I have a funny feeling it's not ebay but a fake company impersonating ebay motors. I have not heard from either the seller or "ebay motors". The bank has wired an investigation to the Barclay Bank which he used for the scam. Wish I had found this site sooner. I didn't trust the seller but put my faith in ebay motors. I found out afterwards ebay doesn't offer a protection plan on a vehicle over 10 years old. I have already made the police report here and to the local authorities in London. If he hasn't pulled the money out yet, I will get it back. Wish me luck. Oh and this type of crap doesn't happen in Manitoba, so I took it on good faith, never again....
I'm sorry but consider that money gone.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

robert you are done

good for you to man up and admit it tho. may help others

so now we know why these guys exist. because you only have to cash in once in a while

Last edited by theiceman; 03-26-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Robert D. Allan
6th Gear

Default Keith Nolen Scum Bag

I know the money is long gone, but he was still pulling the scam up until March 23rd, so the account may or may not have been closed yet. All I can do is look at it as the money is lost. Not much can be done at this point. I can only hope that other's see this forum and can see that it is an actual scam and steer away from this guy or others like them. I should have done the research and questioned everything, but there is nobody else to blame but me for falling for the scam.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

This one for sure is a scam. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ468105550. Aside from the nice summer pic it is the exact ad from car envy in 2009 with same mileage and pic. Mischief being my middle name I responded that I love the car but going out of country for three months next week but I'll get my nephew to look after the details and would the seller take $4000 sight unseen. We'll see what happens next.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe I should email him and say that dude that offered you 4 is a total scam artist. I'm out of the country right now, but that car is exactly what I want for when I return in 6 weeks. I'll give you $4500 today, just send me your bank account info.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

That would be dis-honest
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

But i think we have a moral responsibility to dick with these guys as much as we can and make life difficult. Although they are used to it and see this all day long , as Robert points out he came here as a google search and maybe other will too ... and not be scammed. Then Christien can sell them a real car
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

OK. No response to my query so 'time to let loose the dogs'. Send that email.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Jim That one might be real no ?

it even gives an address or at least a map in Hamilton.

did he send you any type of email ?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Jim That one might be real no ?

it even gives an address or at least a map in Hamilton.

did he send you any type of email ?
Agreed it looked ok until a search revealed the exact same car in a 2009 Ad and it had the same mileage. Coincidence?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Robert D. Allan
6th Gear

Default JAMES WEBER/TRADER-AUTOS SCAM

NOTE: This car is still listed on AutoTrader, link noted below. But one thing for sure, this guy is not the owner, and that is if the car even exists. For those of you that heard about the last time I got scammed, I created an alias and decided to have some fun, or at least waste their time.

RE: Important Sales Lead from AutoTrader

James Weber <james45weber@hotmail.com>
Apr 14 (4 days ago)
to me

Hi there,
The car is still for sale . It has an clear title, it is certified and e-tested, no accidents a perfect vehicle. I am terribly sorry for the late reply but I am currently in Manchester,UK on a business trip. I want to sell my car because I am not using it, as you know in England, we drive on the other side, and the steering wheel on this car is on the left side. Another reason would be that is expensive to register the car here so I thought it would be better to sell it. It`s a pity to keep such a car and not to use it. The car is located in Canada.
My loss is your gain.
SERIOUS Buyers only !!! I am NOT INTERESTED in any trades !!!
Email me if you are interested and I can find a way for you to get the car.
Thanks

Ad Attached here (the copy he sent me had the KM's removed):

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mus...howcpo=ShowCPO

FROM ME
Apr 16 (2 days ago)
TO JAMES

Hi there. That is a nice looking car. I remember the add but don't know if it stated the km's on it. I think that was the v8 right? Is it standard or auto? Do you have more pics? Too bad you had to leave it behind but I might be interested. I guess how does one get to see the car if you are out there? Thanks.

Apr 16 (2 days ago)
TO:ME

Hello,
I am very sorry again for the delay but I have just managed to get Internet in my house here in England. Tomorrow I will solve the problem with the phone. Several customers made an inquiry to buy the car and I'm taking into consideration to complete the sale through Trader-Autos Business Purchase Protection that is affiliated with eBay Motors , Autotrader.ca , Kijiji.ca and many others for both of us to be protected. You’ll have a 5 days inspection period, while you can test drive and inspect the vehicle, you can even take it to an independent mechanic for inspection. So this won’t be a sight unseen deal for you. There are no subscription costs, costs to join, or any other hidden costs.
The most interested customer will get the chance to complete this sale, be quick, urgent sale needed.
WILL NOT RESPOND TO LOW-BALL OFFERS, NO TRADE-INS, NO SELLER FINANCING, SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. I can spend as much time a needed till you are comfortable with your new car.
Let me know if you wish to receive further information on how Trader-Autos works.
Best Regards

FROM ME
Apr 16 (2 days ago)
TO JAMES

Glad to see you are settling in out there. I have never heard of trader-autos? How does it work? I guess my other question is what if it's not in as good of shape as noted in the ad? You still didn't tell me if it was standard or auto and the km's. I guess you didn't see those questions in my last e-mail. But I suppose moves do that to people

Apr 16 (2 days ago)
TO ME:

I have arranged with Trader Autos and they will handle the transaction for me.
It has 121,800 kms and auto trans.
How Trader-Autos Business Purchase Protection works :
1) First, you must tell me your personal information (your full name and address).
2) After I receive your info, I'll contact Trader Autos and begin the transaction.
3) Trader Autos will check the vehicle to ensure that all the necessary paperwork is in order.
4) You will receive a notification from the Trader-Autos confirming that the vehicle is in their possession and that the vehicle was tested.
5) Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to make a deposit to a Trader bank account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the car and decide if you want take it or not.
6) Trader Autos will check to see that you've paid, and if everything’s in order, they will deliver the vehicle to your front door.
7) Once you get the vehicle, and you are completely satisfied with it, inform the Trader Autos. You have 5 days to assess it and make a decision. If you do not want to keep the vehicle, Trader will reimburse your money.
8) If for any reason you are not happy with the vehicle, you can return the vehicle to the Trader Autos at no cost.
Please check also the website for more information: http://trader-autos.com
If you would like to move forward with this deal send me your Full Name and your complete address (Street, City, State and Zip Code , phone number) where you want it delivered and we can start the transaction.
Sorry for such an ample email but I wanted to clarify everything before proceeding further.
Thanks

***Note: The original ad had something like 187,000 KM's

FROM ME
Apr 16 (2 days ago)
TO JAMES

Thanks for the link and the specs on the car. Pretty low km's for the year of the car. But it sounds like it is an expensive process, did you say the car was in Canada?

FROM ME
Apr 16 (2 days ago)
TO JAMES

I suppose as long as there is no cost on my behalf, here is my information. Never done anything like this online but the shipping company seems legit. If they don't have an office in Canada does that mean they won't ship to Dauphin? Here is my information, please don't give it out to anyone, I am a little hesitant because you hear about people who get scammed on some ebay vpp plan or something like that. But after researching the company you are using, they seem to have been in business a long time. Thanks.

2 Hedderly Street
Dauphin MB R7N 3M2
(RCMP Branch)

From ME:
Apr 16 (2 days ago)
to James

I am actually going to sleep on it and get back to you. It's not like I can't find one here, mind you it will likely cost me a lot more. Thanks.

From ME:
Apr 16 (2 days ago)
TO James

You mentioned in your add you had a car fax report? Would you mind sending me a copy, maybe just to put my mind at ease. Thanks again and sorry for being so troublesome.

Apr 17 (1 day ago)
TO ME

Hello ,
Thanks for your information . Now I will send your details at Trader-Autos and in a few hours you will be contacted by Trader with all details about payment and shipping process .
Please email me back after Trader-Autos contacts you.
Thank you

Apr 17 (1 day ago)
TO ME

One short note , if you don't receive the invoice from them shortly please check your junk/spam folder.
Thanks

Apr 17 (1 day ago)
TO ME:

The final price is $3,900 with all the taxes included.

From ME:
Apr 17 (1 day ago)
TO James:

It must be in my spam folder. At work, but I check when I get home. Did you send a car fax?

4:12 PM (23 hours ago)
TO ME:

Have you received the invoice from Trader Autos ?

FROM ME:
4:21 PM (23 hours ago)
TO James

Don't get off until 5, for some reason I can't access the junk mail on my phone. I will keep you informed. I will be leaving shorty. What about the car fax report?

FROM ME:
5:12 PM (22 hours ago)
To James :

Ok got the contract. Still waiting for the CARFAX report.... I just want to ease my mind and know that it has not been in like 10 accidents or something.

FROM James Weber
5:15 PM (22 hours ago)
TO ME:

That's perfect ! I have left the car in the custody of Trader Autos with all the paperwork. During the 5 days inspection period you can do whatever you want with the car, you can take the paper when you get the car and request a carfax just don't destroy them.

FROM ME:
6:42 PM (21 hours ago)
To James

Well, I went to the bank just before they closed and they told me that they wont send wire transfers to the Barclays Bank. They actually outright refused! The manager left at 3 today but they will have him call me in the morning. The teller also pointed out a problem with the fax number on the contract. Something to do with it being a software company or something. I will find out more info in the morning. I might even just take the morning off and go talk to the branch manager. Never like TD in the first place.

11:56 AM (3 hours ago)
TO ME:

Please let me know today what you have resolved with this matter. Thanks ____...

FROM ME:
1:04 PM (2 hours ago)
to James

I finally got to meet with the branch manager and he highly stressed not sending money to the Barclays Bank. He had done his research or maybe he just had a lot of clients who had issues with wire transfers to that bank. Showed me reports from something called RECOL, I don't know, something like reports from some rcmp or opp database. Also had a report on trader-auto. Website has only been up for a little over a month and apparently it not registered as a legitimate business. There is a different shipping company at that location, I can only assume he was talking about the main office. I mean this guy had a lot of information... The website is based out of germany. Are you sure your are confident about this shipping company? The hours of operation are 9-1 pm and the fax number they are using is based in Ontario, he even had an address for it. I mean there are a lot of moving company's out here, especially if the car is here in canada. I am a little concerned about this transaction after talking with the manager. I am assuming the car is out in Ontario and I have lots of family out there, can I have someone look at it, because if need be I can at least tell the manager that I have had family or friends look at it, then I can send it by western union or certified cheque? I don't think I understand why, but the bank manager was pretty sure this may be a scam.

*** Good chance I won't hear back from the scammer. Here is the link from the Trader-Auto just so you can all watch out for it. http://trader-autos.com/
I doubt it's a legit company just because of the back ground information. Had no intent of buying it, only to recover my money from the last scam.
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 54 Posts

Googled the website out of curiosity and found this website which might be handy. Apparently they track shady websites somehow.

http://db.aa419.org/fakebanksview.php?key=75362

Quick Reply: Is this a scam