Notices

2000 BMW 740i. Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:55 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 BMW 740i. Good or bad idea?

My son recently came across a 7 series for sale in the province that he wants to buy with his own money as his first car. Canadian car with 90k. The owner was posted overseas with the military so the car sat for about a year. He has looked the car over and there appears to be no rust but the car does not start. Interior is like new, exterior needs detailing. Rear tires are new. Brakes, calipers, all around and front tires are shot. To all of you former/present BMW owners. Is it worth $3k? Will it be a money pit/ ticking time bomb? What else could possibly be wrong aside from brakes, and/or battery, etc.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Coolant system is weak. Radiator can crack and dump coolant lots of 4.4l V8's overheated that way.

Can you take it for a PPI ?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

If that were the case. What would be the price floor? it is down the street of a reputable Indy but would need tow. Trade in is between 3500 to 6000
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

If it doesn't start, only buy it for parts or budget for an egine change. Unless your son can do the repairs himself, tell him to walk away. If the battery is dead, boost it or swap it out, maybe then it will start. Also, the "overseas " story is a classic pitch that sellers use. Don't beleive anything, unless they can prove it.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

i think its an expensive car to own for a young guy.

unless he's doing his mechanic

im pretty sure parts are getting more rare since its an older model

its not as commun as an honda civic or a golf.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm quite familar with these cars, I have a 5 series but my buddies own 740s, alot of parts the same including the engine and transmission. If the car will not start you have a great bargining point as they can be money pits for the uninitiated who have to take the car to the mechanic for every little thing. If your son is hands on and willing to work on it, he can save alot of money. The great thing is that they are pretty easy to work on compared to other cars I've owned. It is not uncommon for guy who have little experience to use the following links to become quite handy fixing their own E38s. Here is the bible on the E38:

http://www.e38.org/

ADDING: Yes the plastic on the radiator ends will get brittle with heat cycles, as do all the BMW rads, so they are replaced as maintenance items. The rad for my 5 series is the same as the 740 and only sells for ~$185 at Pelican Parts, use only Graff water pump with the metal impellar, mine has been in for over 200K km. with no issues.

The M62 V8 engine and transmission has been used in other cars including the BMW X5 and the Ranger Rovers. Proof: This write up that I did is been used by the Range Rover guys, I get email from them.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1686441

Last edited by Mark Lue; 11-23-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Originally Posted by Imo000
If it doesn't start, only buy it for parts or budget for an egine change. Unless your son can do the repairs himself, tell him to walk away. If the battery is dead, boost it or swap it out, maybe then it will start. Also, the "overseas " story is a classic pitch that sellers use. Don't beleive anything, unless they can prove it.
Just confirmed the current owner is a Major who was posted in Afghanistan the past year. Apparently the car ran until he stored it. My biggest concern is why he wouldn't just change the battery and drive it.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
I'm quite familar with these cars, I have a 5 series but my buddies own 740s, alot of parts the same including the engine and transmission. If the car will not start you have a great bargining point as they can be money pits for the uninitiated who have to take the car to the mechanic for every little thing. If your son is hands on and willing to work on it, he can save alot of money. The great thing is that they are pretty easy to work on compared to other cars I've owned. It is not uncommon for guy who have little experience to use the following links to become quite handy fixing their own E38s. Here is the bible on the E38:

http://www.e38.org/

ADDING: Yes the plastic on the radiator ends will get brittle with heat cycles, as do all the BMW rads, so they are replaced as maintenance items. The rad for my 5 series is the same as the 740 and only sells for ~$185 at Pelican Parts, use only Graff water pump with the metal impellar, mine has been in for over 200K km. with no issues.

The M62 V8 engine and transmission has been used in other cars including the BMW X5 and the Ranger Rovers. Proof: This write up that I did is been used by the Range Rover guys, I get email from them.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1686441

Thanks a lot for the important info Mark! He will be working on it himself so I will be sure to pass your message along.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by MidnightCayman
Thanks a lot for the important info Mark! He will be working on it himself so I will be sure to pass your message along.
The first tool he should purchae is a Peake R5 with which he can read and clear codes. Since the battery is toast due to the long storage that is good as the E38 needs a good battery to run propery, the Canadian tire Eliminator 4900 series is the way to go. The car likely won't start due to old gas in the lines, that will have to be purged.

Good Luck
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Very nice car, unfortunately many become parts cars because of the cost to keep them going.
High end BMW's are like Porsche's, pay now or pay later.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

IMO this sounds like a big mistake for a young guy...I assume he is a young guy...how old is he? Even if running well it is still a huge boat that sucks a lot of gas and never will be worth anything. Better to get smaller car, like a boxster or gti. if he wants an older BMW he should shop for a 535 much better car but still don't think it is good for young guy. why not a 90s 3 series (cab even)?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I think my wife once put it best...if you can't afford it new then you can't afford it used. An exaggeration perhaps but there's plenty of truth in it as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
I think my wife once put it best...if you can't afford it new then you can't afford it used. An exaggeration perhaps but there's plenty of truth in it as well.
This can only come from someone that can't even chamge a flat tire.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Imre, I think you're the perfect example for the term, " if you're willing and able you can own pretty much OWN any car, providing the parts and know how to fix it is available".

Last edited by Mark Lue; 11-26-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: adding the key word
Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
IMO this sounds like a big mistake for a young guy...I assume he is a young guy...how old is he? Even if running well it is still a huge boat that sucks a lot of gas and never will be worth anything. Better to get smaller car, like a boxster or gti. if he wants an older BMW he should shop for a 535 much better car but still don't think it is good for young guy. why not a 90s 3 series (cab even)?
Hey Dan, I would have though so too but some of the new generation like all things "retro" the E39s have a huge following especially in the US so they may like the E38 as well.

Quick Reply: 2000 BMW 740i. Good or bad idea?