Notices

Removed Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removed Clear Bra

My car came wrapped in a poor quality clear bra when I purchased it last month. The material was discoloured and had turned yellowish. This really stood out against the white color of the car.
Today Patrick from the Clear Choice came by and removed the yellowish film in about an hour. Car looks so much better without the yellowish film. He told me that the film quality was poor and also since it is a Florida car the UV rays from the sun have caused the film to turn yellow. Once the car gets a proper polish will have Patrick re-apply his 3M film. I have read much about his great work on the forums. He is a 1st class guy and did a great job on the car. Although we have not met face to face, he didn't even ask for payment just telling me we will take care of it when I decide to re-do the film. How often today do you meet someone that professional with such an amazing attitude. I would certainly recommend his great service to anyone considering to do a clear bra.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Make sure you look at lots of filmed cars and talk to their owners so you know what products were used. Products may have changed but when I was film shopping 3 years ago I went for the Venture Shield because it was the clearest most invisible film available. I did not like the 3m film.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Lucky for me my cars yellow. Whew!

Btw. How do we get the ladies to wear clear bras?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 PM
DOOBEE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased an 07 and the bra was beat. I talked to a few local shops about removing it but decided to just pull it off myself since I intended to give the car a full detail anyway. It came off easy with just a bit of heat. It was on there 5 years and only covered the lower third of the hood and fenders requiring lots of compounding to even out the surface and minimize the sand blasting on the unexposed area. Unfortunately I also uncovered a small area on one of the quarters where the clearcoat was flawed and on further inspection found a small dent full of body filler. Minor repair but not expected!!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for Patrick, not sure if you saw my referral for Patrick in one of my posts, he came to my house and spent 7 straight hours in the garage doing a full custom cover for the entire front end of my car, you literally cannot see any edges at all with all edges tucked under the sheet metal.

I was beyond happy with his top notch work, those who attend Saturday GTG have seen my car with the film on, and I even find it hard to tell the difference between the covered and not covered area of the car.

What film are you going to use? I would suggest Xpel Ultimate film, Google for it and see the reviews, there is also a link in the Concourse forum of someone in UK comparing several well-known films, he was the most happy with Xpel Ultimate as well.

Patrick works with Michelangelos Atuo Salon where the front end of my car was repainted, they fully polished my car to remove a ton of swirls when I first bought the car as well as PDR all the dents on my car, also phenominal work, Michelangelo Auto Salon and Patrick Casavant are my go-to people now for paint and clear film work.

If you are near Bloor and Landsdowne area, then you may want to check Michelangelo out to have the car polished. http://www.autoclean.ca/
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
+1 for Patrick, not sure if you saw my referral for Patrick in one of my posts, he came to my house and spent 7 straight hours in the garage doing a full custom cover for the entire front end of my car, you literally cannot see any edges at all with all edges tucked under the sheet metal.

I was beyond happy with his top notch work, those who attend Saturday GTG have seen my car with the film on, and I even find it hard to tell the difference between the covered and not covered area of the car.

What film are you going to use? I would suggest Xpel Ultimate film, Google for it and see the reviews, there is also a link in the Concourse forum of someone in UK comparing several well-known films, he was the most happy with Xpel Ultimate as well.

Patrick works with Michelangelos Atuo Salon where the front end of my car was repainted, they fully polished my car to remove a ton of swirls when I first bought the car as well as PDR all the dents on my car, also phenominal work, Michelangelo Auto Salon and Patrick Casavant are my go-to people now for paint and clear film work.

If you are near Bloor and Landsdowne area, then you may want to check Michelangelo out to have the car polished. http://www.autoclean.ca/
Yes, did see your review. That is what made me contact him. He did a great job of stripping it. I will certainly refer him. In fact, today I have decided to do the Range Rover as well since my wife does lots of highway driving and the front bumper and hood front is very chipped up. Luckily she lightly bumped into a car today, so once front repaired, part of the deal with shop is to have Patrick film the truck.
What film did you use on your car? Patrick told me films have advanced a lot over the past couple of years as they have become more popular. He suggested either XPel or 3M, but I think leaned more to 3M.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 PM
aviography
Drifting

I went with Xpel Ultimate, Patrick marvalled at how much better it is to work with as compared to the 3M film, I find the Ultimate film to be very smooth and paint like, where the 3M film still has a bit of orange peel surface pattern to it, the other option is VentureShield film which also looks smoother than 3M, but the formuation may have changed since 3M bought VentureShield a few years back, it has been reported that VS film suffer from bug stain etching into it if not washed off right away.

Patrick is a 3M authorized installer so he is obligated to offer 3M and VentureShield film, however he will install Xpel Ulitmate film for you if you "insist" on it. ( :Hint: )
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 AM
aviography
Drifting

See post 18 of this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/673138-paint-protection-films.html for the comparison of films by someone who tried different films in a short period of time.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:08 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Default Etching

The bug etching criticism of VS film is nonsense....
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 AM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
The bug etching criticism of VS film is nonsense....
Good one, Ronnie!

See http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=473027

And http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2317376, notice the OP has over fifteen thousand posts, so not likely a trol from a competiting film manufacturer.

I have VentureShield film on my DD since summer of 2007, no issues so far myself, however that was before 3M bought Ventureshield out, I wouldn't put it past 3M to want to use some of their own technology with the VentureShield product to reduce cost.

I should add that the original VS film are still on the front half of the hood, fenders, and mirror housings, but the front bumper was replaced 2.5 years ago when a large chunk of aluminum casting got run over by another car on the highway, shot up and smashed my bumper. So the VentureShield film on the front bumper is only 2.5 years old, there is no way I can tell if the film is old stock of VS film the shop I used had, or if they used the "new" VentureShield film.

One thing I got from the shop I used back then was Lifetime warranty against both material and worksmanship with ANY VentureShield dealer/installer, it's something 3M took away when they bought VentureShield, (no) thanks to the big corporate mentality!

Last edited by aviography; 11-22-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

on some models removong the Bra will let the true beauty pop through and it is a sight for all to behold .. but on a lot of the older models removing the bra reveals only dissapointment underneath you cant bear to look at and wishing it would go back on ....
.... what were we talking about again ?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:52 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I'm in the Yonge & Eglinton area if you want to take a look. With a white car you'll want a written guarantee against yellowing. See ya'll Saturday for the paint pick-up.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree on VentureShield. I have it on both cars. Just beginning to go a bit yellow on the white car so will probably change next year.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ronan
I agree on VentureShield. I have it on both cars. Just beginning to go a bit yellow on the white car so will probably change next year.
Just back from awsome fall drive. Dusty though. tt needs a wash. VS is warranteed against yellowing so take 'er back Ronan.

Quick Reply: Removed Clear Bra