Notices

I want to, but should I????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012 | 03:58 PM
71pest
Instructor

Default I want to, but should I????

I noticed my tires are designated as "M+S" so I guess they are all seasons and I can drive my car up to the first snow fall

Does anyone else (cars older than early 90's) keep the car going all year?

I am totally against garage queens, especially if it is not a rare car.
Old 11-15-2012 | 04:17 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Go for it
Old 11-15-2012 | 04:31 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

71pest,
Some things to note:

1) Porsche has been a leader in terms of developing rustproofing solutions. Apparently the guys who drive 996's and up say chassis rust isn't an issue, but the nuts/bolts/swaybars will rust like on any car. As for the older stuff, naturally the process applied at the factory won't be as good as on newer mass produced cars, but there are still Rennlisters who drive em all year (as evidenced by the turnout to the winter meets. There's a gent who has a pair of 964's and one of them is the winterbeater). If you work on the car yourself: it'll get grimier under there overtime and liquid-wrench will become your friend.

2) M+S All-Season tyres are really a compromise which leads to do everything, but nothing well (IMO). The extra insurance and grip offered by full snows is likely worth the piece of mind. However, with that said, if you're not going out when there's 4" of fresh powder out there, you can probably be just fine on paved/dry roads.

If you're car isn't rare, didn't belong to Walter Rohl at some point and you're not emotionally attached to it, I say drive it all year.
Old 11-15-2012 | 04:41 PM
71pest
Instructor

I won't drive it in snow, I baby it but I don't spoil it.

Not worried about rust, rust eats a sleeping car not one that is being used and winters here are very dry and cold until it snows.
Old 11-15-2012 | 05:30 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by 71pest

Not worried about rust, rust eats a sleeping car not one that is being used and winters here are very dry and cold until it snows.
Uh?
They are already spraying that salt liquid crap on the roads.
Old 11-15-2012 | 05:40 PM
Christien
Race Car

A 3.2? Yeah, I'd probably take it out in the winter on dry days. Just make sure you wash it really well, especially underneath, and frequently.
Old 11-15-2012 | 06:36 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Older car like your with no Driving aids, i would invest in some Snow/Ice Tires atleast.

Kudos to driving the cars year around.
Old 11-15-2012 | 07:08 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I've been driving my 260Z on sunny dry winter days for 38 years and it still has original paint. I've found M+S tires have much better grip in cold than summer tires but the latter are fine for the occasional dry winter drive. I wouldn't waste my money on snows because neither of my cars will ever taste salt. I'm told the dealers offer winter test drives on summer tires.
Old 11-16-2012 | 07:40 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zook@SCB
Older car like your with no Driving aids, i would invest in some Snow/Ice Tires atleast.

Kudos to driving the cars year around.
Driving aids? You mean seatbelts and an Ebrake right?

I picked up another 944 to use daily. I just switched the car to my snows last night. (Relax folks. I picked up a nail in my summer tires, and it was not repairable, and I needed to get to work this morning, so I am now a few weeks ahead of schedule for the tire swap.)

I'll get the car oiled shortly once I finish some work I'm doing under the car, then I'll be ready for the snow. My right foot will be the only traction control system I have this winter. I'm going to feel like a kid again! It reminds me of my younger days, when my sports car was my ONLY car, so it served winter duty until I started to make some more money so I could drive winter beaters from then on, and pack the sports car up.
Old 11-16-2012 | 08:53 AM
wc11
Race Car

M+S= mud & snow.
That's what I run on the SUV & I tow snowmobiles all winter and unless you plan on plowing (that would fun to see) you'll be fine.
As others have said, brine is now being sprayed as its black ice season.
They started spraying in Durham Nov 1 on bridges & now its all roads.
Old 11-16-2012 | 11:46 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

LOL!!!!

I'm pretty sure M + S is a very over used symbol.

Lets just say my Mich Pilot Sports have M+S on them and I promise you that they won't even budge the car on a flat surface.
Old 11-16-2012 | 01:21 PM
71pest
Instructor

I just want to keep it running, I live downtown and I don't think they spray any salt solution down here.
Old 11-16-2012 | 01:37 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Yup they do. From the City of Toronto Website:"A recent innovation involves the mixing of salt with water to create a salt brine solution that is applied to roads either as a liquid or mixed with granular salt. The City's use of salt brine returns the roadway to normal driving conditions quickly and is better for the environment than solid salt because it uses less salt."

Not saying don't drive it, just know what you are getting into
Old 11-16-2012 | 04:29 PM
71pest
Instructor

I am moving to California
Old 11-16-2012 | 04:32 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Lol.... Constant Salt air is SO much better for your car.. Ahh, just enjoy it

Quick Reply: I want to, but should I????