Death of an Icon

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Nov 5, 2012

Welcome to the world of 43 pit stalls...
Hope nobody was in the can while that thing was operating

Gary
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

43 pit stalls is a good thing.
The revenue that NASCAR will bring in will give the owners more $ to put into more upgrades.
They ( Ron ) have to get on line / first class ASAP.
The Fort Erie track is a go now.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Pferrf1
Advanced

Does anyone think Fort Erie will actually happen?

I have a hard time believing NASCAR will will move a NNS or Sprint Cup race out of nearby Watkins Glen which they own. Jeff Gordon or no Jeff Gordon. I also dont see INDY wanting to drop the Toronto street race in favour of 1 mile oval.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pferrf1
Does anyone think Fort Erie will actually happen?

I have a hard time believing NASCAR will will move a NNS or Sprint Cup race out of nearby Watkins Glen which they own. Jeff Gordon or no Jeff Gordon. I also dont see INDY wanting to drop the Toronto street race in favour of 1 mile oval.
Article in the Buffalo paper today says it's on.....

Gary
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I for one am pretty disappointed with the re-paving efforts. Looks like all they're doing is fixing some of the ruts in 2, 5 and 10. Even if they didn't redo the whole track (which is sorely needed) I wish they could fix some of the turtles and run-offs.

They're jacking up the rental fees on the track quite a bit next year, and unfortunately, there isn't a lot of value added for the HPDE crowds.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Article in the Buffalo paper today says it's on.....
No.

What the newspapers are reporting is what was sent out from the PR company hired to send this crap out to just about anyone with an email address on the planet.

They have yet to deal with the environmental impact issues as well as the fact that they are right in the middle of the 'greenbelt' and have to deal with the Fruitlands Protection Act. This is at least a 2 year process if they start today. I haven't heard anywhere that this process has started.

They have issues with which series would run there. I've heard they have been given no promises what so ever concerning NASCAR.

MacMaster has never heard of them even though they are mentioned many times over these years (and on their website) as just about moving into their facility as tenants. Was that some weird oversight? Really? Seriously?

IF... and I say if they had not mentioned the requirement of Government having to cover the cost of off-ramps from the highway, sewer hook ups, water main truck line connections and wavers on lot levy costs I would have said, great, good luck guys, hope it works out. But after saying they didn't want taxpayers to pay anything and THEN, right there in the OMB document defending the development at Fort Erie council hearings they went on record saying that they required this $support$! I'm not a construction expert but we're talking several million dollars in expenditures at least not counting the forgiveness of lot levy's. Gosh knows what tax rate (mill rate) they 'expect' to get.

The economy sucks. There I said it. In fact the RACING economy sucks even worse. Aluminum reflections in the sun blinding us on race days. TV networks being asked to keep the camera's away from grandstands. Way back when.., this development was first proposed, the economy was doing better. Not now.

Where is the support for Dunnville? For Cayuga? For Toronto Motorsport Park? For CTMP or Shannonville? Did Bruce Gregory ask for Government support for CMP? No to all. Why are these people so special? Why is THEIR dream for a NASCAR event so special to the exclusion of everyone else?

Does anyone really think it takes this many years to get to the point where they are only 'talking' about talking about, maybe kinda talking about putting a shovel in the ground? Oh wait, it's winter soon again. Oh darn - next year I guess... And on and on. We still have enviro hearings to go... They state they have spent $10 million so far since what, 2007 or 2008? I know property developers who have spent that on housing developments that cost no where near the $400M these people quote. So other then legal bills and such, nothing has been done. I question why? If you want to fast track these developments - this isn't the way to do it.

Seems to me that it 'appears' as if they were waiting out the Liberals. What promises have they been given by other parties then? Can't be the NDP right? Hmmm, I wonder WHO it could be...? LOL Timmy boy is hoisting his party flag on Government CUTS. Fort Erie hasn't got the money.

Think about what kind of daily revenue numbers they need just to service debt, not including working capital and race fees - I can't see where this makes ANY sense.

Build it or don't build it - I could care less. But NO taxpayer funds or 'breaks' AT ALL!

The application proposes the extension of municipal services to the site and the need to upgrade the local and Regional road network and QEW interchanges. The cost of these works is estimated to be $53 million which the developers have acknowledged to be their responsibility. They have advised that they may be seeking funding assistance from the Province given the economic benefits of the speedway development beyond Niagara Region. Cost estimates do not include impacts on reserve capacity at the Region's water and wastewater treatment plants.. As the proposed development is located outside of the Urban Area, servicing was never considered as part of the Region's Master Servicing Study or the Development Charges Background Study.. A more detailed review of servicing requirements, costs and funding options needs to be undertaken. Potential impacts on future budgets for Niagara Regional Police and EMS should also be considered.
Note: $53M was 2010 money and it did not include some 'unknown costs' to the Region or Province. Bend over taxpayers!

Last edited by Torontoworker; 11-08-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 384 Posts

one article from yesterday said they would like to hold an outdoor hockey game with the Leafs and Sabres ha ha. that will save them, as if that would work, they should just focus on building a race track.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I won't miss the damn pigeons that used to roost under the Castrol sign and drop s@#t bombs when they felt like it.
Homeless...
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
would have been cool to have a giant Castrol sign for the garage ... other than that not much iconic about that dump.
Well, I hope that all the $$ being poured into Mosport doesn't ruin it's casual nature. It's a great place for spectating and from what I hear from Americans when they come up to canadian tracks in general (especially places like Cayuga, GB, et al.), is that it's a lot of fun because the only real rule is: "don't be an assclown".

Pit bikes in pit areas? Sure no prob.
Spectating from almost anywhere and everywhere? Yep.

Apparently some of the little things that we take for granted can get you chucked out of some venues in the states.

As long as that doesn't change, they can put up whatever they want.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Apparently some of the little things that we take for granted can get you chucked out of some venues in the states.
Spectating aside, it's an entirely different mindset in Canada as opposed to the States....I do many track events in both places and I talk with people at, say, Mid-Ohio or the Glen who've never done an event in Canada outside of the PCA or BMWCCA. When I tell them what you DON'T need to get on track (optional helmets, tech forms, long pants etc) they look at me like I have five heads.

Gary
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

More tantalizing updates:

Corner 1:

Corner 3:

Corner 5b:

Corner 8:

Corner 9:

Corner 10:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Wow - that is an interesting approach - presumably a temporary fix, since the reason for the concrete was that asphalt gets pulled up in those locations.
I hope there is a top coat of asphalt going over all of that. Otherwise, you have:
1. paving done in the autumn (ie right before winter), in less than ideal curing conditions for the asphalt, creating
2. a visible seam between old asphalt and new (ie a gap in which water can collect), followed by
3. winter in Southern Ontario (ie freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw....)

It will be interesting to see what it looks like in May.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Wow - that is an interesting approach - presumably a temporary fix, since the reason for the concrete was that asphalt gets pulled up in those locations.
I hope there is a top coat of asphalt going over all of that. Otherwise, you have:
1. paving done in the autumn (ie right before winter), in less than ideal curing conditions for the asphalt, creating
2. a visible seam between old asphalt and new (ie a gap in which water can collect), followed by
3. winter in Southern Ontario (ie freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw....)

It will be interesting to see what it looks like in May.
I hope this is the case as well. World class this is not.
Their FB page makes it sould like this is all that will get done.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM
lauranceyap
Instructor

Was out there yesterday. The new tower/events building is coming along really fast - parking lot is already paved! - and looks amazing. Drove the track briefly, too (though not at speed). All the concrete patches are gone. At turn five, there's a new concession stand/bathroom building and so many of the trees are gone that it looks like a totally different corner.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Pit lane expansion (4 images):

Quick Reply: Death of an Icon