Notices

Oppose the Plastic Bag Ban

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 239 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm not arguing that it couldn't be presented better but remember the general public is economically and scientifically illterate so this may be what the communication gurus thought was best. You should read a little. The worst options from a cost, environmetal and health (ie. bacteria) point of view are the reusable cotton and plastic bags. The institutes I mentioned are quite objective with the Fraser Institute ranked 10th in the world. You are quite right though - for example "The Institute for Alternatives to Good Policy" and anything quoted by the Star are generally union supported lefty propoganda mills.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I'm not arguing that it couldn't be presented better but remember the general public is economically and scientifically illterate so this may be what the communication gurus thought was best. You should read a little. The worst options from a cost, environmetal and health (ie. bacteria) point of view are the reusable cotton and plastic bags. The institutes I mentioned are quite objective with the Fraser Institute ranked 10th in the world. You are quite right though - for example "The Institute for Alternatives to Good Policy" and anything quoted by the Star are generally union supported lefty propoganda mills.
Do you have a personal interest in the issue ? Just curious.

I just don't get it why people would come on this forum to ask other members to fill an online petition on something completely unrelated to the forum.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

I think it's all about about educating people so they know every little bit helps.
We need lifestyle changes not petitions. This gives people the feeling that they have saved the world as they go to Mickey D's are fill their trash with empty containers.
Just saying .....
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I think it's all about about educating people so they know every little bit helps.
We need lifestyle changes not petitions. This gives people the feeling that they have saved the world as they go to Mickey D's are fill their trash with empty containers.
Just saying .....
I think the same could be said about the reusable fabric bags. It gives people the feeling that they're saving the planet. I use them but, now that I think about it, the environmental impact of them is probably higher than just using plastic bags.

Plastic bags are probably one of the most efficiently manufactured goods. What is needed is an overall reduction in packaging and reduction in use of the bags, but not a ban. Like, have you ever bought a bag of milk and the cashier double bags it? It's already in a bag!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
What is needed is an overall reduction in packaging and reduction in use of the bags...
Oh, wow, yes! Number one on my hit list is that bulky plastic security blister packaging that you have to cut open. That is pure waste, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, it dissuades theft and therefore keeps prices fractionally lower, but so would a lot of other strategies.

Not directly applicable, but I thought this was sort of neat:

http://mashable.com/2012/10/10/earpod-package-water/

This is a first, at least from Apple. A portion of the new Fifth-Generation iPod Touch and Seventh Generation iPod Nano‘s packaging is biodegradable. Just add water and the EarPod holder dissolves.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a bag ban?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

yawn....
Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

I have too many reusable bags since I forget to bring them back out after unloading each time that I have "banned" all bags. I only buy what I can carry each time. More stuff to buy than bring the kids.

However, there are plenty more other things to "save the environment" than ban the plastic bag. In general, our society have too much "banning". As others have said... Education is key, Once the general public is educated, the right to choose should still be top and educate the majority to choose not to use the bag.
Enough of my rambling
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks like we get to keep our plastic bags.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 239 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Looks like we get to keep our plastic bags.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
There's a bag ban?

Quick Reply: Oppose the Plastic Bag Ban