Notices

Possible Premature Tire Wear? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

You also did one entire hour on the track. I'm sure that did a number on the rears too. Is this car a lease?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure the track was a big factor. I've seen guys melt a full set of rears in a day.

8000k per set still seems quick. I've done about 8000 on my PS2 with minimal wear.

I'm sure your alignment isn't off but it could be super aggressive. You could dial it back but at the cost of handling.

GL
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

My 12k include probably half that on track. Though I am not spinning rears or sliding the rear to effect wear. Being on the track only has effect on the front wear for me. When not tracking my rears wear twice as fast as the front. When I track the car the front and rears wear at the same rate.

Even wear across the tire and only on the back vs front to me means you are burning out of a lot of stop lights.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imo000
You also did one entire hour on the track. I'm sure that did a number on the rears too. Is this car a lease?
I did notice that even on the drive home from the track that day the tires seemed to have a little less grip.

It's not a lease - I bought it and don't owe a cent on it. Well, except for new tires now!

As the dealer’s tuning shop installed the springs & spacers, I spoke to them and they suggested to bring the car in and they will check out the alignment and we’ll take it from there. It may be the case that the alignment is off, or that the toe-in needs to be adjusted to be less aggressive, or that I need to go to a harder compound tire (e.g.; Michelin Super Sports), or that I need to get a lighter right shoe! Or a combination thereof.

I will post an update after I’ve taken the car in.

Or maybe I’ll just trade my car in on the Boxster Spyder the dealer has in the showroom…

Thanks again to all. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Tommy
Old 10-28-2012, 11:25 PM
GreatWhiteNorth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the wear is even...keep driving like you stole it and wait until you can see the cords..
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are the "Before" and "After" alignment settings as promised in an earlier post, you can see both rear toe-in have been reduced from around 3 (not sure the units of measure, degrees perhaps?) on each side to 1.5 each side, or from total toe-in of 6 units down to 3 units.

The front toe-in settins were a bit off too so these settins were re-adjusted to more evenly across both sides.

I have not noticed any handling difference before or after the alignment, note that I have not really tried to push the car towards its limit, however highway on and off ramps can still be taken at spirited speeds without any bad behaviours so far.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Possible Premature Tire Wear? Please Help!