928 service in GTA

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 928 service in GTA

Well I just moved to GTA. Well short off! Live at a hotel for the time being and it will be a couple of months if not the better part of 6 months before my family and I completely move into a new home in the Hamilton area. So that means no garage space, no tools to play with. Not that I'm any good at it, but I can swing the occasional oil change and brake pad change.
Till that time though, I need to take her somewhere even for these simple tasks. Its my daily driver and soon I need an oil change. BTW what do you guys use for winter in oil weight? I know there is so much discussion about this and I have only run 15-50 so far, I have not experienced your winters yet...

What are your suggestions?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to GTA west, don't be shy to come out to the Saturday morning GTA GTG as listed in the Sticky.

Mantis Racing is a good shop in Oakville, not too far from Hamilton http://mantisautomotive.com/

Cross Avenue Auto is another one in Oakville, http://www.crossavenueauto.com/

I'd suggest 5-30 oil for winter since 15-50 is pretty darn thick when it gets real cold a few times each winter, however I'm sure you will hear other opinions come up soon.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

I do all my own wrenching so I don't know anything about any shops but another 928 owner used Hunter Motorsport ( I think it's Motorsport) to get his 928 worked on and he highly recomended them.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to your PM earlier.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

hunter is good

once you move out to Hamilton I hear Zorro is very good .. I am sure eu autowerks in Woodbridge will be able to help yout in the mean time. they will be able to recomend oil too.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome to the area! Zoran at zorotech is good, and really, anyone can do an oil change (well, other than jiffy lube or canadian tire). He's in Stoney Creek - Fruitland Rd. just off the QEW. zorotech.ca
Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Christien
Welcome to the area! Zoran at zorotech is good, and really, anyone can do an oil change (well, other than jiffy lube or canadian tire). He's in Stoney Creek - Fruitland Rd. just off the QEW. zorotech.ca
Thanks guys for the warm welcome and I hope to meet you all in the near future.

LOL on the comment about jiffy lube! I would not take ANY car to these hacks ever again... I have to thank these guys and the "Mr.Lube" idiots for completely screwing up twice a simple oil change my wife did on her DD while I was away from home...

It pains me that i will have to pay someone to do this, but its on the what can you do category at this stage and the 928 is sensitive to the type of filter used anyway like the 993TT, so taking it to a shop that has the proper Mann or Porsche labeled filter is a must.

Thanks again
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Christien
Race Car

If you want to DIY it, you're more than welcome to bring it over and use my garage and tools for a couple hours.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Well I just moved to GTA. Well short off! Live at a hotel for the time being and it will be a couple of months if not the better part of 6 months before my family and I completely move into a new home in the Hamilton area. So that means no garage space, no tools to play with. Not that I'm any good at it, but I can swing the occasional oil change and brake pad change.
Till that time though, I need to take her somewhere even for these simple tasks. Its my daily driver and soon I need an oil change. BTW what do you guys use for winter in oil weight? I know there is so much discussion about this and I have only run 15-50 so far, I have not experienced your winters yet...

What are your suggestions?
Salt trucks are coming, I would think of an alternative. If you can't 5-30 is way thin for a 928.

They salt the roads in the GTA at the drop of a hat.

I do all my own oil changes as well, but have a had a couple done at the jiffy lube on Appleby in Burlington and they were very careful, but bring your own filter.

My garage is always open as well.

And don't forget about zinc content in your oil. There is a parts shop on Industrial in Burlington that sells the valvoline race oil.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Christien
Race Car

Adam has a good point. It's one thing to year-round drive a car in Vancouver, it's quite another here. Salt, and worse, brine (magnesium chloride?) is dumped in copious amounts, and the brine will come even before the snow.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Also don't forget the GTA drivers here are notorious for demonstrating poor driving skills, especially during the winter time when weather/road conditions deteroriate......
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Christien
Adam has a good point. It's one thing to year-round drive a car in Vancouver, it's quite another here. Salt, and worse, brine (magnesium chloride?) is dumped in copious amounts, and the brine will come even before the snow.
As if my stomach was not in knots already just thinking that i will be driving her here in the winter.

Current prayer list:
Sell the house in BC asap

or

Bless me with one of these maga millions this Friday

If any of the above happen fast then the move to the GTA will get completed soon, which means my wife will buy her Tuscon that she is craving and I will get a hold on the good old 97 E32o she is driving now
Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Also don't forget the GTA drivers here are notorious for demonstrating poor driving skills, especially during the winter time when weather/road conditions deteroriate......
No one is worse than the Hong Kong drivers in Vancouver. As bad as the drivers are in Bramton, they are a distant second to Vankong.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

Well, the salt trucks shouldn't be out for a few more weeks. It's usually late November before they come out. Sometimes even into December.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in in the Hammer(Hamilton) as well. I have a MaxJax hoist, air,tools, Full WSM manuals, and some specific 928 tools as well. You are more than welcome to use my shop off of Sherman Ave. THere seems to be a healthy dollop of 928s coming around Hamilton and the GTA so great reference. Lots of great members and people who are willing to help in the area.

Every once in a while we try to get together and go to Zum Linzer on Main at Wentworth for some good German food and beer. We are due for a get together. I will start a thread in the next week or two to get our local fellow R-listers out.

Oh yeah, one more thing... 928 are all aluminum and Galvanized steel. Not as sensitive as other cars are to the salt.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WOW !!!

Originally Posted by Imo000
No one is worse than the Hong Kong drivers in Vancouver. As bad as the drivers are in Bramton, they are a distant second to Vankong.
Imooo I know you are a fan of freedome of speech but at what point does it cross the line?

Did you think before this post????

Last edited by Speedyellow993; 10-28-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 928 service in GTA