Notices

Quick MTO Question - Safety Certificate

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Quick MTO Question - Safety Certificate

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy & sell a vehicle using the same safety certificate as long as it is within the 36 day validity period?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Yes you can just give the new owner the orange copy. Happened to me once years ago. MTO will photo copy the yellow one and keep it for their records.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,046 Likes on 745 Posts

Hmm not sure. Shouldn't be an issue but they do take one of the copies. I was just at mto yesterday and could have asked if id known.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Clive. It works the certificate is good for 36 days. Thenpaperwork is only to prove it. They take the top copy because there is one.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

The paper is good. The certificate names the car and the mechanic and those are the only things that matter.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes as long as you have a copy of the original.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks gents - and yes they accepted the same copy twice which of course is logical as long as you are in the 36 day window however sometimes odd things happen when dealing with the MTO (in my experience anyway). Cheers.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone else encountered the mandatory appraisal requirement? I dealt with it twice this summer for older cars, and found it surprising.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,046 Likes on 745 Posts

i found it a total pain in the *** .... talk about frustrating experiences check this one out ..

when i bought my 911 i went to the DMV on mississauga street by my office .waitedin line for an hour she looks over the paper work says all is in order and charges me 1300 in tax or so. she debits it out of my account and as i am collecting my paper work a supervisor walks by and says the lady did it incorectly. i need a appraisal because it is over 15 years old. I am like okay fine .. just give me my money back ... we cant .. it was electronic . you will get a refund in 10 business day .. i totaly flip out and start yelling at everyone as i gave them virtual cash and they wouldnt give it back. i started calling the governement theives ( well more than normal )

I left irrate

went to cambridge and thought i would try it again .. the woman said same thing right away and i told her what happened .. she says sorry but i need an appraisal . so i went across the street and bugged a guy at a used car lot to give me an appraisal for 50 bucks... so he gives me an apraisal for 5G and states it needs total overhaul .. great

go back to the DMV wait in line again .. walk up to the same lady ... she looks at the appraisal i just got and says that will be 1300 dollars please . I say WTF ? what about the appraisal ? she says oh we take the bill of sale or the apprasal whichever is greater.. I said why ar you wasting my time and money like this .. i was so mad a grabbed the the bill of sale out of her hand , scratched out the "1" so now BOS said 5 G instead of 15 !

she looked at me horrified and said " you cant do that" and i said if you know whats good for you you will process it . .. she looked around , quickly processed it with her hands shaking and I left with my ownership in hand

what a nightmare.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by theiceman
i found it a total pain in the *** .... talk about frustrating experiences check this one out ..

when i bought my 911 i went to the DMV on mississauga street by my office .waitedin line for an hour she looks over the paper work says all is in order and charges me 1300 in tax or so. she debits it out of my account and as i am collecting my paper work a supervisor walks by and says the lady did it incorectly. i need a appraisal because it is over 15 years old. I am like okay fine .. just give me my money back ... we cant .. it was electronic . you will get a refund in 10 business day .. i totaly flip out and start yelling at everyone as i gave them virtual cash and they wouldnt give it back. i started calling the governement theives ( well more than normal )

I left irrate

went to cambridge and thought i would try it again .. the woman said same thing right away and i told her what happened .. she says sorry but i need an appraisal . so i went across the street and bugged a guy at a used car lot to give me an appraisal for 50 bucks... so he gives me an apraisal for 5G and states it needs total overhaul .. great

go back to the DMV wait in line again .. walk up to the same lady ... she looks at the appraisal i just got and says that will be 1300 dollars please . I say WTF ? what about the appraisal ? she says oh we take the bill of sale or the apprasal whichever is greater.. I said why ar you wasting my time and money like this .. i was so mad a grabbed the the bill of sale out of her hand , scratched out the "1" so now BOS said 5 G instead of 15 !

she looked at me horrified and said " you cant do that" and i said if you know whats good for you you will process it . .. she looked around , quickly processed it with her hands shaking and I left with my ownership in hand

what a nightmare.
Whooooh...thats the best MTO story I ever heard.
Thd need for appraisial for cars that are older yhan 15 is an idiotic system. Had to do that with my brother's 928 that we pulled out of a field and the BMW 850 last winter. If the MTO can't figure out what a car is worth, it should be their loss not ours.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clive, you must have gone on a bad day, when I bought my 964 three years ago it was 19 years old and I did not need an appraisal - unless they changed the laws between the time you bought and I bought.

Paul, you buying and selling cars now?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No one asked me for one when I registered mine this summer
Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sultan
Clive, you must have gone on a bad day, when I bought my 964 three years ago it was 19 years old and I did not need an appraisal - unless they changed the laws between the time you bought and I bought.

Paul, you buying and selling cars now?
I think this only kicked in recently.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I think this only kicked in recently.
Nope. Its been going on for many years. If you get lucky, the teller forgets it and that's what happened with you guys.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C,
I had to get one for the car I bought from you a few years ago.
The program they use to determine the value re.sales tax only goes back 15 yrs ? Also, a lot of high end or exotics are not on it.
Steve

Quick Reply: Quick MTO Question - Safety Certificate