Notices

Quick MTO Question - Safety Certificate

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i found it a total pain in the *** .... talk about frustrating experiences check this one out ..

when i bought my 911 i went to the DMV on mississauga street by my office .waitedin line for an hour she looks over the paper work says all is in order and charges me 1300 in tax or so. she debits it out of my account and as i am collecting my paper work a supervisor walks by and says the lady did it incorectly. i need a appraisal because it is over 15 years old. I am like okay fine .. just give me my money back ... we cant .. it was electronic . you will get a refund in 10 business day .. i totaly flip out and start yelling at everyone as i gave them virtual cash and they wouldnt give it back. i started calling the governement theives ( well more than normal )

I left irrate

went to cambridge and thought i would try it again .. the woman said same thing right away and i told her what happened .. she says sorry but i need an appraisal . so i went across the street and bugged a guy at a used car lot to give me an appraisal for 50 bucks... so he gives me an apraisal for 5G and states it needs total overhaul .. great

go back to the DMV wait in line again .. walk up to the same lady ... she looks at the appraisal i just got and says that will be 1300 dollars please . I say WTF ? what about the appraisal ? she says oh we take the bill of sale or the apprasal whichever is greater.. I said why ar you wasting my time and money like this .. i was so mad a grabbed the the bill of sale out of her hand , scratched out the "1" so now BOS said 5 G instead of 15 !

she looked at me horrified and said " you cant do that" and i said if you know whats good for you you will process it . .. she looked around , quickly processed it with her hands shaking and I left with my ownership in hand

what a nightmare.
I had a very similar experience, when I got mine in June,
wating in line at the MTO just to be told that I needed an appraisal or a document from my insurance stating an agreed value. Unfortunately I had insured the car for significantly more than I purchased it for because my PPI showed $5,000 of work I needed to do to bring it up to par and I wanted the work once completed, to be reflected in my insurance. I needed to pick up the car that day so it being impossible to line up an appraisal for that day, I went back in to the MTO with the insurance document and paid hst on the extra $5 grand. I was told by the MTO that I could appeal the tax and possibly get a refund of the difference if I got an appraisal for less than the agreed value and applied for an appeal within 31 days. I did not bother to file the appeal simply because my job, and having a three year old and a one month old child left me with absolutely no time at all to screw around with appraisals and paperwork with the government.

Not good, but it is all worth it for the happiness my 911 gives me on the occasions when I can take it out.

Quick Reply: Quick MTO Question - Safety Certificate