Notices

Porsches Siezed on th S2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sultan
Now that is a Dr. Evil plan, I like it. To have a good defence, those in the left lane should drive 0.5 km/h over the limit and the ones in the right at the limit, so technically the left lane is passing.
They are actually more evil than you think - they intend to pre-scout the speed traps then merge into one lane just as they approach and have the minivans and SUVs go flying by into the waiting arms of the morons!!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was during a monthly club event.. 40-50 cars drive from West Van to Squamish at 6:30am and back to have breakfast at a local greasy spoon.. its been happening for 15+ years with little next to no incidents. No members pass any other members during the drive so calling it racing is such an exaggeration. This highway was fully upgraded from single lane to two lane separated highway for the Olympics, and the speed limits were not changed from 80km.. its a massive over reaction and then fueled by terrible reporting linking this to other totally dissimilar events that have occurred lately. So sad.

S.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. A bunch of guys in Porsches get pulled over a week before and got off with a warning and a week later at the same spot get pulled over for speeding. Forget the issue of speeding, it's not the issue. I'm guessing these folks are novices. I know that road and there are places and there are places and that's not one of them to play on.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue with upping the limits is it seems BC won't allow over 80 km where there are intersections as opposed to clover leafs etc. If there's a possibility of a car entering the highway at 90 degrees I don't think you'll find limit over 80k. Too high a possibility of a high speed (by the guy on the highway) T-Bone with the hapless guy trying to get on/across the highway and not realizing the approach speed of the guy on the highway.

Yes that highway is capable of accepting 90k to 100k speeds with no issue other than the intersections.

John in Vancouver
Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
The issue with upping the limits is it seems BC won't allow over 80 km where there are intersections as opposed to clover leafs etc. If there's a possibility of a car entering the highway at 90 degrees I don't think you'll find limit over 80k. Too high a possibility of a high speed (by the guy on the highway) T-Bone with the hapless guy trying to get on/across the highway and not realizing the approach speed of the guy on the highway.

Yes that highway is capable of accepting 90k to 100k speeds with no issue other than the intersections.

John in Vancouver
Well you've obviously never driven on the Island and the inland island highway goes from 110 kph down to 90 kph for maybe 100 meters at the cross junctions - everyone goes through them at 110 kph. The S2S speeds are idiodic IMO!!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Whoa I was reading some of the comments in the article. No wonder it is nicknamed the "left coast".

Not too many Porsche supporters there!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Whoa I was reading some of the comments in the article. No wonder it is nicknamed the "left coast".

Not too many Porsche supporters there!
Certainly some moronic comments, I was shocked at the number of people who assume all Porsche owners are wealthy and that these drivers were kids born with silver spoons in their mouths. It's disappointing to see what goes through the minds of the majority of other drivers out there when they see a Porsche on the road. But glad to see there are a few strong supporters also.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zer0260
, I was shocked at the number of people who assume all Porsche owners are wealthy
We are wealthy.

Statement of fact. That's all.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:33 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
The resentment on the comments is instructive...12 pages of replies in the paper there. Porsche drivers do not appear to enjoy any popularity.
You know the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine...
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Hot Oil
Instructor

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
Well you've obviously never driven on the Island and the inland island highway goes from 110 kph down to 90 kph for maybe 100 meters at the cross junctions - everyone goes through them at 110 kph. The S2S speeds are idiodic IMO!!
I work with a company that designed the S2S Highway and it is rated for 160 kph. The Coquihala is rated at 200 kph. These are the maximum speeds under ideal conditions on most sections of the highways. ICBC has dummied down driving here in BC to the lowest common denominator and my RCMP friends cynically say it is all about collecting revenues for the provincial government. There was a report written over 4 years ago sitting in a file in Victoria that advocates for upping the speed limits here in BC, marginally, but an increase nonetheless. Just across the US border, we routinely drive down the I5 at 75 MPH and the same roads on this side are 50 MPH. If we were to match WA State, all would be good and there would be less problems on our roads, but there would also be less revenue from speed enforcement.
In the 70's with cars that couldn't turn well and had a hard time stopping, the #1 Highway speed limit was 75 MPH. We seem to be going backwards.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Hot Oil
Instructor

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
I work with a company that designed the S2S Highway and it is rated for 160 kph. The Coquihala is rated at 200 kph. These are the maximum speeds under ideal conditions on most sections of the highways. ICBC has dummied down driving here in BC to the lowest common denominator and my RCMP friends cynically say it is all about collecting revenues for the provincial government. There was a report written over 4 years ago sitting in a file in Victoria that advocates for upping the speed limits here in BC, marginally, but an increase nonetheless. Just across the US border, we routinely drive down the I5 at 75 MPH and the same roads on this side are 50 MPH. If we were to match WA State, all would be good and there would be less problems on our roads, but there would also be less revenue from speed enforcement.
In the 70's with cars that couldn't turn well and had a hard time stopping, the #1 Highway speed limit was 75 MPH. We seem to be going backwards.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:46 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Oil
Couldn't agree more!!!

IMO what makes many of our roads dangerous is low speed limits that a significant percentage of our population (old gits in BC) insists on driving at 5-10 kph under that threshold, the next highest percentage are those that will never pass anyone - ever - so it sets up a chain of cars (and Harleys - who are just another group of old gits in BC) Then those that want to pass (like me) have to pass numbers of cars at once (thereby requiring some measure of speeding), then these folks who are all driving ridiculously slower feel fully entitled to flip you the bird as you go by -- casue you're the real danger!!!

Groups like the RCMP, Safety *****, and MADD (they'd want you locked up for having a beer with dinner) have turned us into complete nanny state!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
You haven't lived in Ontario then.
+1
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Originally Posted by jumper5836
You haven't lived in Ontario then.
+1
+2

Ontario is absolutely brutal. I was recently in Michigan and the highways were great 75mph speed limit. As soon I crossed back into Ontario, *** hats in the fast lane, people doing 85k etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow....it's looks like BC public is on a witch hunt.

The locals are pretty angry with anyone who seems to have money.

Quick Reply: Porsches Siezed on th S2S