Notices

RSP Motorsports Dyno Day Part II

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yours looks pretty good actually, tq really stays up. For whatever reason my car was really low to start with. It looks like the IPD gives you and I really nice tq, Zookie from his curve does not have as much, but he does pick up some good hp. Who knows at least we are all close, i think this dyno is very conservative plus they dyno in 5th gear, lots of others do 4th gear (do a search) which will yield higher results
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper911
Yours looks pretty good actually, tq really stays up. For whatever reason my car was really low to start with. It looks like the IPD gives you and I really nice tq, Zookie from his curve does not have as much, but he does pick up some good hp. Who knows at least we are all close, i think this dyno is very conservative plus they dyno in 5th gear, lots of others do 4th gear (do a search) which will yield higher results
Ok, 5th gear. I wonder though how useful it is with out a 3rd gear to 4th results. At the track the car is never below 3500 rpm and only sees 5th gear for a very short period of time.

I was at Mosport this weekend as well as the Monday the week before. It was cold the Monday and I saw 228 on the back straight. This weekend was hot and I only saw 225 during a session with some cloud cover.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM
997inTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if they ran it in 4th gear what % more do you think you might of had? and did you know this when you went back the 2nd time?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Vibration was just newly installed suspension settling in, the smoke has not happened since and general consensus is that we ran it hard (along that road) just prior to shutting down and i did not let the car idle first. Live and learning with the Porsche, runs like a champ right now!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Originally Posted by 997inTO
So, if they ran it in 4th gear what % more do you think you might of had? and did you know this when you went back the 2nd time?
Hard to tell, i did some research. Mustangs (have dynoed many many times) always fourth gear at 1:1 ratio. The Porshe dont have an exact 1:1 ratio gear, 4th is lower 5th is slightly more. The internet numbers I looked at, as i recall, were majority in 4th gear so would net higher results. The best place to tune is closer to a 1:1 ratio, so in theory your 3rd and 4th gears will also be stronger with a proper tune. I would ask the experts though as I am just giving a 50k ft view from my past experience.

Your turbo has a lot more in it. They pulled up your graph and compared it to a stock (RSP tune and exhuast and other minor mods) 996 with less boost had an amazing curve and power output (I had asked about Turbo output - next car is a turbo for sure). I am sure you would pick up some good power and tq with a new tune. Again I am not a spokesperson or anything, just very happy customer!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Vibration was just newly installed suspension settling in, the smoke has not happened since and general consensus is that we ran it hard (along that road) just prior to shutting down and i did not let the car idle first. Live and learning with the Porsche, runs like a champ right now!
My car pillows out smoke at startup when I run it hard at the track every session. Specially when I keep the oil level at the top.

Also since I have had it from new it will do the same thing, if I start the car and immediately turn it off, then start it again.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM
997inTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to tell, i did some research. Mustangs (have dynoed many many times) always fourth gear at 1:1 ratio. The Porshe dont have an exact 1:1 ratio gear, 4th is lower 5th is slightly more. The internet numbers I looked at, as i recall, were majority in 4th gear so would net higher results. The best place to tune is closer to a 1:1 ratio, so in theory your 3rd and 4th gears will also be stronger with a proper tune. I would ask the experts though as I am just giving a 50k ft view from my past experience.

Your turbo has a lot more in it. They pulled up your graph and compared it to a stock (RSP tune and exhuast and other minor mods) 996 with less boost had an amazing curve and power output (I had asked about Turbo output - next car is a turbo for sure). I am sure you would pick up some good power and tq with a new tune. Again I am not a spokesperson or anything, just very happy customer!
PM me what you paid for your tune and day on the dyno...please?

Quick Reply: RSP Motorsports Dyno Day Part II