Notices

used car purchase- miles apart

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used car purchase- miles apart

Went to look at a very nice turbo today. Seller was cordial. After careful inspection and subject to a PPI, I was prepared to buy the car and said so, however the sellers price was essentially derived from the dealers pricing on the internet listing similar cars and is beyond top dollar. I politely tried to explain this and repeatedly emphasized i was not trying to be disrespectful in any way , just that market value is far less. The June excellence magazine in hand supported this and i showed the seller. hopefully he will come around and see the offer i made was top dollar.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Went through this when trying to buy an F car last summer. The seller just convinced himself the car was worth X and no data I could provide would alter his position. The car is still sitting in a garage somewhere,rotting away. Sad.

RK
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of Turbo was it?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

hes the seller its up to him what he lets it go for

just move on
Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
hes the seller its up to him what he lets it go for

just move on
I agree. I have my RS4 for sale right now. It's basically mint except for a few stone chips on the bumper, has very low miles, and is a Canadian car. Most of the other cars on Autotrader are much higher mileage and US cars (if that matters). Anyway, I've had a few lowball offers for $10K less than the asking price. Obviously, I think it's worth probably more than it actually is, and all the buyers think it's worth less and likely offering even less than what they think it's worth, because everyone wants a deal. I won't let it go for any less than what I think it's worth, because I don't need to sell it. It's all a game.

What goes around comes around. I've made a couple of offers on two different US Cayenne GTS's. One was sold the day I made the offer. The other is still sitting on the lot because the dealer won't budge on the price "for the next 2 weeks" as he put it. Game on.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it's all a game, all the seller needs is one right buyer. The last car I sold was priced several thousand dollars higher than comparible model-year cars, but was in much better condition both cosmetically and mechanically.

Took me almost two months to sell it but I got exactly my target value at the end.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Yes it's all a game, all the seller needs is one right buyer. The last car I sold was priced several thousand dollars higher than comparible model-year cars, but was in much better condition both cosmetically and mechanically.

Took me almost two months to sell it but I got exactly my target value at the end.
Sorry for the threadjack, but your Viola 996 looks wicked. I was thinking about making an offer on this Vesuvio car, not quite as purple as yours but I think it would look amazing in the sun. It's apparently the only Vesuvio one out there, but I think I would still prefer Aqua Blue.

http://www.waltersporsche.com/used/P...c8f3eaa133.htm
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

i want 70k for mine... its a High Milage DD All Year Around that means it wont Break Down :P Very Rare to find :P
Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

03 turbo, all stock, priced like a dealership. i am sure the car will gather more dust until seller realizes price is determined by what a person is willing to pay, not dealers looking for a 10k markup from trade in, to resale. My offer was about 8% less than asking although i think the car was priced about 18% higher than real selling prices. As they say the fun is in the hunt.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Sorry for the threadjack, but your Viola 996 looks wicked. I was thinking about making an offer on this Vesuvio car, not quite as purple as yours but I think it would look amazing in the sun. It's apparently the only Vesuvio one out there, but I think I would still prefer Aqua Blue.

http://www.waltersporsche.com/used/P...c8f3eaa133.htm
Thanks, I had initally thought the color of my car is Vesuvio as well rather than the Viola Metallic the previous/original owner had told me, however it turns out he was right when I peeled back the frunk liner to see "Viola Metallic" on the factory color code data plate.

I would love to see what the difference between the two colors are in person, so by all means pelase go ahead and get that GT-3 RS and I will drive out to where you are to have a side-by-side comparison!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

what year turbo? sorry saw 03 what color?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
i want 70k for mine... its a High Milage DD All Year Around that means it wont Break Down :P Very Rare to find :P
i heard that model is only available in dubia and was specifically flown in also.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are lots of them out there. Walk away and keep looking. You never know - he may soften in a month when his car is still for sale --or you find a better deal.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

If you're really willing to pay market price, you should have no problem finding another car to buy.

But that mag pricing range is, IMO, a best case scenario for a buyer who isn't looking for specific options, and is in the US.

I know when I bought my Turbo that pricing didn't apply to any car I wanted.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
03 turbo, all stock, priced like a dealership. i am sure the car will gather more dust until seller realizes price is determined by what a person is willing to pay, not dealers looking for a 10k markup from trade in, to resale. My offer was about 8% less than asking although i think the car was priced about 18% higher than real selling prices. As they say the fun is in the hunt.
What is the mileage?

Quick Reply: used car purchase- miles apart