Notices

Jonathon's '82 911 SC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pureham
Nice work. Your thread is an inspiration. I'm getting ready to remove my 3.0 also. Are you not going to change the main seal (flywheel side) even though it's not leaking? You know one of those "while you're in there" fixes. I ask beacause that's the reason I'm pullimg my engine, and now that you mention it, it could be the transmission seal not the engine seal. Thanks
I was not planning on doing this because my leak was from main shaft seal on the transmission.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

wow 6 broken studs ? was Christien working on it before you ?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

I suppose it is possible :P

So some good news - got a call from the machine shop saying the rocker arms are finished. I will go Friday afternoon to pick them up! A fell RL member has offered to ship me his stomski racing stud repair kit, comes with a guide, two LH drills and tap. I will wait until I get it to proceed any further. Good news at last! Thanks RL community for your overwhelming support.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Goodjob to stop and show some patience with the studs. Bh the way you would have needed oxy aceteline to get those studs cherry to get email out
Keep us updated
Old 04-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Thanks, trust me, being young it is VERY hard to exercise patience... especially with the weather the way it is lately...

I placed what is hopefully my last order with pelican parts for the next month or so (until I decide to do the brakes). I did not however order a new clutch cable, because the $70 one was not in stock and they wanted to get some aftermarket replacement @ $166! I will wait... My clutch cable is stripped at the trans end, and a custom (crapy) metal brack was fabbed to replace the original alu piece that was broken. I have a replacement alu mount, but the threads may not reach for adjustment since some are stripped. If I have to, I am prepared to put it back the way it was just so I can drive it for a while.

Also, My shift coupler is a little stiff feeling still, I may need some more work on it, but will wait to put it in the car and see how it feels. If I get frustrated I think I will buy the wevo coupler and seine gate shift kit. Money solves everything... LOL.

I have a wedding to go to the second weekend in May. I want to take the car to that. But even sooner, this coming Friday is the Shannonville Spring Fling test day for the 1200s... I know it's not going to be ready, but I want everyone to know that was my original deadline (not happening). I am now optimistically hoping to put the engine in sometime between now and the first weekend in May.

I got the rocker arms today and they look absolutely beautiful. One thing the machinest noted was the inner bore was already to spec, so when we drilled the oil passages, he had to remove the burr... He had to do it by hand because he wanted to be very careful not to ream the bore at all. It took him an extra 3 hrs of labour and he only charged me $50 more than my quote for this unforseen work - his gesture for breaking the rocker arm. I am happy to report we are on good terms and his work looks fantastic.

He is new to Porsches, but he does fine work and is really knowledgeable. The shop is Port Perry Engine and Machine.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Another thing I have to do still... Steering wheel repair sleeve... Anyone know the socket size off the top of their head? I think I measured it to be 26 or 27mm I can't remember.

Also the driver door regulator is loose - I was going to replace it but it is so damn expensive - I think I will just grease her up and put it back together and see how it runs.

More pictures to come soon I promise.... Done work @ 6:30 and then it's off to Barrie to work on the 1200s. After that it's back to work again. No weekend for me this time around.

Cheers
Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on the progress man, your hard work is certainly going to pay off!

What are you doing for muffler? With the SSI's it would be a waste to use a stock one

I can't wait to see your car.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Tomas993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is...wow.

I have zero mechanical skills, but read every post and every line like I was in the shop myself. A very enjoyable breakfast at Starbies!

Can't wait to see the finished project and ay I suggest you post a video or two of that motor when its tuned and ready for that back straightaway...

Awesome thread.

Cheers,
Thom.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:23 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Congrats on the progress man, your hard work is certainly going to pay off!

What are you doing for muffler? With the SSI's it would be a waste to use a stock one

I can't wait to see your car.
Thanks Jonathan. I have a 2in 2out B&B Muffler that came with the car when I bought it. I love the sound of it right now, so I will stick with it. I am looking for a decent used set of megaphones for the track though... I want to hear her scream!

She will be done soon enough I hope!!!

Just need to get through this exam. Taking things one step at a time.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tomas993
All I can say is...wow.

I have zero mechanical skills, but read every post and every line like I was in the shop myself. A very enjoyable breakfast at Starbies!

Can't wait to see the finished project and ay I suggest you post a video or two of that motor when its tuned and ready for that back straightaway...

Awesome thread.

Cheers,
Thom.
Wow thank you Thom. That really means a lot to me. These kind of responses really keep me motivated and fired up to keep this project moving at the rate it's at.

I will take a video for you guys for sure! Good time to play with my fiances HD cam I got her last year for her birthday :P.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

I went to Barrie after work yesterday morning. I got there at 9am (Saturday) and stayed until 1:30pm. I got the Womer F1200 fully prepped for one of our customers, and my business partners worked on prepping the other clients rental cars (two BRDs).

The Womer wont be coming to the spring fling this Friday, but I wanted to get it finished and out of the way incase we have to thrash on the BRDs (which are running at the spring fling) before the first race weekend which is right after the spring fling....

I hate when there is little to no breathing room... means no down time for me to work on the 911. Oh well at least I enjoy working on the race cars too

Another bit of good news ... I heard from James Sofronas and will be supporting the GT3 Cup Cars at the Montreal Formula 1 Grand Prix again this year. Can't wait, it was a blast last year.

If any RL'ers are going to the GP, please come find me in the Paddock at the GMG (Global Motorsports Group) Trailer! I will show you around the cars, maybe even let you sit in them :P.

Really looking forward to it. Anyways, wish me luck on my exam starting tomorrow sometime for 48 hours...

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Oh and in case you haven't guessed, yes I'm working right through this weekend, no time off for me!!!!!!

EDIT: And Jonathan, ditto on seeing your car too.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Thanks, trust me, being young it is VERY hard to exercise patience... especially with the weather the way it is lately...
You seem remarkably mature for being young, IMHO

Following this thread with great interest, as I am exercising my own (forced) patience waiting for my car to be shipped
Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Default Thank the lord (iRobertson)...

My savior visited me today to lend me his stomski stud repair kit. Spent the better part of 3 hours on the one stud, unfortunately breaking the first drill bit off inside. Managed to wiggle it out with pliers and continued with a right hand drill. Stepped up to the next size and then ran the tap through it very slowly and carefully. It lined up with the original threads and they were perfectly preserved.

I can't express how thankful I am. I can breathe again. New studs fitted and exhaust slips right on with no problems! Bought some new hardware to boot.

I took some pics but didn't get a chance to get them onto my computer, so I will post an update tomorrow night.

Next up is rocker reinstall! Getting close!

Cheers
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice!! I like a happy ending... er... to a story....

Quick Reply: Jonathon's '82 911 SC Thread