Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Retrofishy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  Porsche in Snow.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  192.2 KB

C'mon guys isn't this how you wash your cars in the winter???
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Question for you guys. First year owning my 911, I have it in storage since late Nov and thinking of taking it out in the next day or so. What do I need to do? Do I just connect the battery lower the tire pressure and just drive it around?
Thx!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

don't think you are supposed to disconnect the battery on 997s...better flatbed to dealer.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

had no choice as it is underground. asked around first before doing so including dealer and was told it is not ideal but ok to do so.
so what do i need to watch for when bring it out?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mousecrab
had no choice as it is underground. asked around first before doing so including dealer and was told it is not ideal but ok to do so.
so what do i need to watch for when bring it out?
nothing to it - i unplugged my 987 for 3 winters and just finished re-connecting the turbo battery today after more than 4 months.

you will get all the error codes on PASM etc etc etc. drive it around the block and most will clear. park for a few minutes and re-start & everything should be restored - even station memories on PCM.

rubbish about not unplugging battery -
Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
In the GTA anyway. Don't you feel it might have been premature? WTF happened to winter, not that i'm complaining.
El Nino. La Nina next year will make it another warm one.............
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

this thread makes me cry...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Sciloh
Instructor

lol
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecrab
Question for you guys. First year owning my 911, I have it in storage since late Nov and thinking of taking it out in the next day or so. What do I need to do? Do I just connect the battery lower the tire pressure and just drive it around?
Thx!
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
nothing to it - i unplugged my 987 for 3 winters and just finished re-connecting the turbo battery today after more than 4 months.

you will get all the error codes on PASM etc etc etc. drive it around the block and most will clear. park for a few minutes and re-start & everything should be restored - even station memories on PCM.

rubbish about not unplugging battery -
Make sure you get the battery polarity correct when you reconnect. The alarm may sound, once connected. I say this so you don't crap your pants. If the alarm sounds, just put the key into the ignition, turn to position #2 to de-activate.

Correct, you will get a PSM error code (not a PASM error), but this will clear within a < 1 mile.

You'll need to reprogram (easy) your windows too.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Sciloh

lol
thank you!!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Nothing wrong with disconnecting the battery for the car other than the PITA of having to reset a bunch of things when you reconnect it. I'd be more concerned about the damage to the battery. I spend my life consulting for dealerships and you would be amazed at how many warranty claims get put through to the manufacturer for "defective" new batteries. More often than not, it turns out that the battery was stored improperly (cold damp concrete floor, as an example) and sulfated. Yup, some parts depts use maintainers on factory fresh batteries to protect their inventory.
Just buy a proper maintainer and plug it in; 10 sec job and be done with it.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT3 has an appetite for batteries. I believe the factory alternator undercharges the battery at low rpm's which causes this issue. The best charger I've used is the CTEK; it has been able to bring batteries back from the dead on more than one occasion.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

surfing the internet(so this must be true) it appears that there is no reason not to store a battery on concrete. in the old days battery cases were made out of wood and pourous plastic that would absorb moisture from the cement. new batteries are made out of polyproplene cases that do not allow moisture to seep. storing a battery without movement or charge will kill a battery over time whether on cement or not. on cement in winter it may be colder on the bottom of the battery as a result of storing on cement but batteries shouldn't be allowed to freeze anyway. this is an interesting (to me) thing as many mechanics and car guys believe this myth to be true about not storing batteries on cement. what do you think Phil?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
surfing the internet(so this must be true) it appears that there is no reason not to store a battery on concrete. in the old days battery cases were made out of wood and pourous plastic that would absorb moisture from the cement. new batteries are made out of polyproplene cases that do not allow moisture to seep. storing a battery without movement or charge will kill a battery over time whether on cement or not. on cement in winter it may be colder on the bottom of the battery as a result of storing on cement but batteries shouldn't be allowed to freeze anyway. this is an interesting (to me) thing as many mechanics and car guys believe this myth to be true about not storing batteries on cement. what do you think Phil?
Just pull out the battery and put in on a self, rack or scrap of 2by4 . What's it really matter. The point is don't let the battery freeze. It needs to be kept in a place above freezing level. In the store when you buy a new battery they don't keep trickle chargers on them.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

i do leave the battery in the basement but have it sit on a chair and charge it once every few weeks. the battery is fully charged now. thanks for all the feedback and should be taking it out in a day or so. way too nice out to just leave the car sit around.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Car stored for winter