Extended Warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_North
I.......... My plan is, at the very least, to have a thorough check done at the end of the term and get anything that looks like it might fail done, and get my money's worth..

I hate to break this to you but that won't work, even if hell freezes over.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedken
Hi fellow Torontonian ,how much was the Warranty ? if you dont mind telling me , by the way nice looking aero kit .
Hello ! It was around 975.00. As the others in the thread have indicated, there are more expensive and comprehensive ones out there. Its all about mitigating your risk and deciding what that means to your pocket book. You can spend 5K and never use it, or 1K and get 3 times its value. Its a bit of a crap shoot, but so is buying a used car .
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I hate to break this to you but that won't work, even if hell freezes over.
LOL, you could be right, but it has worked in the past for me. Its a risk, but that is what insurance is all about.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
kk!
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

First post for me.

I'm in the process of buying a 2002 911 Targa, US Car, and bringing it up here. Among the many, things that I have been researching is an extended warranty. I just got a quote from Ensurall for a 3yr/65K basic powertrain warranty for 2899.00. The guy I talked to said that they only offer thier basic coverage warranty on Cars over 6 years old and that has a per claim limit of $2500.00. Not much help if "you know what" happens.

They will cover the IMS bearing, up to that same limit, but how do you prove that it's going until it's gone? If I could get them to cover it now, as I'm buying the car somehow, then it would be worth it. The cost of that repair plus the clutch would be around $3000 anyway(quote from Mantis Racing in Oakville) Then I would still have the warranty for other powertrain parts.

I'm not sure what to do? Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Very Large Man
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kk!

They will cover the IMS bearing, up to that same limit, but how do you prove that it's going until it's gone? If I could get them to cover it now, as I'm buying the car somehow, then it would be worth it. The cost of that repair plus the clutch would be around $3000 anyway(quote from Mantis Racing in Oakville) Then I would still have the warranty for other powertrain parts.

I'm not sure what to do? Thoughts?
Not sure what to do?! How about not engaging in Insurance Fraud for starters?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 400 Posts

This is from April last year so I doubt your comment was useful a year and a half later. I do agree though don't commit insurance fraud
Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To revive a dead thread - sorry - but was chatting with a buddy about after market warranties...
I had Lubrico on my '07 Volvo V70R ($2100) - it DID pay for itself in the end as I had an angle gear failure (big $$) and a couple of other minor issues. BUT, you can only use approved Lubrico mechanic, they have to try to find used parts first and things literally have to fail / fall off before replacing under warranty - I had numerous bushings that were cracked and not doing much, but because they didn't disintegrate, or cause catastrophic, were not covered (I replaced them all on my own dime). Most things that wear out or wires that wear out and fail are not covered either.
If it helps you sleep at night a little better...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

I have only one word for extended w'tees

Last edited by adrian_jaye; 12-23-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Actually the "ONLY" place I found who does a great g'tee is "Long and Macquade" (music shop)

I had an amplified speaker, which was hardly used, and it blew, 3 weeks before the standard w'tee.

They sent it off to repair and gave me a loaner, for 3 months! while it was in the shop, no charge, no quibble, no arguments.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:45 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

The worst con I had was for a big box store in the UK
bought a shed load of home articles, washing machine, fridges, hifi (I was moving to a new home)

They had a extended w'tee for the washer, for £200 for 3 years (extended after the 1st) IF I didnt use the w'tee on the 4th year I'd get my 200 pounds back !

So once I nearly needed to use it, but managed to live/then fix the issue (small leak) on the 4th year

guess what..........the company went bust !

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties?