Notices

Extended Warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Extended Warranties?

The guys on the US forums often talk about getting good extended warranties on their newer P-cars (Costco, Fidelity, etc.) What options do we have up here (GTA)? Anyone had good/bad experiences? Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

3rd party warranty companies make money because they spend less on repairs than they take in through premiums. Over time, it's cheaper to pay for repairs by yourself. That said, you're also buying peace of mind, which has a different value for different people.

Around here there are several for every day cars: Lubrico, Coast to Coast, Nationwide and Global are probably the top 4 in the used car industry. They're all legit, reputable companies. No idea if they'll cover a Porsche, though. Furthermore, some maintain a list of eligible garages, and stipulate that the repair must be done through one of them. I doubt there will be a proper P-car mechanic on those lists.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I've heard, most are not worth the paper thay are written on.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ended up getting a Lubrico warranty after doing some research. My main reason was that it would be usefull to offset some of the cost of a large "catastphic" engine failure issue. They do cover p-cars and also older or high mileage cars. With Lubrico, the main way they will squeak out of the repair is if you dont prove you have done regular oil changes and fluid checks (keep the documents) and log it on their web site. There are also limits to total value they will cover. I ended up getting a three year / 36K warranty. My plan is, at the very least, to have a thorough check done at the end of the term and get anything that looks like it might fail done, and get my money's worth..
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

CoverageOne and/or Easycare are the two of the highest quality options available. FWIW, we sell CoverageOne and not Easycare, but CoverageOne will not write a policy on a 911, but will do so on a Cayman, Boxster, etc. Your local BMW, Infiniti, Volvo, Lexus, or Audi dealership will likely sell CoverageOne, they do in BC and Alberta at least. I have sold probably around 100 of the CoverageOne Ultimate policies over the years including one to my parents, and they have personally claimed approximately 2x the value of the policy and still have a year left!

I wouldn't sell a friend a Lubrico or Coast to Coast warranty... they are cheap warranties and a person might as well throw their money away... the claim limits are low and they are extremely tough to claim with.

Mark (car dealer in BC)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 AM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have an EasyCare on the Cayman. Bought at 30km and warranty is valid for 5 years or up to 100km.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Tommy5543
8th Gear

I've heard, most are not worth the paper thay are written on.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

some of the company`s will pro rate the parts so if your rad goes they figure it should last 100 000 km and your car has 70k they only pay for 30% repair and only the parts listed in their policy so if your car has an extra senson not listed in the policy they won`t cover it. some make you wait for approval before repair is authorized, can take days.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM
9 lives
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Bought an Easycare for the wife's BMW. No issues. Actually had to use it last year when the water pump went. No problems filing or arranging payment.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but totally related....the warranty is up this July. Is it fair to take the car in, have it inspected and then try to get any repairs done under warranty even if they haven't shown any symptoms of immediate failure ?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

http://www.ensurall.com/

I was shopping around for coverage on my B7S4 when I bought it in late Summer. I was going to go with Lubrico, as it was much cheaper, but they have a limit on the payout per claim (if engine blew, it wouldn't cover the full cost) and they make you take your car to their approved centres. I asked what mechanic was in my area and it was a shady little shop that I had bad experiences with in the past.

With Ensurall, I go to the Audi dealership for all service and get a loaner.

The warranty cost me $4k on a 5 year old S4 with 94,000km. Covers me for 5 years or 100,000km. But since September, I've claimed $1,200 on it. I'm sure I'll rack up over $4k in 5 years.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Anyone had good/bad experiences?
Personally no, because I don't buy extended warranties.

If I were to buy an extended warranty for a vehicle, I would only buy one from Porsche, Toyota, Honda...etc...not another party insurance sold by a dealer.

As for extended warranties for things such as electronics, in all my years of buying those products since the mid 70s, I would have never made use of an extended warranty...there is a reason why Future Shop, Best Buy push those extras...there is big money in it for them.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Originally Posted by ggrace
http://www.ensurall.com/

I was shopping around for coverage on my B7S4 when I bought it in late Summer. I was going to go with Lubrico, as it was much cheaper, but they have a limit on the payout per claim (if engine blew, it wouldn't cover the full cost) and they make you take your car to their approved centres. I asked what mechanic was in my area and it was a shady little shop that I had bad experiences with in the past.

With Ensurall, I go to the Audi dealership for all service and get a loaner.

The warranty cost me $4k on a 5 year old S4 with 94,000km. Covers me for 5 years or 100,000km. But since September, I've claimed $1,200 on it. I'm sure I'll rack up over $4k in 5 years.
Lubrico is total GARBAGE! Not even worth it if it is free. Ensurall and EasyCare are the same company if I'm not mistaken. I think I may have gotten a better deal since I paid $3k.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
As for extended warranties for things such as electronics, in all my years of buying those products since the mid 70s, I would have never made use of an extended warranty...there is a reason why Future Shop, Best Buy push those extras...there is big money in it for them.
+a million. The only exception to this was with earbud headphones when I was in highschool. I used them for hours a day, and always stuffed them into my pockets. I bought a set from the SOny store, paid $20 or $30 for 3-year replacement warranty, and went through probably 8 or 10 pairs of free headphones
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

pocket cameras is not bad for extended warranty as they can take a beating
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
6speedken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 996_North
I ended up getting a Lubrico warranty after doing some research. My main reason was that it would be usefull to offset some of the cost of a large "catastphic" engine failure issue. They do cover p-cars and also older or high mileage cars. With Lubrico, the main way they will squeak out of the repair is if you dont prove you have done regular oil changes and fluid checks (keep the documents) and log it on their web site. There are also limits to total value they will cover. I ended up getting a three year / 36K warranty. My plan is, at the very least, to have a thorough check done at the end of the term and get anything that looks like it might fail done, and get my money's worth..
Hi fellow Torontonian ,how much was the Warranty ? if you dont mind telling me , by the way nice looking aero kit .

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties?