Notices

924S engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 924S engine swap?

I may have the opportunity to buy a parts 1987 924S with new water pump, clutch and rebuilt head (therefore new belts I would assume). The car will cost about the same as all those parts and I was looking at changing belts (and water pump etc?) on my '87 924S so I am seriously considering that an engine swap would be the way to go. I read the Clarks garage article on engine removal and while it looks like a major project it looks doable. I especially like the idea of a new clutch. The body of the parts machine is a mess which is why it is cheap.

Speaking of clutches I have been wondering about why clutch changes are done from the rear end forward instead of "just" pulling the engine. It seems to me the advantage is that you spend a lot less time under the car...

Any comments/pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

While there are some water pumper folks here, myself included, you're going to get much more insight in the model specific forums.

My thought is that unless you're totally in love with the 924 style, you're going to be well ahead ditching all this effort and cost and getting a clean, sorted 944 turbo. Just my two cents.

RK
Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
While there are some water pumper folks here, myself included, you're going to get much more insight in the model specific forums.

My thought is that unless you're totally in love with the 924 style, you're going to be well ahead ditching all this effort and cost and getting a clean, sorted 944 turbo. Just my two cents.

RK
I realised after posting this that I should have gone to the 924/944/etc forum... will do that, thanks for suggesting.
True I do like the 924S better than the 944, and I have a clean one that just needs belts, and someday a clutch... so I figure why not do it all now for less money and effort (I hope).
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

If you never done and engine changed then this is not the time to learn it.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

there is a local car that rolled at mosport last year and if you are interested may be available.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
If you never done an engine change then this is not the time to learn it.
Well... I grew up on a farm and my parents forgot to tell me that I should recognise there was stuff I couldn't do. So I end up doing stuff... and when it's finished I say to myself "how the h... did you think you could do that?".

Last summer I jacked up 3 sides of my house to change the rotten sill plate on the foundation... alone. (Well, true, it is a very small house and I only jacked it up about 1/8 of an inch...).

... and I did change an engine in my first car, a 1957 Triumph TR3, alone, with a hoist frame I built out of the trunks of trees that I cut down... at the age of 18.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
there is a local car that rolled at mosport last year and if you are interested may be available.
That sounds tempting... but getting it from there to here would be a major headache... I guess it's not driveable

I'm questioning the engine switch now that I have looked into it, my other thread on the 924/..../928 forum was very interesting and informative.

I think I'll just do the belts etc and drive the car this summer and keep my eyes open for another parts machine with maybe suspension parts and other stuff... there will be other 750$ 924Ss or 944s... or maybe a 944S

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by elgy
Well... I grew up on a farm and my parents forgot to tell me that I should recognise there was stuff I couldn't do. So I end up doing stuff... and when it's finished I say to myself "how the h... did you think you could do that?".

Last summer I jacked up 3 sides of my house to change the rotten sill plate on the foundation... alone. (Well, true, it is a very small house and I only jacked it up about 1/8 of an inch...).

... and I did change an engine in my first car, a 1957 Triumph TR3, alone, with a hoist frame I built out of the trunks of trees that I cut down... at the age of 18.
Impressive. Sounds like you and I are not that much different. Go for it.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know how much different it is than my 911 engine - certainly more wires and sensors, plus fuel injection. But if it's not that much different, it's a piece of cake. I've swapped engines 3 times in 4 years. I've got a drop down to an hour and a half, and an install down to an hour, working solo, except with the 3.0L install, which required a lot more work, but still was done in a weekend.

It all comes down to having the right tools, and in this case, the right tools are jacks and jackstands, though I suppose a 924 engine would come out the top, right? So you'd need a hoist of some sort.

I'm seriously impressed that you raised your house off the ground!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
..... It all comes down to having the right tools, and in this case, the right tools are jacks and jackstands, though I suppose a 924 engine would come out the top, right? So you'd need a hoist of some sort.
It seems that the 924S or 944 can be top or bottom but the majority seems to prefer by the bottom.

Originally Posted by Christien
.....I'm seriously impressed that you raised your house off the ground!
Actually "It all comes down to having the right tools, and in this case, the right tools are jacks and jackstands"
If you're curious the process is on Flickr at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9865436...7627541531913/
... bits of the Porsche are visible on some pictures...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

That's some really impressive work! I like the "found" window

Quick Reply: 924S engine swap?