Notices

Tools for DIY 924S (944) timing belt change.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Tools for DIY 924S (944) timing belt change.

Hi,
I'm new here on rennlist and a new Porsche owner. Before putting any miles on my 1987 924S I plan on changing the timing/balance belts during the winter. Is there anyone in the Montreal/Laval area who has the necessary special tools and is willing to lend (or sell) them. If not I am considering buying the kit from Arnnworx:
flywheel lock
27 mm thin wrench
combo pin wrench
9131-944 or 920X-944 Timing Belt Tensioning Tool.

The car runs well but it has been 10 years and ? miles since the belts were changed. Will also change the engine mounts because the engine dances about at an idle, then smooths out as the revs go up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

can't help with the belts but you should be able to visually inspect the engine mounts. don't be tempted to use aftermarket for the mounts as they are much cheaper but don't last...ask me how I know.
btw post up some pics of your new car and tell us about it and you.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done mine many times with a krikit tool and regular wrenches, the key is to take your time and double check everything (TDC, Timing Marks), you may also want to replace the pulleys while every thing is apart (Check Water Pump). Pay special attention to balance shaft belt tension otherwise your car will sound like its supercharged, these belts don't require much tension and will whine if they are to tight. I used a combination of the below link and owners manual.

http://www.arnnworx.com/tensioningbelts.htm
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
can't help with the belts but you should be able to visually inspect the engine mounts. don't be tempted to use aftermarket for the mounts as they are much cheaper but don't last...ask me how I know.
btw post up some pics of your new car and tell us about it and you.
What engine mounts do you suggest?

Me? A car-guy coming up on retirement age with nothing to do but renovate an old house (the 924S work was put off to the winter because when I bought it in the summer the house was sitting on jacks while I replaced the foundation sills). The Porsche thing started when I saw a 928 for sale in July and said to my girl-friend that it would be fun to have one of those. After a bit of research I realized that the 928, as beautiful as it is ,is out of my league, so just for fun started looking at 924s and 944s. Saw a white 1987 924S for sale in Ottawa, we went up Saturday to look at it, bought it and the seller delivered it here in Laval Sunday. The seller had the car almost from new and took good care of it. It is in very nice shape, even the interior is acceptable (cracks on the dash of course…) almost no rust and the mechanical stuff I can do when I have time, since I don’t need a car. Next summer we plan to do the “middle-aged” couple in the old sports car weekend thing. Mind you a track day at Tremblant would be fun…

P.S. - The picture was taken the day that the Porsche arrived, I have since made room in the garage for it... and the house looks a lot better...

Last edited by elgy; 11-02-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: restored picture
Old 12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elgy
The Porsche thing started when I saw a 928 for sale in July and said to my girl-friend that it would be fun to have one of those. After a bit of research I realized that the 928, as beautiful as it is ,is out of my league, so just for fun started looking at 924s and 944s.
Elgy, congrats on your new acquisition! Perhaps we can meet you at one of our monthly PCA dinners in Laval?

I'm just curious as to why you felt that the 928 would be out of your league? The 928 has faced a wrong public perception as a problematic vehicle however, it is one of the easiest vehicles to work on; provided you are handy and possess the basic mechanical knowledge and skills of working on any car. In addition, the 928 community is always available to fellow members who work on their own cars as there's a wealth of technical information out there on the 928 at your disposal.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Perhaps we can meet you at one of our monthly PCA dinners in Laval?
Will have to wait to till the 924S is on the road... wouldn't want to show up in my girl-friends Yaris!

Originally Posted by Andy E.
I'm just curious as to why you felt that the 928 would be out of your league? The 928 has faced a wrong public perception as a problematic vehicle however, it is one of the easiest vehicles to work on; provided you are handy and possess the basic mechanical knowledge and skills of working on any car. In addition, the 928 community is always available to fellow members who work on their own cars as there's a wealth of technical information out there on the 928 at your disposal.
Well, I am on a very limited budget, which will be moreso after my retirement. The 928s are a bit more expensive to buy and to repair. Also I read a couple of stories of guys who spent $20,000 in repairs over a couple or years on a $5000 car... but maybe they were not doing there own wrench work. Also I am scared off by gadgets... I would gladly pass on the power windows, power steering and air conditioning on my 924S.
BUT... if all goes well with the 924S maybe I'll be tempted by a 928 project... would love to drive one for awhile.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pm me, I have the tools you need.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Elgy.
Welcome.
Your on the right website for info and help
10 years ? Wow ! Be careful when it`s running. No high RPM . If the belt, roller etc. fails your in for some big hurt on your wallet.

Last edited by Xpit77; 12-30-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Elgy!

You're lucky.... way back when I first got my 944 the only tool available was the the one that Porsche sold for $500+. A neightnout whose wife drove a 924 helped me do my first timing belt, he taught me to tension the belt by twisting it 90 degrees, the balance belt is a bit harder to get right tho.
http://www.arnnworx.com/tensioningbelts.htm
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

So... thanks to tools lent by StyleLab the 924S is up on jackstands and everything is off the front of the engine (except the crank gear... that's the next challenge). Everything looked pretty good, the belts in great shape and tension seemed fine to me (using the 90 degree test)... except some oil which seems to be coming from the upper balance shaft seal.
I have ordered the Arnnworx 9131-944 Belt Tensioning Tool since I don't trust my finger strength (and lack of experience) to have confidence in the 90 degree test.
I am preparing my parts order, including engine mounts and a seal kit...
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Good Luck! You're on the right track
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

...well, 8 months later and it is finally pretty well back together. This weekend I did a final tensioning of the belts, installed the accessory belts, refilled the radiator, charged the battery... and turned the key. After a bit of cranking it fired up! Let it run a few minutes, a bit of valve train noise, which I expect is just the lifters after so many months without turning over, oil pressure fine. Shut it down, rechecked the belts and started it again. So far no oil or coolant leaks. Wow!

Unfortunately it's not yet time for a drive... engine mounts next and reconnecting the hand brake... and whatever niggling little details that it takes for the inspection I have to pass before getting it properly licensed (because I bought it out of province.) But it is great to have it running... finally.

A big thanks to StyleLab for the tools, advice and encouragement.

---------
'87 924S with NEW belts, rollers and seals.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Well done! That looks like a nice little car. I hope it gets to stay inside this winter!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

If this is the 16V engine, might want to have a good look at the camshaft tensioner pads too. Unless the engine mounts are completly ripped, the engine shouldn't shake during idle. Nice little car by the way.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
If this is the 16V engine, might want to have a good look at the camshaft tensioner pads too. Unless the engine mounts are completly ripped, the engine shouldn't shake during idle. Nice little car by the way.
No, it's an 8 valve... and when I am under the car I can see on the right side mount that the mounting bolts are touching the rubber...

Quick Reply: Tools for DIY 924S (944) timing belt change.