Notices

OT: Another car opinion/experience request/discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Another car opinion/experience request/discussion

Since winter is here? A few of our P-cars are sleeping and some are driving the "winter" car. In the recent weeks there has been much discussion as to BMW, Audi and Subaru.

I've been thinking about all those cars as well, then realized they are all relatively powerful, sporty and relatively not very fuel efficient. Now I have further thought about the following criteria and would like your comments, just for interest and fun.

Here are my objectives and considerations in selecting another car to the family...

1. Fuel efficient for everyday running around
2. Relatively reliable and low maintenance costs (relatively to each person's standards)
3. Fun to drive
4. As kids are growing up in the next 3 years to driving age, potential teenager driver?
5. Insurance considerations?
6. Price to purchase NOT more than $25,000 (unless great deal)
7. Four seater for family use possibilities

My thoughts/selections are the following:

A. Mini Cooper Clubman JCW - 2009 - around $22,000-25,000
B. Fiat 500 - 2011
C. VW GTI

I'm just starting and these are what I have come up with. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

All from Autotrader.com
2009 Infinity EX35
2009 Cadillac CRX
2009 Audi A3
Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi A3 TDI or 2.0T Quattro if 4 wheel drive is important.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard really bad things about Mini reliability. Very expensive parts and repairs.

Some may pooh-pooh the notion, but I've had good reliability and service from Hyundai. As a value proposition (traction control, bluetooth, heated everything, ESP, independent suspension, tons of airbags, etc), the Koreans are hard to beat these days.

Are they sexy and stylish? No. But as an appliance, that's fuel efficient, relatively reliable and cheap to run, I can't fault Hyuandai or Kia. My father-in-law has a 2010 Elantra, purchased last December. He's done 60,000kms in one year (Hamilton to Orangeville everyday), it hasn't missed a beat and consistently returns 50 mpg. Can't ask much more for less than $20,000.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

We have a 2012 Fiat 500 which my wife drives daily. It's a fun little car with decent performance and excellent gas mileage but does lack in rear leg room somewhat. You mention having kids close to driving age so I'm wondering how often they'd be shoehorned into the back of the Fiat if you were to use it as a family car from time to time. It's tight for anyone over, say, 5'6" or so. Not bad for running to the mall but longer drives might be excruciating for rear seat passengers. Then there's the fact that you'd have to travel light as cargo room is restricted with the rear seats occupied. If none of this is a concern, I can recommend the 500.

Someone mentioned Hyundai above and honestly, the new Elantra is actually a pretty attractive little car. Long gone are the days of the Pony and the Excel... the Koreans have taken the fight to the Japanese and they're holding their own. Especially when compared to such uninspired appliances like the new Civic and *yawn* Camry. The VW GTI is a wonderful car but the price of entry is in nosebleed territory, especially here in Canada. $35K for a hot hatch? Please!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going to throw this option out there, the Volvo C30:

I believe it shares some mechanicals with the Mazda3 thanks to Ford, and the styling is really attractive with much of the old P1800ES showing through in the rear hatch area. Prices aren't outrageous for one/two year old models and the T5 version has lots of jam for "emergency passing maneuvers".

Just a suggestion. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exc911ence
The VW GTI is a wonderful car but the price of entry is in nosebleed territory, especially here in Canada. $35K for a hot hatch? Please!
The Fiat 500 gets a cool little runabout for $15-$20k, but I wonder about the practicality of it. As you said the GTI is awesome, but pricey - I saw a Focus sticker at $29,600 up here to. Mental

I like the used A3 idea. You get the GTI fun with a more useful car. I love my BMW, and the current 3 series rear leg room is decent, but you need to move the fronts forward a bit. I've ridden around in the back of mine for short trips and it's acceptable (I'm 6"1). The E90 is the perfect four door imo. I love it, and would get a wagon (they are rare) if I was looking for extra space.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hopeforcash
Since winter is here? A few of our P-cars are sleeping and some are driving the "winter" car. In the recent weeks there has been much discussion as to BMW, Audi and Subaru.

I've been thinking about all those cars as well, then realized they are all relatively powerful, sporty and relatively not very fuel efficient. ....
Not sure I see a problem here....

Let me put it this way, every morning you get up, and you are going to go in your garage and get behind the wheel of your daily driver. You don't want to be sitting in your *insert "settled upon" car here* and find yourself thinking "damn, I wish I had gone with the bimmer".

That's how I look at it anyway. I couldn't imagine spending money on a car I don't absolutely love.... whether it be 25 grand or 100 grand.

EDIT:

Here's a car for sale within your price range: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-for-sale.html

Ok, so it's not exactly the way this discussion was headed, but I want to make the point that, if I were to buy a golf, every morning I would get into it thinking "I could be in a C4". Then I would cry.

A prime example is one of our members who was shopping for a minivan, and came home with a 996C4S. Practical doesn't have to be boring, don't compromise!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Mazda 3. Fuel efficent, affordable and most importantly, fun to drive.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Mini cooper s. I'm selling the smart to buy one. My experience with maintenance has been quite positive. I've sold a number, and my dad has had 2, his current a jcw. The only issue i've come across are the trannies, so I'll likely be buying a 3rd party powertrain warranty.

It's the only "normal" car I've driven lately that's consistently impressed me. We have an appliance car already (odyssey) so our secondary car has to fun without being impractical. The smart is fun, but only 2 seats and a maintenance nightmare.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Not sure I see a problem here....

Let me put it this way, every morning you get up, and you are going to go in your garage and get behind the wheel of your daily driver. You don't want to be sitting in your *insert "settled upon" car here* and find yourself thinking "damn, I wish I had gone with the bimmer".

That's how I look at it anyway. I couldn't imagine spending money on a car I don't absolutely love.... whether it be 25 grand or 100 grand.

EDIT:

Here's a car for sale within your price range: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-for-sale.html

Ok, so it's not exactly the way this discussion was headed, but I want to make the point that, if I were to buy a golf, every morning I would get into it thinking "I could be in a C4". Then I would cry.

A prime example is one of our members who was shopping for a minivan, and came home with a 996C4S. Practical doesn't have to be boring, don't compromise!

I understand what you are saying and really at this time (I hope) the topic is just for discussion purposes.

Currently I have 2 P-cars and a van and I'm the only driver. The P-cars are for me only with occassion my 2 kids if they don't fight NOT sitting in the back. The current DD is an Odysesy. As the kids get bigger in age and size, I'm thinking keeping the van for convenience (if I find a place to park it) such as moving things around, car pooling with friends, or kids' friends. Personally, I hate the van but very practical.

The car in discussion would be the DD, fuel efficient and fun. I would have to like it (feel special about it) but not too much as the P-cars to be worried about a scratch or door dent.

Why I started this thread was that I looked at the A3 TDI a couple of months back (not really in the market but when I look at larger items, it prevents me from "impulse buying") without any test drives as I didn't want to waste anybody's time. This one is a contender, but it seems to be a little common.

Recently, I looked at the Mini Cooper Clubman at the dealer when I had some time between my "chauffeuring" destinations for my kids, and found the interior more spacious than I thought. The Clubman provides more trunk space. Then there's the movie "Italian Job" which made the Mini look like a fun car to drive.

The Japanese cars I find very practical and reliable but boring. The Hyundai and Kia have come a long way in styling and features but something about European cars that I am attracted to.

Anyways, just some insights as to why I started this thread.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christien
Mini cooper s. I'm selling the smart to buy one. My experience with maintenance has been quite positive. I've sold a number, and my dad has had 2, his current a jcw. The only issue i've come across are the trannies, so I'll likely be buying a 3rd party powertrain warranty.

It's the only "normal" car I've driven lately that's consistently impressed me. We have an appliance car already (odyssey) so our secondary car has to fun without being impractical. The smart is fun, but only 2 seats and a maintenance nightmare.
Is there a big difference in handling between the JCW and the S?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Probably, but I haven't spent enough time with the jcw to get to know it. The s handles pretty damn well, and is moddable (afaik), but my dad raves about the jcw - he absolutely loves it.

The way I look at dd cars is to try to compromise the least. You have a minivan, so don't make storage space a priority. If you need to move lots of gear, take the van. On the other hand, you want to put your kids in it, so make sure it's got a decent back seat. How old are they? Will a 2-door be a PITA to load kids into? (car seats in a 2-door are a pain). If liking it is a priority, then maybe sacrifice some creature comforts that might not be available in a fun car. For example, a charger can come equipped with heated/cooled cup holders, has 4 doors, lots of room in the back, and the srt has gobs of power. But it handles like a shopping cart. The mini doesn't have the cooled cup holder or the power, but is way more fun to drive and still has an ample back seat.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts

Ford Escape! AWD, 260HP and cheap....
Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VW GTI....pretty fun and much more space then the Fiat 500.

Not too sure if I would want my kid in a tiny little Fiat.

Quick Reply: OT: Another car opinion/experience request/discussion