Notices

Car buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car buying advice

Hey guys - it's been ages since I've been on here (or to the Sat GTGs for that matter). We're finally in the new house, which has kept me away for far too long - but that's another story.

I hate to simply jump back in to ask for help but I'm in need of some advice.
I'm looking to purchase another car for my family and have been looking at 3 options:

2007 Audi S6
44,000km, 2yr warranty. asking $48,200

2008 MB CLS 550
70,000km, 2-3yr warranty. asking $45,800

2006 BMW M5
63,000km, no warranty, asking $39,900

It doesn't have to be these specific cars but they're what I'm currently looking at so any opinions, advice or guidance would be appreciated. I'll be driving it all year round to supplement my current '05 C2S.

Many thanks,
Geoff
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 402 Posts

Glad to hear you are all moved in. I like the Audi. but seems a little high priced. have you checked the US?
explain the type of use for the car, maybe that can help with the recommendation.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi is definately the way to go. AWD and direct injection so its not as bad on gas + V10 power. Is the 2 year CPO? Try to get a longer warranty for sure.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 PM
gteehan
Racer

Thanks Dan. I want to buy local, mostly for convenience sake. Looking for something I can drive 4 seasons, fit 2 adults and 2 kids. Need enough space to put a folding wheelchair, folding walker and a bag or 2. The primary use will be short trips around the city but occasionally out of town in the summer - typically no more than 400km drive, and rarely at that. For the past few years I've just rented when necessary and have been able to manage fitting that stuff in a Hyundai Sonata, so any of these will have the same if not more room.

Phil W, it is a 2 yr CPO - can they offer more?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Geoff, if you can wait until the spring I can get you my best friend's 2008 M5. Manual trans, triple black with winter wheels, babied, off lease, maybe around 50,000kms. He's waiting to take delivery of a new M5.

I'd stay away from 06 V10s. 2007s and up are better cars. And no SMG. I hear they are a nightmare. You know where to reach me.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi Geoff,

Congrats on your new house. My wife and I followed your experience through the media. Glad it worked out for you and your family.

If I could humbly suggest...given your needs you might want to consider a crossover (like the Audi Q5) which is within your price range. A new car would be (likely) more reliable and less of a time risk.

JMHO of course.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
gteehan
Racer

Hey Cliff - Thanks for the info on the BMW. I've read some pretty mixed reviews on the SMGs but figured it'd be worth test driving to see for myself. I've read that the manuals aren't that great, at least in the 06 - I assume it's not an issue (if it ever was one) with the later models. I love the idea of a newer M5 but I need something pretty soon so I can't wait until spring.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:14 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maintenance is pretty scary on the M5s. You should see the price of front rotors.

Sharpman's suggestion in the Q5 is a good one. But is it more spacious or useful than an A4 Avant? I'm asking out of genuine interest. I do have a thing for wagons.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 AM
gteehan
Racer

Thanks SharpMan - The media has been bugging me to do a follow up story now that it's all said and done. I've said no until just this week and agreed to do something for the Globe in the new year. I'll post a link when it's up.

I considered a Q5 and a used Q7 but I really want a sedan. Not sure if it factors into the equation but I only put about 11000km a year on my C2S (4 season car). At that rate I'll only be driving the sedan about 5k a year, so reliability, while important, may not be such a big factor.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have to street park in the beaches...Quattro!!! Its a bitch to find parking when warm. The snow comes and 1/2 the parking is lost to snow piles. S6 has a crazy large trunk too. M5 for the pure driver.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 AM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Originally Posted by gteehan
Thanks Dan. I want to buy local, mostly for convenience sake. Looking for something I can drive 4 seasons, fit 2 adults and 2 kids. Need enough space to put a folding wheelchair, folding walker and a bag or 2. The primary use will be short trips around the city but occasionally out of town in the summer - typically no more than 400km drive, and rarely at that. For the past few years I've just rented when necessary and have been able to manage fitting that stuff in a Hyundai Sonata, so any of these will have the same if not more room.

Phil W, it is a 2 yr CPO - can they offer more?
If I am not mistaken I think you can extend it if you are purchasing from the dealer. Also the S6 is a wolf in sheeps clothing if that matters to you. We have an 05 A6 and I can tell you it does not look much different with the exception of 2 more tailpipes, bigger wheels, and v10 badges. Also the trunk is a monster, fits a full set of goalie equipment with room to spare.

Last edited by MidnightCayman; 05-05-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

If depreciation is a factor, the BMW should hold it's value over the other two. Don't get any of these vehicles without warranty - at least an aftermarket warranty.

I know a really decent sales rep at Downtown Audi and am friends with the Pre-Owned manager at BMW Toronto. Let me know if you want either of them to look around. They should be able to tell you when something you would like is coming to auction.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi Geoff - I saw a reference to the media in one of the previous posts so I did some googling.

I live in the Beach and I remember your story. I'm so glad that you're finally able to move forward. I was shocked and embarrassed to hear how some of our neighbors behave.

The Beach, while an absolutely wonderful place to live, has more than its share of soap boxers who are out to keep us living in cottages. I live in the new development at Q&W. You can imagine how much they love us!

Watch for a Seal Gray 996TT - black wheels, black GT2 wing and black intakes. Wave if you see me!

Want to start a Beach Chapter? Sun AM brunch at The Goof?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

hooray for downtown meets

sounds like you're in the market now so availability and local purchase trump the other criteria people have mentioned (US price, reliability). if you're truly picking from those three specific cars, the S6 sounds like the best deal. i'm wary of the bmw without warranty - i had a few nitpicky problems with my 335i that surprised me and i owned it out of warranty. quattro is a good bonus for the winters. what transmission is in the audi?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

As someone who has an M6, (identical power train to an M5), the new V8 will drive down used E60 prices. SMG is not the greatest transmission but with a very minimal amount of practice you can shift it seamlessly. Its no PDK though. In auto mode its jerky. I only had one major problem an ECU failure which was done under warranty and which they say was somewhat due to extended storage and little use.
The tires are definitely not suitable for winter though. The engine is one of the greatest power plants ever.

If I were to make the choice I would be inclined to go for the Audi with the AWD. Its quite a lot of fun to drive too, though not as special as the M car.

Quick Reply: Car buying advice