New 911 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 PM
SBPilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 911 owner

Hi,

I am a new owner of an all original and well documented Canadian '85 911 Targa.

I'm a fan of classic cars and it was a tough decision between this car and a BMW E9 I found but I decided to go the Porsche route having owned two BMW's in the past (restored '88 635csi and a real '94 Euro M3, yes I like BMWs . At first I told myself I wouldn't buy a 911 Targa, it'd have to be a coupe , but after taking it out tonight with the top off I have already began to show some affection towards the whole T-top I also think I got a good "deal"on the car.

I'm liking it more and more and I have only owned it for a few hours . I have some simple plans for it in the over the winter and in the future. It being so original I don't want to veer too heavily away from stock form. I plan to replace some aging nuts and bolts over the winter and maybe simple mods.
The first "mod" I want to do is change the headlights to the Euro style. I noticed I have H4 headlamps but I guess they are not the Euro H4? Other than that possibly a steering wheel as my knees hit the stock one rather easily (when using clutch).

Is there an online parts catalogue similar to RealOEM?
Hope to stick around and learn as much about the car as possible.
Will post pics soon (when we get a break from the crap weather )

Cheers
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Welcome. Try your model specific forum for more info. Make the search button your best friend. And post some pics, will ya.

Stan
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 AM
passion911
Instructor

Congrats on your purchase! I'm new to Porsche myself and I don't think there is a RealOEM equivalent in the Porsche world but I have found that you can download PDF files of your model and search those which is almost as good. I've also found Pelican is good for finding parts and pricing.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Richard930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...1M_catalog.htm

http://www.vertexauto.com/

http://www.allzim.com/index.html

http://www.automotion.com/

Also pick up a copy of Excellence - great magazine and lots of advertising for more specialized products.

Good idea to get rid of the sugarscoop headlights and get the proper euro lights.

Post pics of the car and have fun with it!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

and dont forget the obvious one ...

http://www.porsche.com/canada/en/acc...partscatalogue
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Richard930
Instructor

Oh yes - makes for entertaining comparison shopping! Latest for me was an alternator; $975 for a rebuilt one from Porsche or $330 for a brand new one through Pelican. Guess which one I went for..
Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 PM
SBPilot
Intermediate

Ah thanks everyone for the links and welcome.

Here are some pics so far. My brother borrowed my DSLR so please forgive the iPhone4 pics.

Yea Pelican has saved and helped me a bunch when I was working on my previous two BMW's. I overhauled my entire suspension on my M3, new control arms, tie rods, solid mounts, sway bar links etc. All came from pelican.

I am surprised how civilized this car is. I mean the heavy steering/clutch will take getting use to but it takes bumps very well and is surprisingly quiet, considering the engine is right behind you. Hopefully a used exhaust system will come up for sale. It's too quiet! Then comes the SW Chip, then then.....

an artsy instagram pic...
Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

It is beautiful ! How many miles?, owners?

What else do you know about your new German chick?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
SBPilot
Intermediate

2 owners, last one was a Doctor that brought it in to a reputable shop for just about everything he could think of (lots of receipts). approx 100 thousand miles or 167 000km. I know it's bone stock (I think even the head unit is stock...Blaupunkt cassette), drives wonderfully, my girlfriend thinks it's the "cutest" car I've owned so far, and that I've got heaps to learn about this air cooled german chick!

Can't wait to start making her mine...but buying the car has hit my wallet hard so I will have to wait to start that process. I have other expensive hobbies (racing motorbikes) that takes up a lot of my other monies
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 PM
SY6TTX50
Racer

She looks so nice. Congrats...
Old 10-28-2011, 11:07 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
and dont forget the obvious one ...

http://www.porsche.com/canada/en/acc...partscatalogue
Ice,

Thank you for posting the link for the parts,i didn't have that one ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
SBPilot
Intermediate

Began some detailing to get some scratches out. Owner must have brushed drivers side against something.
Regardless I'll be doing the whole car, a 5 stage detail using mainly Menzerna product on a PC. There are some minor stone chips here and there, mainly on the hood that I'll use the right Porsche touch up paint to fill after the detail.

Drivers door before ........................................................................ .......................................................... Drivers door after one compound

Drivers side rear fender right after the door line *before ........................................................................ ....and after one compound

Kills me to do it when the weather is so bloody nice out but rather do it while the garage is somewhat warm.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 PM
alg996
Track Day

Welcome, from another new member.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:19 PM
carguy88
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPilot
I am surprised how civilized this car is. I mean the heavy steering/clutch will take getting use to but it takes bumps very well and is surprisingly quiet, considering the engine is right behind you.
Actually, MY (mid) engine is right behind me...yours is waaaaaay behind the rear wheels.

Quick Reply: New 911 owner