Notices

Forza 4 has been released.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Forza 4 has been released.

I must say it looks just as good as GT5, maybe a tad better.

I setup a Rennlist car club to share cars. I'll send request to those that get the game and are on my friends list. You could also request if you don't get an invite.

My wheel is broken so I won't be able to earn credits to test out the Ruf's yet.

Photo of the 458 I got when I imported my FM3 profile. Got about 8 really good cars when I did this.

Last edited by jumper5836; 10-13-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. How is the driving experience in the game? How does it compare to GT5?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

From viewing replays for hours. The driving looks totally realistic. I only tried a game pad so I can't really say what the ffb and wheel feels like yet. I can say is that is seems really realistic in cockpit view with the pad. Without assists and it locks up and under steers in corners, over correcting in an over steer situation can cause a tank slapper. It fairly difficult to get a drift going without the steering assist on using a game pad but with the assist on it's very easy to drift.
The tire scrubbing and engine sounds are amazingly realistic. In fact the engine and gear shifting, and all the other game sounds blow GT5 away.
In cockpit view the view lurches forward under heavy braking or shift sideways under high g force while cornering.
I am really impressed so far. I think the only thing left out was the ability to have qualifying sessions prior to racing and full pitting menu options and the ability to fix aero in the pits.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

I really like FM3, and really DISlike GT5, mainly because of the menu experience. What I would really like to see is Logitech G25/27 support in Xbox, so that I can use my sim wheel.

Anyway, I'll pick FM4 up as soon as I can get to store that sells it!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I really like FM3, and really DISlike GT5, mainly because of the menu experience. What I would really like to see is Logitech G25/27 support in Xbox, so that I can use my sim wheel.

Anyway, I'll pick FM4 up as soon as I can get to store that sells it!
It will never support a generic USB wheel. I have a Porsche GT2RS Fanatec wheel that works with all platforms. It has USB and a built in MS xbox wireless unit in it. The Fanatec is just as good as a G25/G27.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

goona pick up mine before Friday.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It will never support a generic USB wheel. I have a Porsche GT2RS Fanatec wheel that works with all platforms. It has USB and a built in MS xbox wireless unit in it. The Fanatec is just as good as a G25/G27.
Hey Jumper, was just on Fanatec's website, they have great gear.

How do you like the wheel compared to the G25/27? I'm biased towards the Fanatec because it's ultra sleek looking and well, Porsche gear.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

The GT2RS design makes it easily my favorite wheel. The way the buttons are placed are exellent and don't look like buttons. Alcantera and the German belt driven ffb motors make you feel everything the way you want it to. Totally adjustable in the wheel menu. I can save up to 5 different game presets on the wheel for switching between games.
Logitec does have its profiler on PC but I like having the presents and more granularity that Fanatec wheel offers.

My original wheel did break, I ordered the Turbo S wheel and which was the first model. The newer models are built better then the original unit. The ffb went on it and I wasn't sure I would get support for it since I had it for almost 2 years. I send out a request and without much hassle asked me to ship it to them. The wheel hub had broken so they replaced basically everything, new GT2RS wheel hub, main cable and upgraded the fan in it then shipped it back to me and even send me out extra 6 speed and sequential shifters.

The G25/G27 is a remarkable wheel as well but I really prefer the alcantera and button layouts as well the ability to adjust the ffb strength and effects in game rather then in the profiler.
I did buy the Clubsport pedals as well. These have a load sensor for braking. It doesn't go by pedal travel and really feels like a real cars brake. Though if you don't want to spring for them with an optional adapter you could just use your G25/27 pedals
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Wow. How is the driving experience in the game? How does it compare to GT5?
i qualify my comments by saying i've been a huge videogame nerd since the atari 2600 and a car fanatic ever since i knew they existed: GT5 was a colossal f*cking dissapointment. Typical japanese arrogant videogame attitude of "we're japanese, we'll just try and improve graphics and the roundeye children will eat it up. We'll make a totally sterile product with lack of any real feeling or feedback behind it because we think we've mathematically nailed the difference between real driving and videogame driving."

i was a huge cheerleader of GT5 until i played it. The game is aweful. The physics don't feel spot on at all (read: braking).

Forza on the other hand feels quite good (their tire and braking system are vastly superior to the ancient GT5). GT seems to share the same problems as Air Canada does in its own industry (metaphorically). They have a massive sunk cost in a physics engine since GT2/3 and keep trying to band-aid it, hoping that the massive car count numbers will sway the lemmings who are too young to even drive a damned car; so even if they were to undergo a massive retweek (a la Spec 2.0 download), it would be a lost cause because a new competitor (Forza) can build from scratch with a more innovative backend and no legacy costs and totally kick ***.

/end rant.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

+1. When I'm not a photographer, I design UI for apps on popular wireless devices from a well-known company that's named after a fruit.

Both of my backgrounds were appalled at GT5. Not only is the design busy and confusing, but the UI is entrenched in a scheme that seems to require half a dozen menus (and pop-ups!) to do anything. Nothing is obvious, and everything is frustrating. And that's just the menus!

I'm not a video game nerd (I only really play driving games) but I'm with you that I didn't really buy into the car's physics in GT5, either. It's sensitive without being fun.

Forza 3's model IS fun, largely because it isn't very hard, so I have high hopes for Forza 4.

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
i qualify my comments by saying i've been a huge videogame nerd since the atari 2600 and a car fanatic ever since i knew they existed: GT5 was a colossal f*cking dissapointment.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM
mx22
Burning Brakes

What's the name of the club in Forza? Not really sure how club joining feature works - I can only enter 4-letter club tag. Jumper - I just sent you a friends request using that Xbox button you have here on rennlist...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

The club is rennlist [Renn].
I'll add you once I get a chance to.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Never realized this was in the Rennlist Canada section. Do you maybe want to cross post in the Off Topic section?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mx22
Never realized this was in the Rennlist Canada section. Do you maybe want to cross post in the Off Topic section?
If you would like to please do. I made you a co-leader.
Something similar to the one I posted here would be good.
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/fo...d/4874126.aspx

Added this to the club garage last night.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Has anybody else noticed that the default setup for most (all) cars produces huge understeer compared to Forza 3? I'm still trying to figure that one out...

Quick Reply: Forza 4 has been released.