Notices

Importing Car, parking in Calais Maine ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM
flexbert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing Car, parking in Calais Maine ??

Looking at purchasing a vehicle in the US, planning to drive down to look at several options in the Mass/Connecticut area and possibly purchase next weekend (October 15). Since the paperwork needs to be with US Customs and Border Patrol 72 hours before you can cross the border with the car, I need to leave the car in the US for about a week. I have a place that I can park the car that is about 5 hours from the border, so that would mean about 10 hours drive each way from Halifax, making it not worth the risk to do it in one day.

My thinking is that if I can find a place to park the car in Calais Maine (happy to pay for it), then going back to pick up the car after the 72 hour wait is a lot easier. It's only about 5 hours from Halifax to Calais ME, so a round trip could be done in a day.

So my question is, does anyone know of a place that I could park a car for about a week in Calais Maine ??? Second choice would be somewhere from Calais to perhaps as far as Bangor ME.

Thanks

--flexbert
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I would look at all the possible border crossings for different requirements, because some will be much more convenient for you than others.

Lewiston in ON for example only requires the VIN 72hrs in advance. That would allow you to give them the VINs of all the potential cars in advance, buy one of those, and drive it home without worrying about the 72hr thing.

I could have crossed the border same day I bought my car had it have been open.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I would look at all the possible border crossings for different requirements, because some will be much more convenient for you than others.

Lewiston in ON for example only requires the VIN 72hrs in advance. That would allow you to give them the VINs of all the potential cars in advance, buy one of those, and drive it home without worrying about the 72hr thing.

I could have crossed the border same day I bought my car had it have been open.
all of the borders require 72 hours...and he lives in NS so I think he is talking about the closest border for him. also I don't think us would appreciate you sending 5 vins and importing only one. Just find a service garage in the town you want and call them and offer some $$$. or go on the town's website and ask somebody.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:57 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

As I wrote, I used Lewiston as an example only and I just wanted him to know that not all crossings require documents 72hrs in advance. He is trying to work out the logistics of starting the 72hr clock after buying the car. That may be completely unnecessary.

I started my 72 hours 5 days before I bought the car.

I sent the VIN of the car that I was *likely* to buy to the border 5 days in advance of me buying it. Whether or not the US would care if you sent them a few VINs, or even notice that you did, I dont know, but the OP seems to believe that transaction documents have to arrive at the border 72 hrs in advance. That is not the case at all borders.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

ah now I understand that you are trying to tell him that some borders accept the vin via email and you don't need all the docs just the vin number. I personally wouldn't send multiple vins unless planning to buy multiple cars but would with one in which a transaction could follow through.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 AM
flexbert
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I am in NS so Calais or Houlton ME are the closest crossing points.

I have contacted USCBP at Calais and they require the title and bill of sale 72 hours in advance, same for Houlton. They are open 24/7 at Calais. Followed up with CBSA and they are also open 24/7 at St. Stephen NB (Canadian side of Calais crossing).

I'll look into contacting a local garage in Calais - small town so I should be able to work something out.

BTW this for either an SC or a 3.2 Carrera, depending on what I find.

Cheers,
Lex
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
blur911
Advanced

The US would like you to do this paperwork, but Canada Customs could care less. AFAIK it would only have fallout if you brought the car back across to sell it again in the US. YMMV
Old 10-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Medski
Instructor

Don't forget the Sales contract. (Can be just a paper saying car model + year + vin sold from X to Y person.. Both sign the paper and date it)

The US customs don't need that but the Canadian ones do require it.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Find the closest self storage bussiness to the border and amke a deal with them to only have the car there for a week. I bet it won't be more than $20.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 PM
flexbert
Advanced

Looked at the local self storage in Calais (actually it was a buddy of mine who will be making the road trip with me that checked into it) and it is $65 for a one month minimum so that might be an option. That would be less (significantly?) than the gas to go the extra 5 hours each way past the border, let alone the time savings.

My better half is pushing for a US shopping trip when I pick up the car, so this may become moot if we're going to go almost the 5 hours past the border to inject more $$$ into the US economy anyways.

Lex
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blur911
The US would like you to do this paperwork, but Canada Customs could care less. AFAIK it would only have fallout if you brought the car back across to sell it again in the US. YMMV
WRONG Canadian customs won't let you import the car unless it the title is stamped by US customs.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 AM
blur911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbodan
WRONG Canadian customs won't let you import the car unless it the title is stamped by US customs.
Good to know it's changed at some point. A friend imported a Subaru a few of years ago and had no problem even though he hadn't stopped at US customs to export it.
Sorry about the incorrect info.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:55 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the vehicle in a Public Storage locker... maybe 30 or 40 bucks
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 PM
k1smm
1st Gear

There is a garage named Obrien's on Main St. in calais. They sell cars and I am sure would let you park on their lot at minimal cost. call 207 454-8460.

JA
Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Will they allow a car in a storage locker? I looked into that locally for winter storage for my car, and not a single place with 50km would allow a vehicle to be stored in a locker, only outdoors. I'd make it a 3-day trip, if I were you.

Quick Reply: Importing Car, parking in Calais Maine ??