advice during winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Sciloh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice during winter

Hello

I just want to get your opinion on what my options are regarding my 2012 GTS during winter.

As it is, my car is parked in an underground spot where there are no plugs available for a battery tender/maintainer so it means i have to start it and drive it till it reaches operating temp.

my question is that since the car will not be driven during winter other than around the block to charge the battery and get the fluids going, should i still get winter tires for it?

or just buy the tires regardless ..... The reason i'm asking is that i don't want to spend on something that's not necessary.

thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 02:56 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do not intend to drive the car for more than a few minutes around the block on dry pavement, you do not really need snow tires. Just be extra careful (= slow) because summer tires in sub zero temperature do not grip very well (traction, cornering and braking)
Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Sciloh,

If your main concern is the battery.... why not just remove it and charge it on a float charger in your condo? Lots of float chargers on sale at this time of year at CTC etc.

What's your winter transportation?

Peter
2000 VFR800
2001 Boxster S
2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T - DD
2003 CRV 5spd -wifes
2004 Polaris 550Fan - winter toy
Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Sciloh
Instructor

Thanks for the insight Arnaud....i was thinking along those lines i just need confirmation

Peter, I could go that route as well....but i kinda like the idea of me driving it even if its just around the block for a few min
My DD is a Subaru WRX
Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Sciloh
...my question is that since the car will not be driven during winter other than around the block to charge the battery and get the fluids going...
that is very sad for you...
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car Cover

Stabil and topped up gas.

TireCradles for the tires.

Over inflate the tires to 50 psi which will make for some scary driving!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

The WRX sounds like a lot of fun in the winter.....

I don't think a few minutes around the block will charge the battery sufficiently.... But if you can afford a GTS,.... battery's are pretty cheap in comparison.

For me, I save $100/month insurance when I take my Boxster off the road.... Premium drops from $125 down to about $20/month for fire and theft. I am off the road from Mid November into Late March, so it's quite a savings for me. Enough to pay for my snowmobile insurance and permit.

Winter Commute:

http://blog.pjbj.ca/2009/01/gone-for...bile-ride.html
Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sciloh
but i kinda like the idea of me driving it even if its just around the block for a few min
I do the same. Mind you, I have a battery maintainer, so i haven't had trouble starting it.

If you're underground parking is heated (even well protected from the worst part of winter) then you might not need to be so worried about using a battery maintainer - if it's not going to freeze, letting the battery drain may not be the worst thing in the world.

In this case a portable battery booster may suit your needs. You can charge it up in your house and then jump the car to get it started. Take the car out when the roads are mostly dry around your place and you needn't be too worried about salt, either. I try to do this about once each month, December to March - which means only three times, really.

There's a lot of forum topic covering this. Everybody has their own theory...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Sciloh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Targatoo
I do the same. Mind you, I have a battery maintainer, so i haven't had trouble starting it.

If you're underground parking is heated (even well protected from the worst part of winter) then you might not need to be so worried about using a battery maintainer - if it's not going to freeze, letting the battery drain may not be the worst thing in the world.

In this case a portable battery booster may suit your needs. You can charge it up in your house and then jump the car to get it started. Take the car out when the roads are mostly dry around your place and you needn't be too worried about salt, either. I try to do this about once each month, December to March - which means only three times, really.

There's a lot of forum topic covering this. Everybody has their own theory...
It's not heated but the lowest it goes down in the parking lot is around 10 degrees, do you have dedicated winters on? do you over inflate your tires as well?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
boraiv333
Instructor

Here is my regime for winter storage:

1. Battery maintainer plugged
2. Change fresh engine oil and new filter
3. Rags in the exhaust and front intakes to minimize rodents from entering....don't ask....
4. Inflate tires to 50 PSI and raise the car on blocks for a "couple of centimeters" to relieve the shock "alittle"
5. Place wall "insulation" boards under each tire to stabilize temperture changes during the winter
6. Top up the gas tank with PeterCan/Sunoco 94
7. Cover up the car.
8. See you next season!

Has worked for me for the past 15 years.

Cheers.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by boraiv333

6. Top up the gas tank with PeterCan/Sunoco 94
Sunoco 94 = bad! Too much ethanol. Cars aren't designed to run on corn. Lots of reading on it around here, if you feel like it.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Sciloh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christien
Sunoco 94 = bad! Too much ethanol. Cars aren't designed to run on corn. Lots of reading on it around here, if you feel like it.
wow....thats the gas i use all the time....
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 272 Likes on 182 Posts

All I do it fill up with Shell Premium - NO ethanol, add a little Stabil, park it on 24" square foam floor tiles (search this forum for pics I posted) and plug in a trickle charger. Mine is in an old garage so I have mouse traps all over. Take it out for a drive every couple of weeks when it's dry and you may not even need the charger.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Sciloh
Instructor

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
All I do it fill up with Shell Premium - NO ethanol, add a little Stabil, park it on 24" square foam floor tiles (search this forum for pics I posted) and plug in a trickle charger. Mine is in an old garage so I have mouse traps all over. Take it out for a drive every couple of weeks when it's dry and you may not even need the charger.
so, i'm assuming that a winter tire is not necessary since its not going to be driven per say
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

I disconnect the negative on the battery and that's about it. The winter is only a few months, not like it will be stored for years. Sometimes the tires get a little flatspotted after sitting, but a couple heat cycles brings them back to normal.

Quick Reply: advice during winter