Notices

advice during winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

just drive it around the garage if you want to drive it. Adrian Strathers says don't start it over the winter.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
blur911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
just drive it around the garage if you want to drive it. Adrian Strathers says don't start it over the winter.
Adrian is right. About the worst thing you can do is take it out for a spin to warm it up. Starts up another cycle of condensation and rusting of bits, plus cold starts are the worst thing for an engine. Just leave it sit.
Some others have given good advice on what to do. I also throw a large piece of cardboard under mine to keep dampness and condensation down.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's actually a section in the owner's manual on how to store the car for the winter. If it's still the same from 2007, they recommend not to drive it, but instead to let it sit through the winter. My regimen is to:

1. Wash, polish, wax
2. Clean the interior
3. Place moisture absorbent pads in the interior
4. Over inflate the tires to 44psi (or whatever the max allowed PSI is of the tire on the car)
5. Disconnect negative terminal of battery (sometimes, I'll take the battery out and hook it up to a CTEK charger)
6. Cover the car
7. Let it rest until the spring

If there's a stretch of really nice weather in the forecast, I might take the car out, but the potholes, salt chunks and debris that accompanies a nice spell of weather in the winter usually preclude bothering with taking it out.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

[QUOTE=fc-racer;8921688]
1. Wash, polish, wax
2. Clean the interior
3. Place moisture absorbent pads in the interior
4. Over inflate the tires to 44psi (or whatever the max allowed PSI is of the tire on the car)
5. Disconnect negative terminal of battery (sometimes, I'll take the battery out and hook it up to a CTEK charger)
6. Cover the car
7. Let it rest until the spring
QUOTE]

Yes and add stabiliser to a full tank of gas.
Little drives are bad for it........
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 85 Posts

Another good idea is to put plywood down in your parking space, helps keep the moisture down and it is easier on the tires as well. I concur with the others and say just leave it and don't start it up over the winter.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 278 Likes on 187 Posts

Big controversy on driving occasionally if you do a bit of research but I think as long as you take it for a good run, it's better than letting it. Probably doesn't really matter one way or the other. No need to disconnect battery and in ECU equipped cars, you can screw up your programming. Trickle charger is least hassle and risk. I'm not sure how the odd cold start can really be that bad since there are lots of cars that are driven all winter.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sciloh
so, i'm assuming that a winter tire is not necessary since its not going to be driven per say

Not unless you're in Quebec! Just drive it like a Carolla and the tires will be fine. John Hulley at Pfaff told me they do test drives all winter on the stock tires without problems.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If there is a concern about rodents, consider steel wool in the tailpipes and mousetraps around the car. Put a note on the steering wheel to remind you to remove the steel wool in the tailpipes when Spring arrives!

All I do is wash it, throw in fuel stabilizer, drive it onto some rubber pads and cover it with a Battery Tender on. I don't even overinflate the tires and have never had any problems.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

I'm driving it all winter
Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

I do the same as PB. Way to much over analysing on this one sometimes but to each his own ..

periodically starting an air cooled car with heavy weight oil at sub zero temperatures ? how can that possibly be ever better than leaving it all winter and not starting it at all and waiting till spring .. no controversy in my mind. Engine wear damage is done when starting. period ..
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by theiceman
I do the same as PB. Way to much over analysing on this one sometimes but to each his own ..

periodically starting an air cooled car with heavy weight oil at sub zero temperatures ? how can that possibly be ever better than leaving it all winter and not starting it at all and waiting till spring .. no controversy in my mind. Engine wear damage is done when starting. period ..
These are cars we love and tend to be a bit annal about their care. I think you figure out over time they're quite robust and it's pretty hard to do much damage outside of salt and the track....
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay for storage someplace else with a battery maintainer and that's it. Don't try driving the car every week in bs weather! You would have to adjust the tire pressure every time, the car would get dirty and much more...
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

the car would get dirty oh no. get some winter tires and drive it all the time
Old 10-07-2011, 03:18 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

There are summer cars, and winter cars, and all season cars.

My Boxster S to me is a summer car. My Jetta is my 'all-season' car. While I've owned it, my Boxster has never gotten 'dirty'. Rained on - sure - rarely, but no muddy or salty roads.

I don't think driving the Boxster in the winter would be enough fun to balance the heartache of getting it salty or stone chipped.

My Jetta has all the stone chips.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Sciloh
Instructor

my GTS will be my "summer" car as i have my WRX to be my all season car. I really never have 2 cars especially a dedicated summer car so i'm not really sure what to expect or do. researching about it leaves me even more confused as there are different schools of storing a car during the winter with each backing it up with personal experience.

to be honest, I'm still confused as to what to do...but it looks like a number of people here on rennlist do not start their cars during winter

Quick Reply: advice during winter