Notices

OT: Ride for Diabetes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 745 Likes on 484 Posts
Default OT: Ride for Diabetes

Some of you have met my 11 year old son, Matthew, at the Saturday GTG's and you may have noticed that we haven't been out much in the past 2 months. Well, that was because Matt was diagnosed with Diabetes in July and we were absolutely floored. He has been amazing through this whole event and now checks his blood glucose levels at least 4 times a day by himself, counts every carb he eats and takes shots of insulin 4 times/day. He has never complained once...Craig's post about the tragic passing of his son, Mitchell, hit me extremely hard given what we went through this summer with my best friend. So please, don't take even one moment for granted and get out there and enjoy your kids as they are truly precious.

Each year there is a fundraising event called the Ride for Diabetes. It is primarily a corporate event where participants ride a stationary bike for a set period of time. Well, one of our neighbours asked if it would be OK with us if they put a team of kids together to ride in support of Matt. We were extremely touched by their thoughtfullness and Matt agreed that it was a great idea. They received permission to have the kids participate (I'm sure the adults will be surprised to see a bunch of 8 - 11 year olds) and have set-up a donation site. If any of you have been touched by Diabetes and feel you would like to donate and support the kids, we would greatly appreciate it. The site is: http://jdrfca.donordrive.com/index.c...0&teamID=27945

Thanks, Mark

Last edited by Onami; 09-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, sorry to hear that Mathew has this terrible desease. My Grandfather lived almost 50 years from the moment he was diagnosed, but largely due to my Grandmothers' strict oversite. In most cases Type 2 Diabetes can be managed with very very very strict diet, excersize and medication. Now my Father has it too.
Keep a close eye on Mathew and you should enjoy many years together.

Good Luck
Stan
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks Stan. Unfortunately, Matt has Type 1, so he will be insulin dependant for life or until they find a cure. It's funny, last year I was telling my wife that I felt the need to become involved in a charity or cause...I guess I found one

As we learn more about childhood diabetes, we are shocked by some of the stats. I don't remember ever meeting a kid with diabetes until I was in high school. Now, they say that one child in every 250 - 350 kids is a juvenile diabetic.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

The kids have raised $960 so far!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
As we learn more about childhood diabetes, we are shocked by some of the stats. I don't remember ever meeting a kid with diabetes until I was in high school. Now, they say that one child in every 250 - 350 kids is a juvenile diabetic.
Statistically speaking, DM I hits about your son's age or later for most cases. I don't think you would have known 250-350 kids old enough to get DM I until you reached high school.

Speaking from personal experience, my public school was K-8, avg 2 classes per grade, so about 450 kids. I don't think there are many DM I below Gr 4, as it doesn't seem to hit in early childhood, might be linked to changes at puberty?

P
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

There sure does seem to be a lot of Kids Matt's age at the clinic, but we also see 5, 6 and 7 year olds. I have never read any claims of a link to puberty though. Consensus seems to be a viral connection. Regardless, the kids have raised $1,370 so far! So many generous people out there!!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

As someone who sees patients with the complications of this disease everyday, you just need to be supportive of your son and make sure he sticks to his regimen, gets lots of exercise and eats appropriately.
DM1 persons can actually be the healthiest people on the planet if properly regulated.

Best wishes
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks Homer. That is exactly what we have told Matthew. He is now treating his body like an athlete does and he will be in excellent shape if he continues. He has been unbelievable so far. He counts every carb, will not cheat, is continuing with Karate and hockey, and never complains at all. My wife and I will do everything in our power to make sure he has a "normal" healthy life. Yes, lots of finger ****** and shots, but as my father always said, "you think you have problems until you see someone else's". Diabetes is a pain given the structure that is required, but it is manageable. Take care...
Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

The kdis are up to $1,865 with 2 days left before the ride! We're hoping to get to $2,000 before Friday

Quick Reply: OT: Ride for Diabetes