Notices

OT:Sad news

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

What Cliff said.

Jesus christ, this makes me so sad and angry. My kids are 5 and 2, both girls, which makes them perhaps a bit less likely to suffer from this. But it doesn't make it any easier to read these stories.

There was a very difficult story in yesterday's globe about exactly this:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2178586/

I really hope you can get the message through by reading the victim impact statement. There's something grossly unjust about the fact that an 11 year can understand enough to take his own life, yet another 11 year old can't comprehend the damage he's caused.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig, I must congratulate you for finding the courage to come forward publicly at this very difficult time to share Mitchell's awful story. I too hope that this violent, ignorant boy will have some understanding of the consequences of his actions once he hears how he has affected your family. Mitchell's story is being very widely followed & discussed, and hopefully your coming forward will have real impact on this issue.

Take Care,
Chris
Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just read that the case has been adjourned until November 21st so that the Crown can revise their case given Mitchell's passing. The good news is that criminal proceedings may still be viable. The bad news is that the Craig's family have to prolong this ordeal.

I truly hope Mitchell gets the justice he deserves. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1060889
Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CBC News just had a live piece on this...

More needs to be done in regards to bullying!!!

My kid and I had to deal with this and the school staff was way too relaxed about it....
Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Someone at my daughter's school is going through something similar. She is removing her child (he has learning and physical disabilities) from the school completely. Police are involved as well.

Her best advice? Document everything. Schools and school boards can only do so much. Don't rely on them.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Stig
Someone at my daughter's school is going through something similar. She is removing her child (he has learning and physical disabilities) from the school completely. Police are involved as well.

Her best advice? Document everything. Schools and school boards can only do so much. Don't rely on them.

WTF... that ain't right.....
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Bergamasco
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't even begin to imagine what this loss must feel like. I used the reference to the Globe and Mail article in my high school religion class after our prayer (St. Francis Assisi). Lord make me an instrument of your peace. How can we do so in our schools? This was part of our reflection. We take bullying very seriously at my school. Our prayers are with you and your family.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 PM
997inTO
Racer

Thank you everyone for your support ! Please share my story! With friend family and anyone who listen! Things have to change!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 AM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im so sorry for your loss. Just saw the story on Global news as well. Hopefully things change in schools but also in the families.
My prayers are you with you and your family.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

My wife teaches elementary school. We had a long chat about this the other night. What she said was this: teachers and staff do pay attention to this kind of stuff, and they do anything and everything they can to stop it, whether it's at school or elsewhere. They would absolutely call parents if there was any suspicion of bullying activity - not always the aggressor's parents, but definitely the victim's parents. She said that's not limited to what happens at school. If they see something after school while they're driving home, in the neighbourhoods, at the mall, wherever, they'll act on it. What she stressed to me is that the vast majority of teachers really care about their students, and won't stand for aggressive behaviour any more than the parents would.

Where they run into problems is parents who don't want teachers "raising their kids". Ironically, this attitude most often comes from parents who probably should have teachers helping to raise their kids. She used to work at one of the most "challenging" schools in the city, (I'll never forget the parent who regularly forgot to pick up his kid because he made his "living" playing online poker) and she ran into that attitude most often there. So if a kid was being picked on, and she made the call to the parent, she'd sometimes get met with resistance.

So basically, the schools can and do take an active role in the prevention of bullying. Never mind the legalities of what they can and can't do, they're sympathetic human beings who care.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Mitchell's story is getting tons of attention. Awareness is on the rise. Here's another cracking article. I read the comments as well. People have definite views.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/28...-legal-trouble
Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw you on CTV Canada AM this morning, as said by others great work taking these horrible events and using them to inform others about what a real problem this is and try and turn this into a positive thing.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
997inTO
Racer

Dr. Phill show contacted me yesterday! They want to hear my sons story! Oct 11 we are to be on his show in LA.....I will make people listen and understand what my boy went through!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 997inTO
Dr. Phill show contacted me yesterday! They want to hear my sons story! Oct 11 we are to be on his show in LA.....I will make people listen and understand what my boy went through!
that will definatly get the world attention on this issue. my mom watchs Dr. Phil everyday
Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Way to go, Craig! May G*d give you strength.

Quick Reply: OT:Sad news