Notices

996 Expertise Required in Toronto!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 09:58 AM
Colpitts
3rd Gear

Default 996 Expertise Required in Toronto!

Hi folks,

The day has finally come... I'm torn between two 996 Carrera 2's.

The car in Montreal has been looked at by Prestige Porsche, and passed the PPI with flying colors.
The car in Toronto is owned by a man who was injured in a bike accident, and therefore can't drive it for a PPI (Unless I choose to go to his mechanic, who is located right up the street... Not the best PPI candidate).

Some of you may have seen it around... As seen here:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ281408164

Would anybody be able to take a run out and check out the car?
Or perhaps shed some light on its history?

It's considerably cheaper then the Montreal car, and thus worthy of a look. However, before booking my ticket, I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks!

And feel free to email me at :
macdonald.s.andrew @ gmail . com (no spaces)
Old 08-30-2011 | 10:00 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

financing can be arranged? is he (toronto car) a dealer?
Old 08-30-2011 | 10:14 AM
Colpitts
3rd Gear

I will pay to have someone reputable take a look, of course.

He's a private seller.
Old 08-30-2011 | 12:03 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Why won't he allow you to drive it to the mechanic of your choice? EU Autowerks in Woodbridge is very highly regarded. Mantis is also another choice. If he pushes back I would start to question if there is something fishy going on.
If you haven't bought a used car before, make sure you get the Used Vehicle Information Package from the MTO and verify he's the owner, no leans against it and also have mechanic verify all the VIN numbers match
Old 08-30-2011 | 12:13 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

if he wont let you take the car to a shop of your choise. id walk... have it taken to EU Autowerks
Old 08-30-2011 | 12:56 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Race Car

If it is legit, I think the issue is the seller is crippled and lives in Brantford. I don't think he wants someone he doesn't know taking his car that far away for the PPI. Ask him if he has a family member or trusted friend that can take the car to EU Autoworks for a PPI.

In saying that, the car is quite possibly a repaint and/or accident repair based on the mileage/body mods/price. Lots of due diligence required on this one.
Old 08-30-2011 | 01:53 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Looks like an amazing deal.
I could be wrong but .... I think I saw a similar ad for an M3 that was too could to be true
Old 08-30-2011 | 05:53 PM
mjh1
Instructor

Be carefull, but it does sound like a really good price, he must have someone he trusts that can run it in to a shop you want it inspected at, if not I'd walk way, sometimes there's a reason for it being to good of a deal.
Old 08-30-2011 | 11:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Interesting - he is parked in a handicap spot.

Records are very important. If he has a full record of service done to this car it might be worth a look. If not - your taking his word that the car has been maintained. IMS bearing replaced with proof? Type 1 and 2 over rev's? AOS ok? You can buy a paint thickness gauge pretty cheap - you'll be able to spot the sections resprayed with it.

Here is the deal I would offer him: You'll give him what he is asking only if he and the car along with you meet at your shop of choice for a PPI. Offer to buy him lunch while you wait and drive the car with him as a passenger if he can't drive it. No PPI at your shop - no sale.

Dealers are booked a week ahead for PPI's in slow season. Indy's are more flexible. I recommend Brent Hunter but any mentioned here elsewhere are good as well. Ernie at Mantis is closer at about an hour from Brantford in good traffic.

The thing is - there isn't anyone in Brantford that does a lot of Porsche's or even factory trained. Kitchener, London and GTA and your good to go. Going with some guy who has worked on the car makes ME just as qualified as him as I do some work on mine. You don't want me or someone like me. LOL
Old 08-31-2011 | 06:06 AM
Hibbing
Intermediate

The guy selling the Brantford car is a very strange person I would avoid the car. I got a bad feeling from him.
Old 09-02-2011 | 08:24 AM
PFAR
Intermediate

Default ?

Was the car misrepresented?

Originally Posted by Hibbing
The guy selling the Brantford car is a very strange person I would avoid the car. I got a bad feeling from him.
Old 09-06-2011 | 02:02 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

I would not buy a car with that licence plate! lol

Quick Reply: 996 Expertise Required in Toronto!