Notices

Another frauldster!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another frauldster!

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...o/19_4216164_/ , the old cliche of "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

For giggles I contacted the seller, "her" initial response was:

"Hello,

The 2004 Porsche 911T is still available for sale for 23,900$, it's a great looking, and hard to find car considering the price.
This Porsche is accident free, it has 37,000 miles, the exterior shines, and the interior was well cared for, the mechanical performance is flawless, and it has plenty of power with the 6-cyl engine. It shifts smoothly and handles great too!.Because of my divorce settlement,i own this car and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible (that`s why i`m selling it so cheap). We will use PayPal for our safety, i want only legit transactions. Let me know where are you located,maybe we can organize an inspection.
Have a great day"

So I asked to meet her with the car since she advertized locally and for her phone number, all of a sudden the car is not local and not even avaialbe for inspection since it is "sealed for shipment" from PEI, yet the picture of the car shows B.C. plate:

"Hi ,
If it's OK with you please let me know your phone # and as soon I'll get a chance will get back to you with a phone call to discuss this sale further. I have a clear title in hand, free of any liens or loans. The car is at the shipping co. in Prince Edward Isle PEI sealed and ready to ship it, as I got a new job and moved here to start over. I've signed up with PayPal so the payment will be submitted via their services. I'm very busy with my job, so I can't meet you in person, reason for why I chose to sell my car online. If you want to continue,I will need your name&address. After I receive your info,I'll forward it to PayPal and they will send us both invoices. PayPal will instruct you on how to make a refundable payment. They hold the funds until the car is delivered to buyer, inspected and until he confirms that has received the car in it's described condition. You will have 5 days to decide if you want to keep it, and if PayPal should release the money to me or not. If for any reason you won't like the car (I don't see that happening) PayPal will refund you and I will instruct the shipping co. to store the car until I find a new buyer.It's not necessary to ship the car back. If you want to buy it,please send me your info so we can proceed.
Melissa"

Going to report to Autotrader now..........
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is listed on Autotrader.ca and All I've had interested to date were scammers. WTF is with these idiots????
Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Yep...I have had the same experience...all willing to buy unseen, wire transfers, car perfect..and all in a remote place. I generally have some fun with them and ask for them to put the money in escrow at my lawyers. That's the end of the conversation
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
pkjense
Racer

I had a similar experience with a beautful 2005. Problem was the seller was an F-16 Pilot stationed on an aircraft carrier in the Gulf, so the car was already sealed in a container ready to ship.

I pointed out to him that F-16s don't land on aircraft carriers, and never heard back from him. The ad was pulled from ebay immediately.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Tanner2305
Instructor

I've had a ton of these.

Thanks for the swift response,please advise on the least amount you will like to give it away and advice on the present condition of the car with the service history as well, am buying this as a surprise gift for dad for his birthday so i wont let him no until it been delivered to him. and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday off shore oil rig department,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online i.e (PayPal) here, as i do not have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my pay pal account, and this is why i insisted on using pay pal to pay.

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that. You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.ca and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore,but our satellite server has been down due to the bad weather which restrict our calls,please get back to me asap
regards
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tanner2305
I've had a ton of these.

Thanks for the swift response,please advise on the least amount you will like to give it away and advice on the present condition of the car with the service history as well, am buying this as a surprise gift for dad for his birthday so i wont let him no until it been delivered to him. and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday off shore oil rig department,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online i.e (PayPal) here, as i do not have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my pay pal account, and this is why i insisted on using pay pal to pay.

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that. You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.ca and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore,but our satellite server has been down due to the bad weather which restrict our calls,please get back to me asap
regards
I sent him a note back saying that to him that if he can wire me the money same day bank to bank I'd knock $10,000 off the price and ship the car from the warehouse free of charge. I told him the car was stored in Yellowknife.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
dc88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What surprises me is that there are people out there that will believe the story and "buy" the car!

I had a fraudster try to sell me a E55 many yrs back for $20,000 below dealer black book value. In this case, I saw the car but it seemed to good to be true so I decided not to proceed ahead. However, my wife's coworker took out a loan and bought this car. Five mths later RCMP came knocking and confiscated this stolen car! No charges were laid but he was still stuck with a bank loan.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

unfortunately, these scams exist and proliferate because they work.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

What happened to good old days when they met you and rolled you for the car or the cash ....
Old 08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
What happened to good old days when they met you and rolled you for the car or the cash ....
LOL.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
At least when you get screwed it's face to face and not over the internet!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
unfortunately, these scams exist and proliferate because they work.
And these scams work because a large portion of people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
cartfan123
2nd Gear

Default Get revenge!

These are typically called '419's...here's a site I had hours of fun reading about them...they typically bait and frustrate scammers...

http://www.419eater.com/index.php

I

Quick Reply: Another frauldster!