Notices

Rear-ended in the 964 today - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear-ended in the 964 today - advice?

In stop and go traffic SB on the DVP this AM. Some young guy in a POS '91 Celica plows into the back of me after I'd come to a stop for a good while.

Engine and engine bay appear okay. Rear bumper is badly creased and deformed, exhasut tip is touching rear, lower valence, engine cover gaps no longer consistent, etc.

Car's totally drivable.

Police attended - did not issue a ticket - claiming it would be hard to convict. Which is crazy to me - seems VERY clear the guy wasn't paying attention!

Got all his info and he had current, valid insurance.

Was told by attending office just to go to CRC and file a report.

The other driver wants to avoid a claim - and I'm okay with that - but he made it clear that "if it's more that $1000 - I'll need to go through insurance". He did not seem to have the means to just cut me x-1000's cheque to cover the repairs.

Q's:

Should I file a claim? If it's NOT my fault - is there ANY chance my rates will go up?

I don't trust the CRC to make an accurate estimate of the damage to a 911. Will I get to have a knowledgable adjuster look at it?

Where should I go for estimates for a 911?

Thanks if you can help make a crappy day a bit brighter - I'm feelling pretty bummed about my butt getting smashed - as it were.

RK
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 508 Likes on 325 Posts

Check your policy but most likely it will not affect your rates because you got rear ended so your insurance will chase after his insurance for the claim.

Try Pfaff Autowerks for an estimate.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear.
Your rates will likely remain unchanged for the first claim. Make another one (even another one in which you are not at fault) in a couple of years, though, and they will probably increase. Mine did, anyway.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You should also switch insurance to a 19A policy. Your car is "classic", ie: over 20 years old. Your rates will go down dramatically. I pay $30 a month for my car.

If the driver looks like he can't pay - do you really want to take a chance trying to cash his cheque?

I'd go through insurance and be done with it. Plus this way he'll learn the hard way, about not paying attention.

I think the CRC just files a report for posterity. Don't think they make a call on the actual damage amount or extent of repair (I could be wrong). Your insurer will send you to a "preferred" collision repair shop for estimates. You can also tell them that you want the work done by a Porsche repair facility.

Check the engine carrier/gusset for cracks. The bumper re-inforcement plate is likely pooched too. Good time to get the rear tail lights replaced. Check that the spoiler is functioning as it should. Stump up for 964 RS bumper too!

Feel bad for you mate. Bet you haven't been out in it much to begin with.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

The CRC is required to report the information to the insurance companies. Our "no fault" system works on a "law of averages" apparently - and my co will just pay. I cannot imagine damages being less than $1000 (the limit of the other driver's comfort) so I'm thinking this is the only option.

I can't get through to Rote Technology (I knew Steve from my RX-7 days) - anyone know if they're still in biz - or can recommend a great east end shop for the repairs?

Thanks,

RK
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Does the police report indicate the other driver is 100% at fault? If so, then put it through insurance, no question about it. And like everyone else has said, make sure it's done at a shop that knows what to look for on a 964 - not just cosmetic fixes, but making sure there's no damage that's not immediately apparent.

And then, like Cliff said, switch over to silver wheels. I'm up for renewal - a whopping $230 for the next year.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
boraiv333
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI,

19A is a DIFFERENT insurance policy-type then Silver Wheels.

Generally speaking:
19A is a defined "appraised" and mutually agreed replacement value for your vehicle

Silver Wheels has very strict usage policies (to shows/parades, etc.) and could not be driven "daily/pleasure".
Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by boraiv333
19A is a DIFFERENT insurance policy-type then Silver Wheels.
No it's not. Silver Wheels policies have the OPCF 19A addendum. Mine does. First question I asked them.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM
ScrnPrntr
Instructor

Its amazing how the $$ accumulates quickly.. what might seem like little damage, ends up to be alot..
In my experience. its best to use the insurance. the company's will fight it out over fault, no fault and no.. your premium should not increase.

i was rear ended twice in 16 months in my Jetta, and both times.. when through insurance.. no increase.

sorry for your $hitty day..

at least no one was injured..
Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrnPrntr
i was rear ended twice in 16 months in my Jetta, and both times.. when through insurance.. no increase.
That's encouraging. I still don't believe that's how it was in my case, but I could be wrong.

To the OP, if more than one panel is affected, I doubt that there's any way the damage will be less than the $1000 value the guy who hit you hoped to keep it under.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Christien
Race Car

Don't forget the now-diminished value of the car, too, if you put it through insurance. The claim will be attached to the car for the rest of its life. Of course, if it's had previous hits, than that doesn't matter.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would find out how (and why) a ticket was not issued ? And work on getting one issued.
It is a ticket that is EASY to convict.
I think you got a lazy cop. Try again, you may need it.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

on my previous car, i had two accidents where it was deemed 100% the other driver's fault. my insurance did not go up at all and i paid no deductible.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

RK, that sucks!! I got rear ended 2 weeks ago in my Condo Building. About $10,000 in Damages its at Pfaff right now getting Fixed.

Got all his Info. Then Drove to the Friday Night meet and got Advice from jasonintoronto. Went Home called insurance, explaied to them what happend. On the phone they said from the situation i am not at Fault and my Insurance will not be affected. Got a call in the AM from the Rep at Insurance he also took down more Details and said teh same thing I am not at Fault, my Rates wont go up and it will not show up on my Record. But it will show as a Claim. He said there was no need for Police Report but i went and did one anyways. Also made the Person who hit me Sign a Paper stating the Details and Circumtances on the Accident. <<< Eshel told me to do that. Loosk like a good idea!

I say save the Hassle and call your Insurance and get it Fixed. Than to deal with someone who you say does not have the means... its just going to Fustrate you more to deal with that Person if he does not come around and pay up.

Should have my Car back Friday... but i like the Loaner :P

Take your car to Pfaff Autoworks in Newmarket or Bestline in Woodbirdge, both have Mixed Reviwes.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

your not at fault ... go throug insurance .. do NOT take the guy at his word .. could be a 10G fix easy
. if your back end is tweaked the engine will have to come out ..

Quick Reply: Rear-ended in the 964 today - advice?