Rear-ended in the 964 today - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
When I crashed my 911 at Mosport, I took it to Bestline. Vito did a great job, and at a decent price. They had to reshape my rear left quarter by hand because it's got welded-on flares, and they couldn't find a replacement part.
+1 For Bestline.

Also RallyGuy, Rote Tech is still around. Bestline subletted my wheel refinishing out to them and Rote did a wikid job.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

you should go through insurance, if you accept money from him , insurance is out, Your hit from behind , rates wont be affected
Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Steve Martin
Pro

I was backed into at the gas station last year. ended up going through the ins. co. because the other fella turned out to be an a$$hole. I had a rental for the week, car was repaired at Pfaff in newmarket, and didn't cost me a thing nor did my rates increase.

the service at Pfaff was great, made my experience painless....
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 277 Likes on 186 Posts

Who did Stan's blue 993 Turbo? They replaced the whole fornt end of that car and did an amazing job. Might have been Vaughan Fine Touch?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Who did Stan's blue 993 Turbo? They replaced the whole fornt end of that car and did an amazing job. Might have been Vaughan Fine Touch?
lol definatly was not Bestline apprently he had a deal with a horror show there...
Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call your insurance company and advise them of the situation,
That a claim MAY NOT be filed, if the guy pays up.

I nearly got screwed when I was 18 by the parents of a stupid beyotch who said they would pay for the damage.......and then jerked me off w/o lube for a month.
Lucky for me I advised my insurance co that day it happened, so when no check appeared my Insurance Co was happy to contact their company and advise them of the unreported accident that their client had.

BTW - This girl ran into the back of my 1969 Mustang Mach I at a red light. ( I had just spent 3 years rebuilding the car ) She hit me with her foot on the gas. It was her third accident in her 1st year of driving. Cop gave her a ticket for careless driving, I was a witness in court and the judge took her license for a year ! sweeet !

Now, If her mom and dad had not tried to screw me over and just paid for the repairs as they said they would have........ I would not have wasted my time showing up in court and dumb *** would not have lost her license.......

Jeeze, sorry for the rant....30 years later AND I"M STILL PISSED OFF !!!!!!!

JUDGE: What happened?
Me: I was stopped at a red light for several moments and she hit me from behind hard.
Judge: What kind of day was it?
Me: It was a great day.........Till she HIT ME !!!

Courtroom and Judge burst into laughter
Old 07-28-2011, 04:33 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 277 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
lol definatly was not Bestline apprently he had a deal with a horror show there...
You are corrrrect sir! I heard the story 1st hand and it's off to VFT if I ever need any work done............
Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

RK...updates man......inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point S - sorry for the delay.

The physchology of such an occurance is facinating to me. I just had to NOT think about it for a few days - I had become so sad about it.

While many will argue "it's just a car" - they'd miss the point that it actuallly represents much more. It's the achievment of a dream - a testimony to personal success, a reward for hard work and the fulfillment of a desire that's been in me since the 80's.

Further - I was in the process of acquiring this car just as my mother passed away in 2009. In that incredibly hard time - this car (and all that it embodied) offered a safe harbour, an escape, a distraction that was so desperately needed.

So - to have some dumb-*** punk drive into it through utterly foolish lack of attention in stop and go traffic on the DVP had me pretty upset.

Further - as all the track junkies and racers on the forum will appreciate, if you drive race cars long enough - you tend to get VERY sensitive to any minute changes to the feel, sound, responsiveness in the car. Years of rallying (where any little change might mean you need to start babying the car just to finish the stage) has me ultra-sensitive to changes - and they're never for the better.

While the 911 is drivable, it's got an odd, transitory engine-related vibration that's new, felt through the wheel and seat. Prolly means my brand newly installed 993 motor mounts are toast! And the throttle response feels a tad less crisp. So I've been bummed about niggling and propably hard to sort mechanical issues too.

I finally managed to put the car up and have a look underneath. You can see where the bumper shocks have been through some seroius travel. One seems to have not bottomed out - but the other exceeded its limits and the rear panel actually hit the muffler and the whole rear exhaust seems mildly askew.

Further - the rear panel in which the engine cover hatch is located is deformed a bit and the frame rail below that is ever so slightly bent.

The rear light panel is busted in a few spots too.

I'm just sorting out where to take it for mechanical and body work. BelAir's been great so far - but I'm girding myself for a write-off, value battle and subsequent buy-back outcome.

We'll see and I'll keep you posted.

Time to get the S2 out again it seems!

RK

Last edited by Rally Guy; 08-05-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

okay.. less wordy update next time Robinson .... who do you think you are Toronto Worker ?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Sorry to hear this. Based on experience I think you will likely be in for one of the following:
1. You take it to a reputable shop who will repair it properly but the cost of the repair will be high and the insurance company will write it off (you could potentially buy it back but then have to incur the repair cost anyways and have a salvage or some other 'branded' title.
2. You take it to a shop who will use some aftermarket or used parts and bang it out so the estimate is below the point where the insurance company writes it off but then you always question the repair...

A bad situation all around.

Good Luck.

Steve
Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

RK, you gonna string us along until the 964 wrench session or do can we get an update before hand on whats going on?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Sorry - I'm dragging my butt on this - sorting out the REALLY impt repair - ME! In rehab and getting better. Back in the ice last night for the first time and was able to play fairly hard - so fingers are crossed that I'm getting healed.

On the car front - nothing to report. It's drivable - so I drive it. ; )

Want to make sure I have it for the 964 GTG - so I haven't taken it in yet. And pending F-car purchase has me distracted too. ; )

More soon - thanks for asking and will see you at the GTG!

RK
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Pending f-car purchase? Did I miss something??
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Oops - have I said too much? Nothing concrete - you can talk me out of it at the 964 GTG.

WHEN is that again??

RK

Quick Reply: Rear-ended in the 964 today - advice?