Notices

Anyone using Silver Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Stuttgart Hustle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently changed over to Hagerty, they expanded to Canadian market last year [huge in the USA]. Much better than silver wheels, basically no restrictions,roadside assistance etc, etc, and the rates are better than silver wheels. Check them out!!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 568 Posts

Which broker are you using? I called Hagarty a few weeks ago and they put me in touch with a broker in Oakville which had no clue what they were doing. They had only insured a couple of cars with them to-date.

Hey Stuttgart, do sometimes eat lunch in your car in a parking lot near Hurontario and Brittania...I eat there most days to get out of the office and think I saw you last week.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Stuttgart Hustle
Intermediate

My car comes out this weekend so it couldn't have been me. Brokers Trust Insurance group. Talk to Mario Giansante, he set me up.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 PM
breale01
Racer

Been following this thread with interest. It seems the hagerty.ca web site states that cars used for Drivers Education events, do not qualify.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 568 Posts

Thanks Stuttgart. FWIW, Hargarty policies are also "limited pleasure use" policies like Silver Wheels (I just called them).
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to use Silver Wheels 4 yrs ago, but they told me that I would have to notifty them if I was to take the car over night somewhere.... they seriously said that.

I never used them. Hagerty is new to Canada and I am very happy with my rate / coverage for the 964.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Ted from Kitchener uses them, he goes by Cosmo Kramer. I'm thinking of using them as well this year.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by peritus
I was going to use Silver Wheels 4 yrs ago, but they told me that I would have to notifty them if I was to take the car over night somewhere.... they seriously said that.
That would be ludicrous. I hope they don't get pissed at me, my car slept at Mantis last night!

But seriously, they can say anything they want over the phone, but at the end of the day all that really matter's is what's written in the policy. There are no restrictions whatsoever on paper, except that the vehicle is to be used for pleasure purposes, less than 16k km per year.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
mousecrab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christien
Good question. I did ask the question what if I needed to drive to work (or for a meeting, etc, seeing as I work at home) and I had to drive the Porsche, because my wife has the van with the kids? She said that's fine, a once in a while thing. So, yes, lots of ambiguity, and that was an off-the-record, unofficial phone conversation. I would think in such a case that if your coworkers could back you up by saying that yes, everyday you show up in your Toyota, and maybe once a year you take the P-car, you'd be fine.

Though now that I think about it, there's no such thing as "pleasure driving" on the DVP anywhere near 8am, so you'd be screwed
Driving on DVP at around 8am is definitely a pleasure after you try driving on 401 at that time.
My friend just brought a vintage T-Bird and he told me his insurance wouldn't even let him park the car on a drive way... needs to be in a gargage.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Silver wheels will insist on an alarmed garage if the car is valued over a certain amount (I think 50k?). Didn't matter to me, my car's not worth anywhere near that! (wish it was....)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

I am recently with Hagerty as well for my 3.2. Looks like a lot less restrictions mainly pleasure driving, not DD or track/DE use and usually in own garage. Have not read the fine print.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Silver Wheels?