Notices

Best Mosport Spectator Corner

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Best Mosport Spectator Corner

As the title states just curious what the best spectator corner at Mosport as and how to access it. I have typically only ventured down to corner 1. Heading out tomorrow to take in some Ducati action. Cheers......
Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

They're all very different, and it depends on what you want to watch. Between 2 and 3 is fun to watch the cars coming through the bottom of 2. 5 is really cool, because you can watch them barrel down 4 then whip around 5, and you can see half the back straight. Outside 9 and inside 10 are also fun. You can spend the whole day just walking corner to corner - you have no idea how far it is from the front straight to turn 5 when you drive the track!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding? Moss's corner (5a, 5b, 5c) Lots of action, as they jockey for single file, then open up again for the back straight! That is until the "go fast go left boys" hit the track. They sometimes try to go around 2 wide which never works out well!

Standing close to the fence at 5a can sometimes result in getting dirty when cars hit the wall, and the odd car part comes up into the crowd! Live large, its worth the walk. Its a lot easier to get to now than it was 20 years ago.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I've spent 25 years marshaling here - there are no bad corners! Well maybe 5C - but you guy's are not allowed there. We call our crews who are sent to 5C the 'bush pigs'. Sometimes we hear 'things' in the bushes behind us... We're not sure 'what' it is in there...

My pick's?

Top of Corner 2: Who has the right stuff mode for this corner. Double apex and you can't see the second one until it's too late to adjust your line for it, you just have to 'know' when to turn in for the second one. Fastest car I've ever seen through corner 2/2A? Al Jr in the Can Am GR3 Frisbie in the early 80's or something. Flat out - did not lift and the OMG if something happens he's in Lake Ontario feeling everyone got who watched him do it in qual. Never seen anything faster - including 962's, ALMS Audi P1's etc through here. And this was like more then 30 years ago including tire developments... Ground effects - great when it worked - airplane mode when it didn't.

Bottom of corner 4 (drivers right is a no go area): Gives you a sense of cars falling off a cliff as they come down the hill. Then turning to the left you watch them braking and turning up a hill that looks likes it's two stories in height - at least from where your looking.

Corner 5: Best viewing of any track in North America. Don't take it from me - I heard Americans behind me at last Sundays World Challenge/Trans Am event raving about the view as the cars come down the hill from 4 - around in front of them through 5A - short bit and then through 5B and they could see them for half the distance of the back straight as the cars climb up to corner 6. Lots of action here. Hungry tire walls between 5A and B... (and your so close to the track as well - this isn't your avg modern F1 circuit where you need a Hubble telescope to see anything!)

Corner 7 (not really a corner - but the 'hump'): Top speed reached here before braking zone for corner 8. Total 'sound' freak section! Great spot to watch P1 ALMS proto's hammer through here. Either side is good as your up above the track on hillsides. Drivers left is better in afternoon as sun is in your back. Great RV parking spots here - both sides.

Corner 9/10: Shows up who 'has it' and who doesn't as far as Apex masters as it's a double S bend. Top of 9 drivers left on the hill is good - or even across track drivers right where you can see them coming from corner 8 and then past you onto the tunnel and into corner 10 and onto the front straight.

Corner 10: Great lawn chair spot right behind/beside the marshal stand. Talk to us - we don't bite. Washrooms just up track if your with young kids or have female partner who has small holding tank!

Cheers.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:09 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Excellent description! Choose the type of action you want to see (or in the case of turn 5 chance of being a participant in) then go to the appropriate corner. Just don't wear white at corner 5! I could have used some brown corduroys on an occasion or two.

"still alive at corner 5"

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I've spent 25 years marshaling here - there are no bad corners! Well maybe 5C - but you guy's are not allowed there. We call our crews who are sent to 5C the 'bush pigs'. Sometimes we hear 'things' in the bushes behind us... We're not sure 'what' it is in there...

My pick's?

Top of Corner 2: Who has the right stuff mode for this corner. Double apex and you can't see the second one until it's too late to adjust your line for it, you just have to 'know' when to turn in for the second one. Fastest car I've ever seen through corner 2/2A? Al Jr in the Can Am GR3 Frisbie in the early 80's or something. Flat out - did not lift and the OMG if something happens he's in Lake Ontario feeling everyone got who watched him do it in qual. Never seen anything faster - including 962's, ALMS Audi P1's etc through here. And this was like more then 30 years ago including tire developments... Ground effects - great when it worked - airplane mode when it didn't.

Bottom of corner 4 (drivers right is a no go area): Gives you a sense of cars falling off a cliff as they come down the hill. Then turning to the left you watch them braking and turning up a hill that looks likes it's two stories in height - at least from where your looking.

Corner 5: Best viewing of any track in North America. Don't take it from me - I heard Americans behind me at last Sundays World Challenge/Trans Am event raving about the view as the cars come down the hill from 4 - around in front of them through 5A - short bit and then through 5B and they could see them for half the distance of the back straight as the cars climb up to corner 6. Lots of action here. Hungry tire walls between 5A and B... (and your so close to the track as well - this isn't your avg modern F1 circuit where you need a Hubble telescope to see anything!)

Corner 7 (not really a corner - but the 'hump'): Top speed reached here before braking zone for corner 8. Total 'sound' freak section! Great spot to watch P1 ALMS proto's hammer through here. Either side is good as your up above the track on hillsides. Drivers left is better in afternoon as sun is in your back. Great RV parking spots here - both sides.

Corner 9/10: Shows up who 'has it' and who doesn't as far as Apex masters as it's a double S bend. Top of 9 drivers left on the hill is good - or even across track drivers right where you can see them coming from corner 8 and then past you onto the tunnel and into corner 10 and onto the front straight.

Corner 10: Great lawn chair spot right behind/beside the marshal stand. Talk to us - we don't bite. Washrooms just up track if your with young kids or have female partner who has small holding tank!

Cheers.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isnt a bad spot in the joint. Best part about Mosport is being able to move from corner to corner. I like to start at the top of two (where you can see the run out of 1 all the way up into three) and then work down to 5a/b/c. It's a good hike up the back stretch inbetween races and the action through 8/9/10 offers great passing in the last few laps when guys are desperate to get by. Only downside to the hold onto your ***** speed at Mosport is that there are fewer passing opportunities for very evenly matched cars.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Great way to spectate Mosport is with a Jeep. I haven't found a way to 5 though.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim 7
Great way to spectate Mosport is with a Jeep. I haven't found a way to 5 though.
Shhhhhh, but there is back road that runs down behind the back of the oval....
Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jim 7
I remember seeing guys make it all the way up there in a modded jeep and they were so happy and proud that they made it....that is until they saw a gen 1 Mazda rx7 happily sitting on the top of hill at 5. Got a good laugh out of that!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Xpit77
Racer

I love the look and the sound of a Duc.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:50 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks all - just got back with my 3 & 2 year old sons (get them hooked early). I must confess that all corners are dismal when the track is closed due to fog. Sun made an appearance for a while before I had to leave for lunch/naps and other kid stuff. Cheers.......
Old 05-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Xpit77
Racer

If your two young sons tell you that they loved the sounds and the smell at the race track, start saving some $$ !
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I've spent 25 years marshaling here...
Thank you

I like the top of 2, but you're right it's ALL good.

Still have no idea where are 6 and 7 though (and 5C actually), but have to say that we are fortunate to have such a track in our back yard.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpit77
If your two young sons tell you that they loved the sounds and the smell at the race track, start saving some $$ !
I've got a 1.5 year old grand son living with us, and he's a REAL boy. I struggle with that thought every day; how much do I want to encourage him to get involved
Old 05-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thank you

Still have no idea where are 6 and 7 though (and 5C actually)
5C is the where the flag station you can see up track from corner 5 - the flags are on drivers left just after the shallow bend that leads up the back straight. It's right before the big overhead sign. 5C is always the 'pull off' station. Racers having trouble look up the rising back straight - maybe with a blown clutch or motor issue and just say 'F' it and pull over here and park. Good blue flag spot here however. Lots of bugs...

Station 6 is way up the back straight just before the slight kink to the right. This stations flags are on drivers left as well and it is also the black flag/meatball flag station. It's the station that had the ALMS GT2 class Porsche almost go through the barriers just about 100 feet before them last year. We now keep the flaggers back from the barriers here as a result of that crash. Both 6 and 7 are the 99% boring - 1% OMG stations! Between 6 and 7 was where the ex-Villenuve Can Am Wolf flipped three years ago killing the driver.

Station 7 is the 'hump' on the back straight. The hump used to be a 'jump' up until about 10 years ago when it was 'shaved' down by about five feet vertical in height. Car's in the 60's and 70's were flipping over backwards here. In 1977 Ian Ashley cleared the fence drivers left after getting air at 7 and then took out a TV tower as he cart wheeled down the grass almost to outside of cor 8 missing everyone and ending up with broken ankles. That was it for F1 at Mosport...

Quick Reply: Best Mosport Spectator Corner