Careful out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
What was your point then?

We don't know what were the exact circumstances it this case. Maybe the person being towed was a total duchebag. Maybe not.

The 50 km/h over limit towing law is plain stupid. On many levels.
+1. 100% agree with you! And in your defence, I don't get why the standard answer from the self-righteous, peanut gallery on RL must always include a "Wanna go fast, hit the track..." pointless statement. Really?! I think most of us on this forum "hit the track" on a regular basis so we understand speed, car control and situational awareness so we don't need sanctimonious sermons like that.
This law is stupid and contrary to the Charter of Rights as it makes the roadside officer, judge, jury and executioner. It is another tool in the arsenal of greedy politicos to justify artificially low highway speeds by perpetuating the myth that speed kills, while the true agenda is revenue.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

What was your point then?
The point is, too often I read about how sorry forum (any forum) members are if someone gets a speeding ticket. I wonder how sorry they would be if their antics involved another forum member. Whose side would they take? The human race are a bunch of hypocrites.

We don't know what were the exact circumstances it this case.
Which is why the second half of my comment is based on "If speed was the case", how I started that sentence.

I'll be "cruising" at 200 km/hr legally on public roads later this summer. No need to preach the silliness of some of our laws, especially when other countries have far lower fatality rates, yet have far higher speed limits.

We don't score so well on this continent, even with our snail paced speed limits...
International Traffic Safety and Analysis Group - Report
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Harold_Callahan
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the GTA I saw a Carrera getting towed 2 days ago on Meadowvale. 2 Pursuit cars attending (fully lit up) near the Metro Zoo.

Not a good way to start your morning. 3rd car I have seen getting taken off the road on Meadowvale for speeding in 2 months.

-Callahan-
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 AM
dc88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is not speed. It is bad, stupid and unskilled drivers!

Yesterday I saw a Cayenne full of teenage boys racing down a small side street and school zone at well over 100kms/hr in full acceleration, burning rubber all the way (I smelled it on the street). This will classify as a good instance where I would applaud a cop towing a car away!

However a guy driving fast on a highway with no cars in sight?????
Old 05-21-2011, 07:24 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wanna go fast? Hit the track and find out how slow you really are.[/QUOTE]

A Sage is amongst us, we now know where to seek enlightenment
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM
AHI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even in most relaxed driving conditions I find myself doing 140 on the 401 with the flow of traffic... I can't believe I am only 10 km/h away from total devastation.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

I do think Ontario's stunt driving law is going too far the way it allows the cop on the street to be the judge, prosecutor and jury all at the same time. What other provinces have a similar law? BC? But there does need to be some sort of line in the sand drawn for society, speeds and our public roads. 140 kph in a Porsche is not all that fast (I was at the track the other day commenting to someone that I am taking corners at the track faster than I am allowed to travel on our local public highway). But I swear they must have been using a Jeep when they came up with the speed limits on our roads as 50 kph seems the right speed in my Jeep on some roads, as does 80 kph on other roads and things get real noisy on the highway in my Jeep when I go 120 kph (I really don't want to go much faster).

I got a photo radar ticket the other week here in Calgary. I was clocked 65 kph in a 50 kph and it's me in the picture they sent. But my 65 kph was likely just me revving the engine to switch from 2nd gear into 3rd gear before I settle down to about 60 kph. These photo radar tickets are bull#### as they are nothing more than revenue streams for the municipal government. If the cops were serious about speeding they would stop people in the act. Of course stopping them and confiscating your cars really bites. But even though our Porsche's can easily handle the speed and some (not all) Porsche drivers know what they are doing thanks to some of us tracking our cars, it is still the public roads and the public roads are not the place to be excessively speeding. Not all cars and not all drivers are the same. When I drive my sister's minivan, I just don't get the same feel for what the tires or brakes are doing. So unless I got really used to it (someone shoot me when I start driving a minivan ... I like my Porsche and I like my Jeep), I definitely would not go that fast in the minivan.

Ever since I started tracking my Porsche, I know driving fast on the public roads is not the place to drive fast. If I drove my 911 on the public roads anywhere close to how I can drive it on the track, I would get arrested, my car would be taken away and I would likely make national news where bloggers call me all sorts of names. So I keep my right foot in check while on the public roads as I know my next track day is not that far away. It just sucks that next year the city is taking away our race track all because they want to expand a landfill.

Morons ...
Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 AM
AHI
Advanced

Originally Posted by My993C2
But I swear they must have been using a Jeep when they came up with the speed limits on our roads as 50 kph seems the right speed in my Jeep on some roads:
I remember reading reports that they used the Chrysler K car, or what they called a Reliant !!!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The speed limits are there to allow us to get used to driving highway electric golf carts in the not-to-distant future. A hunert will seem really really fast.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera
Wanna go fast? Hit the track and find out how slow you really are.
A Sage is amongst us, we now know where to seek enlightenment [/QUOTE]

hmm . is sage from the vegetable food group ?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:50 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
The speed limits are there to allow us to get used to driving highway electric golf carts in the not-to-distant future. A hunert will seem really really fast.
Except I recently had a pre-production Nissan Leaf electric car to evaluate for 24hrs and I was tooling around at 140 km/h on the 427...it was so quiet that it actually felt slower than a conventional car at the same speed!
Guess the govt will have to come up with a better excuse than pollution and fuel consumtion as a reason to lower speeds.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:01 AM
spender
Pro

Ontario has ridiculous speeding laws, I assume this goes back to Bob Rae?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

no .. Harris took out photo radar which was great ... Rae put in the ridiculous victims surcharge on tickets in his reign and the current 50 over is a Mcguintyism ..
Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
no .. Harris took out photo radar which was great ... Rae put in the ridiculous victims surcharge on tickets in his reign and the current 50 over is a Mcguintyism ..
Maybe Tim will give us a bit of a break when he gets in.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Problem now Ronnie is no politician will have the courage to repeal that stupid 50 over law. It will be viewed by the public as giving the right to the people to speed excessively which is suicide for any politician . as well as provincial coffers.
The real crime was letting it in in the first place.

Quick Reply: Careful out there