Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
Default DIY - CV Joint Boot/ Joint repair - Kitchener/Waterloo area

Hi All,

2001 Boxster S.

Going to start attempting a inner and outer (my inner boot has a small crack in it) boot replacement on the passenger side half axle. I'll have the hockey game on in the garage.....

I believe (have to check the records) that I got the driver side CV boot(s) done before I picked up the car.

The CV boot kit (OEM, GKN brand) is only $20 per joint (up to 2 required) per half axle. Local Part Source store. same price as autopartsonline and autopartsway.ca.

If things go smoothly tonight (big IF), hopefully I'll have the half axle off, and on the workbench. Hopefully the boot kits will be in tomorrow, and I'll clean and repack the CV joints. Neighbor is lending me a 32mm impact socket for the axle nut, just picked up a cheap set of no-name, mainland China, snap ring pliers at lunch.

I got the Stanley impact wrench rated for 500ft-lbs last month on sale at CT last month. Will be impressed if it can loosen the axle bolt..... will be giddy actually....

I discovered the small rip yesterday, while doing my annual oil change.

I guess I will entertain helpers/ watchers if so desired......

Man I wish I had that Maxjak.....
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with the cv boot surgery. Make sure to update us on how it goes and if the impact wrench works.

After seeing Jim7's set up, I'm so putting in a lift.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you need to touch the axle bolt? I guess the Boxster is a lot different from the 944.

Edit: Wow! I just read up on this a little, and it IS a big job. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Yep - got spousal permission for a lift a few months ago. Likely the Maxjak would be best in my situation.

I need to certify the floor, and find out how deep my (expansion) cuts go before I can proceed any further with the lift.

I've got a few pieces of old carpet to pad my work area for this job, and one pair of 3 ton jack stand that go from 16-24" high, so I should be at a comfortable height....

P
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking forward to some pics of the process!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 AM
petee_c
Drifting

had more progress than pics.

Notables.
- I had a leaky inner boot (the tears didn't go right through the boot, but looks like grease was leaking around the flange of the boot. (?Clamp not done up tight enough.)
- Once I got the wheel off, it was clear that the outer boot had a rip. It was about 50% the circumference of the boot.
- got the axle nut off with the impact gun alone. Took about 10-15 seconds before I could see it turning.....
- I have an air hammer. Used it to back the axle out of the carrier.
- marked the concentric fasteners to the 2 fasteners on the wishbone and then removed them to swing the wheel carrier out of the way enough to get the axle out.
- my air ratchet is loud....
- jacked the rear by the sway bar mount on the passenger side. The whole rear end came up.
- inner CV joint cleaned and dissassembled. Luckily I had acouple before pics on the camera so I could see what faces went where... Though, I don't think it matters. Googled how to reassemble the races on a CV joint.

- trying to figure out the best way to clean the non-dissasemblable (sp!) outer CV Joint.... Thinking about running parts cleaner in it. swishing it around, and repeating...... I can only get to half the CV joint with paper towels.

Couple pics.
Attached Images      
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Both CV joints look good. was a little worried about the outer one. I ended up wiping out the visible grease, and then a can of brake cleaner to wash out 90+% of the remaining grease in there. You can spray it into the open end of the outer CV joint, and it flows out a hole in the axle stub. Collected the stuff in a pail on the work bench. Put a lot of compressed air through it too.

Got the axle reassembled without too much drama... Note use a faceshield when using an impact hammer. Had a close call as a chip bounced back and hit me in the corner of the eye. Was putting the inner CV back on, and realized I was missing the brass coloured inner CV cover. oops.

Used my vise to gently squeeze the metal covers back on the inner CV joint.

Got the axle bolts cleaned in my home made parts cleaner. - Plastic PB jar, hot water and Fantastik. Then shake it like a mixed drink.

Have to wait to finish it. One of the kits was missing the small boot clamp. WIll have to call tomorrow and get a replacement sent to the store.

P

a couple of non interesting pics to follow
Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great pics, looks like fun! Also love the license plate.

Nice work petee (although Coke zero is no substitute for beer on a job like this!)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Future Porsche owner? and axle - cleaned, reassembled, repacked and ready to go in.....
Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,036 Likes on 736 Posts

are u kidding he probably used the coke zero to remove the grease ..
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
petee_c
Drifting

darn it all! Did i drink the brake cleaner and spray the coke zero?

Clive - did u get your lift yet?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Good job. You keep the broom at the same spot as I do!

Yeah Clive, when is the lift arriving?

Quick Reply: DIY - CV Joint Boot/ Joint repair - Kitchener/Waterloo area