Notices

Where in Montreal can I buy car care products?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 PM
targagr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very interesting thread...i shipped tires once to Vermont and got them installed there..saved a bunch of money.
But how does it work if i ship a product to Freeport Forwarding? They charge holding fees? Do i just call them and arrange delivery?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by targagr
This is a very interesting thread...i shipped tires once to Vermont and got them installed there..saved a bunch of money.
But how does it work if i ship a product to Freeport Forwarding? They charge holding fees? Do i just call them and arrange delivery?
yes you can ship tires to freeport, i did for my porsche and lot of parts

you go get them when they arrive, and pays the fees, taxes, duty....

you shipping package:

freeport forwarding/your full name
freeport adress blablabla

and your tel number

make sure to get a tracking number

when the package shows on internet, you go get it
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
targagr
Pro

Do i notify the place at Freeport or just go pick it up? is there charges at the pick up place?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by targagr
Do i notify the place at Freeport or just go pick it up? is there charges at the pick up place?
Definitely call them first so they know to expect a shipment for you, especially if you are a first time customer.

Also, make sure it doesn't get shipped USPS i.e., US Postal Service....I got caught once....USPS will no longer deliver it and it likely will get sent back. The other shippers work fine (Fedex, UPS, etc).

I've been using Freeport for over 20 years. Great people. For the address, I always use 'name' and 'their address' (don't put Freeport Forwarding in the address). I think I was told this when I first started using them.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM
targagr
Pro

thanks guys!!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
breale01
Racer

Originally Posted by DHC6
Just wondering if any one can point me in the right direction as to where I can find decent car care stuff (i.e. wax's, polishers, and especially application/removal products for polishers). I can't seem to find anywhere that sells decent polishing pads, or application and removal pads.
I've ordered from eShine several times with good service as well. Specials now come out every 2 weeks. I tried contacting a local (i.e., Montreal) on-line outfit a couple of times, that advertises the same top quality products (I think it was called Detailing Shop), but no reply so eShine gets my business.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Can be an issue with some US vendors not wanting to ship to an address that's not the one the card is registered to.
The easy way around that is to register an alternate shipping address with your credit card company. All you have to do is call the number on the back of the card to do so and explain to the customer service rep that you are having your orders shipped to a UPS Store (or similar) in the US.

As for dealing with some US vendors that have issues shipping to an alternate address, all you do is inform them at the time of your order that the shipping address is registered with your credit card company.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
you go get them when they arrive, and pays the fees, taxes, duty....

make sure to get a tracking number. when the package shows on internet, you go get it
Seb, when have you ever paid any "duty"; I never have.

The CBSA official told me there are no duties on car/motorcycle parts and accessories, even if they were made in Europe. Tires not made in the US is another matter.

Some tips for those new to this:

Always ask the vendor to e-mail you a PDF invoice to print out and bring along. Sometimes, the vendor forgets to put the invoice in the package which can be an issue crossing the border.

Always print out the UPS/FEDEX delivery confirmation. The very odd time when they claim it hasn't arrived, I produce the delivery confirmation and they continue looking and eventually find it.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

eshine....very good prices
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM
DHC6
Racer

Wow, this us great. This is also good for those who dont want to ship outside of he us. I can have them ship it there and take a nice little drive and get my stuff. This is also great fir when companies offer free shipping within the us. Great info!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHC6
I can have them ship it there and take a nice little drive and get my stuff.
Don't forget to stock up on stuff like oil while there. I get my Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for about $24 a jug (a jug that is larger than ours) instead of $44 at CTC. Three jugs and you've saved $60.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
DHC6
Racer

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Don't forget to stock up on stuff like oil while there. I get my Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for about $24 a jug (a jug that is larger than ours) instead of $44 at CTC. Three jugs and you've saved $60.

ooo, great idea, didn't think of that. Good idea, I wonder if there is a parts store in Platsburgh that sells Red Line? Have to check that out.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

alex, i was supposed to paid for my summitomo tires but the girl let me passed without me paying

but yea, with a step back, i dont remember when i paid duties on my car/atv/bike parts....

hehe
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

These are fabulous products available online from a Canadian company:

http://www.worldsbestwax.com/main.htm
Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
alex, i was supposed to paid for my summitomo tires but the girl let me passed without me paying
Depends where they are made, or if the CBSA didn't notice.

I bought some Yokohama tires for my daily driver and expected to pay duty. The reason why I wasn't charged duty is because they were made in the US.

Quick Reply: Where in Montreal can I buy car care products?