Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Where in Montreal can I buy car care products? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/617069-where-in-montreal-can-i-buy-car-care-products.html)

DHC6 02-16-2011 04:50 PM

Where in Montreal can I buy car care products?

Just wondering if any one can point me in the right direction as to where I can find decent car care stuff (i.e. wax's, polishers, and especially application/removal products for polishers). I can't seem to find anywhere that sells decent polishing pads, or application and removal pads.

Zookie 02-16-2011 05:56 PM

you best bet is to Order online from a Canadian Vendor.

www.eshine.com in ON & www.autowerkesexclusive.com in BC, both are very good to deal with and carry great products at great Canadian Prices!

IXLR8 02-16-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by DHC6 (Post 8305533)
Just wondering if any one can point me in the right direction as to where I can find decent car care stuff...

On-line. Your choice where. I decided to save lots of money and ordered from south of the border...AutoGeek.

DHC6 02-16-2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by IXLR8 (Post 8306250)
On-line. Your choice where. I decided to save lots of money and ordered from south of the border...AutoGeek.

Save from across the border? with 30$ shipping, then another 6% duty, then plus.... bla bla bla, sometimes it comes to more then shopping at home. Don't get me wrong, I buy plenty of stuff south of the border but I always check locally first, like to support our economy when I can. You are right, sometimes you can save big by ordering from the south, but I find on stuff like this, it's the same or more. So unless I can't find it locally first (then at least with in Canada), then I will order from somewhere else.

IXLR8 02-16-2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by DHC6 (Post 8306571)
Save from across the border? with 30$ shipping, then another 6% duty, then plus.... bla bla bla, sometimes it comes to more then shopping at home.

Yes, sometimes it does, but very rarely.

But for your info, no duty, no shipping, no brokerage fees. I and many of us ship to a UPS Store and pick up. The tax savings more than pays for my gas and bridge crossing. And while there, I get to save another $20 per jug of synthetic oil.

But like I stated...your choice where (to buy).

DHC6 02-16-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by IXLR8 (Post 8306614)
Yes, sometimes it does, but very rarely.

But for your info, no duty, no shipping, no brokerage fees. I and many of us ship to a UPS Store and pick up. The tax savings more than pays for my gas and bridge crossing. And while there, I get to save another $20 per jug of synthetic oil.

But like I stated...your choice where (to buy).

You can ship to a UPS store and save all that BS that they rip you off with? I try my best to stay as far away from UPS as possible. Every time I use them they charge me "brokerage/duty fees" (AKA UPS TAX) on stuff that shouldn't even have duty... I much prefer USPS/Canada Post. No BS.

IXLR8 02-16-2011 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by DHC6 (Post 8306707)
You can ship to a UPS store and save all that BS that they rip you off with? I try my best to stay as far away from UPS as possible. Every time I use them they charge me "brokerage/duty fees" (AKA UPS TAX) on stuff that shouldn't even have duty... I much prefer USPS/Canada Post. No BS.

You're right. Thats why I don't use UPS or any similar service to ship orders to Canada; the brokerage fees are a rip off.

I ship to a UPS Store in the US...right across the border. Shipping is usually free within the lower 48, so I gain in that respect.

DHC6 02-16-2011 11:19 PM

ah, I understand now. Good idea actually, Platsburg is close to Montreal, I may give that a try. Thanks for the info.

IXLR8 02-17-2011 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by DHC6 (Post 8306913)
ah, I understand now. Good idea actually, Plattsburg is close to Montreal, I may give that a try. Thanks for the info.

You have to make sure you address your package correctly.

jasonlp 02-17-2011 02:27 PM

5 min drive from the border

Freeport Forwarding
1320 state route #9
Champlain ny

Jaak Lepson 02-17-2011 02:59 PM

Get onto the eshine newsletter as they have specials all the time ... better than USA prices!

IXLR8 02-17-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jasonlp (Post 8308434)
5 min drive from the border

Freeport Forwarding
1320 state route #9
Champlain ny

What do they charge for their holding fee?

IXLR8 02-17-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson (Post 8308545)
... better than USA prices!

That would be refreshing.

I have long given up shopping up here. All business up here seems to understand is MSRP...and what they seem to miss is that the S stands for "suggested" not "fixed".

John 996 TT Cab 02-17-2011 04:41 PM

Suggest you try "Griot's Garage". While they are located in Washington state their big warehouse shipping facility is in the Midwest of the US somewhere. You can order on line or by phone.
Great products and great service!

I get them shipped to my door but I'm sure they'll ship to a UPS store or similar place near the border.
My time is worth more than the customs charges by far. Suggest do not use UPS as their brokerage charges are much higher than FedEx. USPS is even better.

Can be an issue with some US vendors not wanting to ship to an address that's not the one the card is registered to. This is because of potential issues with the card issuers not the border.

John in Vancouver

Paseb 02-17-2011 05:10 PM

go for freeport forwarding

its like 3$ per box

real joke